Staten Island Ferry Accident Kills Ten

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by applemacdude, Oct 15, 2003.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers also go out to the victims and their families. According to news it is the worst disaster in history, because of the 10 deaths. It is a very sad story.

3. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i heard about it when i got home from school. i'm sad now :(

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I feel sorry for the victims. Having said that, I feel that the ferry company (NY/NJ-PA?) should carry some of the blame for;
    1) Buying a ferry that could not withstand the crash.
    2) Remodeing the Ferry Dock to be composed of new materials.

I say these things not to be insensitive, but becuase it seems wrong that there should be such a cost for such an accident. I live in the Seattle area and the Puget Sound, ferries are used to transport people from the west to the east. (Bridges being cost prohibitve). In 75 years, there have been several crashes, and several deaths (on the old wooden boats, remodeled or retired by 1979), and since 1980, there have been dock crashes, and runnings aground, but never was the side of a ferry ripped off, or any internal dammage caused from such accidents. There have not been any accident related deaths in 25 years on the Washington State Ferries. Why in the Largest single city in the US, they cannot have a ferry that is made structurally sound, so this kind of thing can't happen??

TEG

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

:rolleyes:

6. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Oh come on, even the Titanic sank. The Staten Island Ferry on the other hand, did not sink despite running into a dock at full speed. The problem is not in the structural integrity of the Ferry or the dock. Ferries should not be running into docks. An investigation is still ongoing, and speculation abounds about the captain being under the influence or possibly even asleep. This was a human fault, not a technological one.