Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Minnesota is first in literacy and in health. I guess it was a good idea to move up here 7 years ago.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Ha! Louisiana is 49th! :rolleyes:

In all honesty, we're an overweight, lazy, unhealthy state from what I've seen. Lifestyles here tend revolve around food & drink, and excessively at that; live for the moment & party is how it can be.

It really bothers me, but what can one do? I should go to another city where people are healthier & have more active lifestyles. I do everything I can to maintain my own health, but I love this city's charm too much to leave. ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Virginia is right in the middle...

Challenges include a high prevalence of smoking at 24.5 percent of the population and low support for public health care that is 17 percent below the average state.

What is strange is that in a number of states, smoking has increased since last year....pathetic if you ask me.

It surprise me to see that Utah had the lowest rate while Kentucky had the highest - I would have guessed Alaska for the latter.

D

judith

macrumors regular
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Virginia is right in the middle...

What is strange is that in a number of states, smoking has increased since last year....pathetic if you ask me.

D

Hey now, don't be so cruel! We fortunately moved to beautiful Washington State, but when we lived in California, I used to tell my better half that in smoking, I was breathing better air than him because at least my air was being filtered! Call it extremely poor air quality - call it rationalizing:D

I am also surprised that Washington ranked eleventh. Seems we would rank higher, as there is a very high level of health conciousness and outdoor activities. But then again we all really love our java - probably not very healthy, but another plus for WA in my opinion.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Stelliform
Hey Eye, look on the bright side... at least we can look down on Mississippi! :D For a while we even lost that bragging right! :D

That is true. I'd be curious to know what the statistics are to LA by itself.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by eyelikeart
Ha! Louisiana is 49th! :rolleyes:

In all honesty, we're an overweight, lazy, unhealthy state from what I've seen. Lifestyles here tend revolve around food & drink, and excessively at that; live for the moment & party is how it can be.

It really bothers me, but what can one do? I should go to another city where people are healthier & have more active lifestyles. I do everything I can to maintain my own health, but I love this city's charm too much to leave. ;)

This is why I put a little disclaimer for you eyelikeart.

You should not let it bother you, it is not your fault. If you are happy where you live, then you should stay. Being happy is very important to quality of life. The important thing is that you respect and take care of your own health.

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
California not in the top 10?

Wait. What's up? How did California not make the top ten? With San Diego being the fittest town in America and San Francisco close behind (men's health magazine), what happened?

Oh, well. That is just life.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.