State Senator Wants Cockfights, with Gloves

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by craigdawg, Jan 27, 2005.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i loved this story, i totally want to see the boxing gloves...also, how they'll attach them to the poor rooster.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i come from the philippines where cock fighting is still widely practices, i dont know if its legal or not but i do know that if there are laws agaisnt it its not enforced. i personally dont get offended by the idea of cockfighting, but hey if this allows them to continue the sport and no chickens get harmed im all for it :)

4. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Either this guy is trying to create loopholes for the cockfighters (are they a big constituency?), or he doesn't understand the allure of cockfighting. People watch and bet on it to see roosters tear each other apart. It's a bloodsport. Putting clothes and gloves on them would turn it into the equivalent of the squirrely riding the jetski: cute the first time you see it, but never entertaining again.

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i believe the senator is doing it because its a large revenue opportunity for his state....

6. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

while were at it, why dont we revive my dream of seeing two chimps with knifes tied to their hands put in a box and fight to the death</sarcasm>

that is disgusting. This is one of the only things I agree with PETA on.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Cockfighting is personally repulsive, useless cruelty to innocent animals. This sadly is also done with dogs. A lot of the reason for the relaxing of the law is bound to be money. The gloves and the electronic device probably wouldn't last long. Although it would record hits and allow scoring. Sadly think that some men enjoy watching the cruelty. :eek: :(

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The same could be said for people who watch Mike Tyson fight nowadays.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I personally don't like that type of violence. Just can't bare to be around something like that. I'm weak in that regard, could never even see myself in a fight.

10. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I've seen cock fighting in Mexico and IMO it is a bit hard and disturbing to watch. True, animals fight on their own in the wild and what not, but thats the thing, "on their own". I don't think people should put animals into a position where they are meant to harm or even kill eachother.

Not sure how these glove would make the fight less harmfull, but I know its harmful w/o them.

11. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Whew! (relief!) Until I read the story, I thought "gloves" was just a name for "condoms" :D

Animals kill each other all the time in nature but I do object when it's caused by man for his "amusement." As "barbaric" as a sport like boxing is, at least those involved (arguably :p) have the capacity to make a conscious decision to be a part of the situation. An animal put in a death match by man for his amusement does not have an option.

12. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Cruelty is excusable when there's money involved... or didn't you know?

Besides, who's going to speak up for animals? PETA? They're a joke even to animal lovers. The ASPCA, humane society, etc might as well be invisible. Otherwise it wouldn't have taken so long to get cockfighting criminalized in the first place.

But maybe they shouldn't criminalize it... What's next, what KFC does?

14. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Actually, probably should.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Huh...just wait'll you get a load of the little silk trunks the roosters will have to wear.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is really sick. My thought on the video is, wonder is the whole thing was staged trying to prove a point. Throwing the chicken like that would bruise them, certainly wouldn't make an appealing appearance at the market. I consider that to be extreme cruelty an highly uncalled for action. It used to bother me when my grandfather would capture a chicken by the legs and cut off the head with a large knife, he would hold the neck on a specially prepared tree trunk. Just to frighten me more he would let it loose and it run around for a while. It was too squeamish for me. :( :eek:

17. Mac|caM macrumors member

I'm actually from Oklahoma, and I'm appalled by this. This senator went on NPR to talk about this bill, and he sounded like a complete idiot. Oklahoma doesn't need any more bad press than it already gets. Cockfighting is disgusting and inhumane. Tying blades to animals and making them kill each other is simply disgusting. Even if they don't actually hurt each other, it's still just sick. Anyone who gets pleasure from death and pain is just weird. Think of the uproar if this were an animal "higher up" than a chicken.

18. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

That video is awful it what is shows. It was a little hard to see due to the lighting but I saw enough. I took an enviromental science class before and they showed a video like this, but nothing like this abuse. Almost makes me not want to eat at KFC no more. I know those animals are meant for food, but it should be a quick death, not utter abuse and torture as that video portrays. :( :mad:

19. anubis macrumors 6502a

I'm from New Mexico where cockfighting is still legal in certain counties. I've also attended cockfights.

The reason why people attach razor blades or gaffs (2 to 3 inch long ice pick looking things) is so that the cocks will fight to the death. Betting on which cock will live is the only reason why people go to cockfights.

Cocks have natural "spurs" on the legs to fight other cocks with. These spurs aren't typically deadly. I don't understand why "boxing gloves" would be needed - just outlaw the use razors and gaffs.

Of course, if they did this, the cocks would not fight to the death, and determining the winner would be a matter of opinion. If the government requires the use of "gloves", then the point of having a cockfight will be eliminated. I think people would move to underground venues for cockfights with razors and gaffs.

Here are some of the arguments used to keep cockfights legal here:

Compared to chickens that are raised for food, gamecocks have much better lives. Gamecocks are raised individually. They are given the best food, nutritional suppliments, and medial care available. I have a friend who's parents raise gamecocks, and he often complains that the gamecocks "eat better than" he does. Compare this to commercial chicken growers who feed their chickens other dead chickens. Hens are given hormones to produce so many eggs, they literally die from malnutrition. (These hens are fed to the chickens you eat at KFC). Commerically grown chickens are packed into cages that are barely big enough for them to stand up in. This is their whole life. Gamecocks, on the other hand, have free reign over large plats of land. My friend says that his parents' gamecocks "live like kings".

Compare those conditions to that of pigs that are raised for food. From birth, they are placed in pens that are so small, they can't even turn around in them.

I personally don't think that cockfighting is particularly cruel compared to the meat industry as a whole. Until those against cockfighting concern themselves with the welfare of all animals (and actually do something about it, like stop eating meat), then I don't think they have a particular reason to complain about cockfighting.

Just my 2 cents. Don't hate me because my opinion goes against the societal grain.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You mention about how well the gamecock is treated growing up and prior to the fight. That is all well and good. It still doesn't change the way they die. The has to be a terrible painful death. I really wonder about the person that would derive enjoyment from this sport. :eek: :(

21. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Um, almost?