State Of The Universal Binary

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by apfhex, Sep 20, 2006.

1. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It's been almost 10 months since the first Intel Macs were released and I think 16 months since Apple announced the switch? I just want to say, I'm impressed by the current state of Intel support in the Mac software world. Since getting my mac pro a week ago, so far the only ones I use that aren't have been Adobe Creative Suit apps, while I expected to be using a few more than just those in Rosetta. When I look at new software releases in MacUpdate, the majority are UB as well.

This may sound like a "Stevenote", but developers have done a nice job. Who's with me? :D :clap:

2. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

I agree. :) I only need to use Rosetta emulation for just Word and Photoshop really (and it's nice to know that those two are being worked on).

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Well... yeah, but other than the Apple pro apps, there are a lot of pro software developers that are dragging on releases. For me, I don't care about UB widgets or Internet browsers... I want/need Adobe apps. to get on board. Aside from Photoshop and Illustrator, they are behind on After Effects, Flash and Dreamweaver etc. On the 3d side, Newtek has been testing a UB of Lightwave 9, but have not officially announced when it's being released. Autodesk, to my knowledge, hasn't even announced the UB for Maya much less released a UB of it. Then there are the plugin dealers for all these apps... they are way behind! There are many more pro apps that I use, but you get the point. So, yeah the list of UB apps is getting long... but how many of them are for real world professional production instead of prosumer/novice users? If you are in that camp, you must have a smile. If you are a professional, you either have to switch software, run in Windows or stick with Rossetta for another 6 months.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, I'm impressed mostly. But not by the larger companies really. I mean why would I want to spend £450+ on Office for it too run in Rosetta? And the same with Photoshop... Stuff like that isnt good, but bar that I'd say they've done pretty well yeah.

5. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

True... the only real major apps I use are the Creative Suit, and maybe a tiny little bit of Office, where performance doesn't matter so much to me.

But I definitely see things headed in the right direction quickly. Obviously the big apps take a lot more time (partly cause they have to switch to Xcode and such).