static coming from speakers

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wirelessimports, Mar 28, 2005.

1. wirelessimports macrumors member

This is going to sound strange... at least to me it does.

I used to have a dell laptop with Altec Lancing THX 5.1 ADA-995 speakers connected to a 3 female connecter which came out to 1 male connecter (all 3.5mm). I plugged it into my laptop and it worked just fine.

Now I use the same configuration with my mac mini and everytime the hard drive is either accessing a webpage, downloading something or just in general working on anything you hear static through the speakers.

It might be the speakers because they are VERY powerful. They dont have their own volume control so the OSX volume has to be set at like 2 for normal and 4 for very loud and all the way for deafining.

Any idea on how to fix this? would getting a 5.1 USB sound card do the trick? Can it be done without?

Oh and yea... when i press mute on the keyboard the static stops as well regardless of what the computer is doing.

Thanks

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My crap speakers also do that. If I have them plugged into my PB, and no music is playing, I hear a slight buzz. If I play music for a while, or leave them on for hours, they start buzzing quite audibly.

I don't think its my speakers because when I unplug them from my Powerbook, they stop making the buzzing sound. And sometimes I turn them off overnight, and in the morning, the buzz is only faint again.

I don't know what your case is. Do they make any noise if you unplug them from your PB? Does the noise get worse if use use them for a long time?

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I also encountered this buzz a few weeks ago. I played with the connector a bit and the issue seemed to have cleared.
    A few days ago i got it again and went out to buy an iMic (for using skype). The output on the iMic works perfect. If i now plug in my speakers directly in the mini i get the buzz...

there was an other thread about this issue a few weeks ago.

There must be something wrong with the connector...

bah.

4. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

No, I have a Mac Mini. If I raise the volume over a few bars (which is really loud) it drains out the noise of the static. But who wants loud music all the time?

Im just gonna get a 5.1 USB sound card and see if it does the trick... any suggestions on which to get thats mac compatiable?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Sounds to me like bad shielding on the cables. Because the power amps are running at 100%, they are amplifying every little bit of interference the cables pick up. You wouldn't notice this as much with speakers that had an amplifier volume control. It could also be that the Mini is not as well RF shielded as your former machine, or that in moving the cable you worsened the break in the shield. Can you try a new cable set?

6. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Are you using Airport/Wi-Fi? I have my Mini connected to my JBL Creature speakers, and I can noticeably hear the wi-fi I/O over the speakers. Muting the speakers (at the speakers) makes it go away, of course, but I haven't tried muting the computer (via the software volume control). I plan on trying some experimenting (like changing the Airport channel, etc) but haven't got around to it. It's an annoyance, but so far I'm living with it ok (probably because I'm otherwise so happy with my Mini!).

7. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

It could definetly be the airport thats causing it. I turned it off and there went the static, i turned it on and almost immediately it went right back on.

So any suggestions? I really like my speakers, so you think a 5.1 usb sound card would do the trick? or something else?

8. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Well, i have/had both airport and bluetooth turned of (no use for them yet). So the static has another source.

good news:
    The (my) problem is solved. Why :confused:
    Speakers are connected to the iMic
    Headphone is connected to the mini's audio out (for skype)
    Headphone mic is connected to iMic in

The cable connecting the mini with the amp is at the same place now as when it was connected to the mini's audio out, running behind 2 crt monitors and a bunch of power adapters.

No static for me anymore, so i'm happy. Good luck to you all fixing yours.

9. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

no imic here.

fuc king apple, i called them and got some moron tech on the line that didnt know his elbow from his ass when it came to macs. im like how about the aiport? hd? umm sound card? anything... he had no clue and sent me a ton of emails which were of absolutly no use.