State Rankings According to Health

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Nov 18, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Minnesota is first in literacy and in health. I guess it was a good idea to move up here 7 years ago.

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Ha! Louisiana is 49th! :rolleyes:

In all honesty, we're an overweight, lazy, unhealthy state from what I've seen. Lifestyles here tend revolve around food & drink, and excessively at that; live for the moment & party is how it can be.

It really bothers me, but what can one do? I should go to another city where people are healthier & have more active lifestyles. I do everything I can to maintain my own health, but I love this city's charm too much to leave. ;)

4. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

woo-hoo go mass! all of new england ranked pretty high. not bad.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Virginia is right in the middle...

What is strange is that in a number of states, smoking has increased since last year....pathetic if you ask me.

It surprise me to see that Utah had the lowest rate while Kentucky had the highest - I would have guessed Alaska for the latter.

D

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Washington is no. 11, I would have thought it'd be higher, with its proximity to everything outdoors :) Plus all the healthconscious people living here...interesting :)

7. judith macrumors regular

judith

Hey now, don't be so cruel! We fortunately moved to beautiful Washington State, but when we lived in California, I used to tell my better half that in smoking, I was breathing better air than him because at least my air was being filtered! Call it extremely poor air quality - call it rationalizing:D

I am also surprised that Washington ranked eleventh. Seems we would rank higher, as there is a very high level of health conciousness and outdoor activities. But then again we all really love our java - probably not very healthy, but another plus for WA in my opinion.

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That is true. I'd be curious to know what the statistics are to LA by itself.

9. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

This is why I put a little disclaimer for you eyelikeart.

You should not let it bother you, it is not your fault. If you are happy where you live, then you should stay. Being happy is very important to quality of life. The important thing is that you respect and take care of your own health.

10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Ask and you shall receive.

BAM!

11. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

12. Java macrumors regular

California not in the top 10?

Wait. What's up? How did California not make the top ten? With San Diego being the fittest town in America and San Francisco close behind (men's health magazine), what happened?

Oh, well. That is just life.:)