Static electricity shocks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by titatom, Mar 25, 2011.

  1. titatom
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location:
    Montréal, QC
    #1
    Hello all !

    I own a early 2008 pre unibody MBP. It's been sometime now, when I leave my computer for a while and come back to it, I get a little electricity shock when I touch it. I doubt my body has so much electricity in it and I was wondering if it could be a power leak somewhere in the MBP. Is this kind of shock common/dangerous for my computer ?

    Thank you
     
  2. miles01110
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    It likely has nothing to do with your computer. Touch something metal before you touch your computer and you'll discharge any accumulated charge.
     
  3. titatom
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location:
    Montréal, QC
    #3
    Thank you for your opinion !

    I'll go see a doctor instead of an Apple Genius ! :p

    Maybe I'm growing super powers !


    ....I think this is /thread....hehehe
     
  4. macbwizard
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

    macbwizard

    Joined:
    May 23, 2005
    #4
    Another thing you could do is make sure your MBP is plugged into a grounded electrical outlet. I notice this only when I'm plugged in with a "two prong" plug rather than a full grounded plug.
     
  5. miles01110
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #5
    Using a grounded plug makes no difference if you've accumulated a charge on your body.
     
  6. macbwizard
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

    macbwizard

    Joined:
    May 23, 2005
    #6
    Yup, true, whereas touching something metal before touching your computer makes no difference if your computer has built up a static charge.

    When I'm travelling abroad and using ungrounded plugs my MBP always has this "staticy" feeling when I just start using it.
     
  7. dime21
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2010
    #7
    cat pelts, aside from making nice winter house slippers, can also be used to manage static electricity.
     

Share This Page