States likely to cause armegedon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by question fear, Oct 26, 2003.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

So, I'm sitting here watching Dogma and it's sparked a discussion with a friend of mine...which state do you think would be most likely to be responsible for the apocalypse? In Dogma, its my home state, good old New Jersey, but I'd like to hear if anyone wants to step up and nominate a different state (or country) as the originator of the end....
    --carly

2. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

3. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

this is kind an odd subject, don't you think?

anyway, i nominate washington DC.
    don't know why though.

4. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

washington DC isnt a state.

I nominate california.

5. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I don't think Districts count but maybe we should expand the possible locations. How about Chungchin, China? People squished together with poor medical care and sanitation might lead to another new virus strain that could wipe us all out.

6. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Texas. Or some other overly conservative group of freaks (no foul to Texas Mac users - but all other Texans bother me). They are the most sure of themselves, and often the least informed at the same time.

Then again, Montana might cause some trouble.... Or Michigan! Augh! Born there and all my family was raised there, so I won't apologize for ripping that god-awful bunch of gun toting rednecks.

Dan

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It will, indeed, be North Dakota. Seems they have quietly amassed quite an arsenal up there.
    Link

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Anyone care to take bets on how long until this gets locked or moved to political discussion?

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Aw come on, it's been in good humor so far...

10. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I will not go down to your level, but I hope that your attitude will not bring you a hell of a lot of bad karma. You are an example of what's wrong with this world. "They are wrong, but I am not, so screw them."

I will refuse to get into a long-winded discussion here, but the whole thread itself is bogus.

I am from Texas, and I am understanding of the Red Necks that you refer to. I don't necessarily sympathize with them, but I understand them. And that's what I hope you can also realize, or you will be a really sorry human being when you grow up.

11. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    What is a redneck? I am supposed to know, being from Kentucky. But, I really don't know. I know one skinny little white man in his forties who wears a cowboy hat, speaks with a really strong accent, lives in a little farming town, and spends his weekends riding the mechanical bull in a bar in Lexington. But, all the "liberal" African-Americans love him, and he gets along great with them. At work, when R&B or Rap music is being played, he sings along in his accent word for word. Or, what about when I go eat lunch at "Wilson's •Pool•Beer•Lunch•? The place is full of black men in their sixties that are dipping, smoking, cursing, drinking cheap beer, and eating greasy food. Are they rednecks? What about country singers from Texas that have learned the ropes of the music industry and are now multi-millonaire producers, despite the fact that to most of the world their music stinks? Are they rednecks? Or, here's one that may piss a few people off: What about the Georgia Democrats last year that were fighting to keep the rebel flag as part of the Georgia State flag? Are they rednecks??

Sorry for ranting, but I hear terms like redneck so much but I'm still unsure how to apply them. No hard feelings, anyone.

12. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

And the purpose of this thread is...

It's just been degraded to something worthy of being in the political forums...

Not all Texans are as bad as you think. I just love people's opinions about Texans. It makes me feel better being a Texan, because I don't judge people from other states by a few 'weirdos'.

13. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

the original purpose came from a conversation iw as having wiht a friend about the likelihood of a loophole or other such unlikely source of armegeddon really existing in new jersey...i realize now that was unclear...sorry.
    --carly

14. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

I live in Minot, North Dakota, a town surrounded by most of those nuclear warheads. As you drive through the countryside here, you can't help but spot them on the sides of the county roads. They are everywhere.

I visited my grandparents in New Town, ND (a town one county over) a couple of weeks ago, and I spotted maybe three sites on the way, all just off the road.

Further, we have a tremendous military base north of Minot, home of most of the nation's B-52 bombers (many attribute the life of Minot to the survival of the airbase).

15. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

That loop-hole concept was really, really far fetched, and was kind made to just make the movie have a point other then to bash on the church.

What the movie did was an excellent job at showing the flaws in Judeo/Christian Dogma, and how unquestioning , non-critical acceptance of the biblical writings can do more damage then good.

I particularly enjoyed, the "jesus wasn't white, Jesus was black" -( the 13 apostle played by Chris Rock) - idea

He lived in the middle the east, he was definatly not white. Even early Christian and Byzantine art depicts him with a dark complexion. It was the Romanesque artists of the early 10th century through to the Renaissance that started depicting him as a white guy. and since most well know works are from the Renaissance, along with the fact that the early "players" in the development of the modern church were white, ignorance took it's toll and jesus became white.

This also does a good commentary at criticizing racist catholics, which to me has been whole different battle....

it's amazing to listen to my "devoted catholic" grandparents spout off racist comments - i spend 13 years going through the catholic school system, and i don't remember the bible ever saying that it is okay to discriminate.

Second, was the whole story behind the cardinal and his corrupt approach to "filling seats" on sunday. This showed how the church has lost so much control over the years, that they have gone from being in power an politics, where people starved and they grew fat, to the church infact looking for converts.

I may just be a Jaded Catholic, but after 13 years, of which the last 5 have been spent critically analyzing, and dicecting my faith. i find myself thinking the following:

The Armageddon is a metaphor for the fall of the institution. Without a major reformation, the church as it is know now, will fail, and will be destroyed. The second coming is the rebirth of a good idea, the way it was before someone screwed it up.

Hows that for your Apocalyptic loophole

16. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Oh, come on... I didn't imply any sort of "wrong/right." I stated (with dripping humor about a facetious and fun thread) that Texas is full of pride over nothing (only joined the union because Mexico kept invading). In fact, you sound like Texas pride - unable to see humor in an intentional over-generalization about people I don't know. I slammed my birth state right after that! Lemme slam three more just to make sure:

Grew up half my life in Tennessee and the economy and education there warrants shutting it down.

Half my life in Kansas and the farmers never stop complaining about the season - too much rain, not enough... never a good year. People live as if the whole world has their views.

Spent the last 16 months in California, one of the most wretched, polluting states in the country. Gun shots, robberies, vandalism all the time. Bums urinating on the sidewalk.

In case you think I'm unable to see the good in anything, I love it here. I met some of the most interesting people I have ever known in KS. TN is one of the most beautiful places in the US.

As for karma, don't worry about mine. I stack up good karma points all day long. I'm one of the nicest people you could meet, going out of my way to bring a smile to your face. I just don't like Texas very much, and I took a moment to bash it (and two other states) for fun. Don't be so uptight.

Dan

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Hard to solve the murder of a Redneck. The DNA is all the same, and there ain't no teeth for ID from the dental records. :D

I'm a Good Ol' Boy, not a Redneck. I throw my beer cans in the back of the pickemup, not in the ditch.

But after wandering through some twenty countries across both the Pacific and the Atlantic, and spending a fair amount of time in some forty of the U.S. states, I'm just really, really happy to be in Texas. :)

From revenuee: "...and how unquestioning , non-critical acceptance of the biblical writings can do more damage then good."

Isn't this true of any dogma, whether religious or political? Lenin took Marx' ball and ran with it; mullahs preach jihad.

:), 'Rat

18. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Yes, it is, i concentrated on catholisism because i know it best, and i have been part of the system. I didn't want to offend anyone by spouting of my opinions that i could not back up about other religions, because i have no where near the extensive background in the others as i have compared to catholic dogma - we can talk in a few years about the others when i'm done my major/minor :)

particularly the statement you quoted, was targeted at those who seem to use the bible for everything. I have been in countless arguments both defending and opposing, the "pro" issues (pro choice, pro capital punishment, pro euthanasia, and it has never seemed to amaze me how many people have based there arguments on either "thou shall not kill" or " and eye for an eye" - depending on which side they are arguing. And since they are contradictory, i have found that a simply refuting by using the contradiction, many "opponents" have been stumped because they have never really considered it anymore then just the words on the page... Either way, a catholic shouldn't even be basing their arguments on those statements because they come from the Old testament, and Catholicism is based on the New Testament.

I'm not saying that everything in the institution is bad,
    "Thou shall not kill" is a good idea, but i need more of a defense then... ""God" said so in the bible"

I also distain the arrogance of the church in suggesting that there's is the only god, by capitalizing the "G". And when making reference to other religions they use "god" with a small "g", or in the case of the Muslims, catholics also refer to him as Allah - which is "The God". Ironically it's the same "God" because, Muslims acknowledge all the same prophets as the catholics do, and if i remember my reading correctly, they acknowledged jesus as the potential messiah, but because he was killed, the Muslim faith claims Muhammad, and this is where the two split.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And I thought this thread was supposed to be fun.:mad:

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sorry, mac. :)

Trouble is, most of the funny stuff I know about extremist preachers ain't fitten for a family newspaper.

:D, 'Rat