Stay connected window

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by frogfroggy, Sep 29, 2006.

1. frogfroggy macrumors member

Sep 22, 2006
    Hi guys while I was downloading the software updates of Apple on my mothers new iMac I realized after a while a window shows up telling me if I want to stay connected or disconnect from the internet. How can I turn that window off so my mother wont get confused, and for me its pretty annoying too.
    And once I download updates for os x do the older installed components somehow stuff my hard drive like in windows? Or do they delete themselves after a newer update has been released... ?
  2. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    1. System Preferences > Network > Show: Modem > PPP Options

2. Your HD won't fill up with redundant versions of OS files. You can CHOOSE to keep the update installer packages ("Install and Keep Package" in Software Update's menu--useful as backups or to move them to another machine that lacks Internet) but otherwise you won't accumulate too much useless update data.
  3. frogfroggy thread starter macrumors member

Sep 22, 2006
    Does that mean the already installed updates are only installed without the package or with ? What is the default setting ? And where do I locate the packages if I have downloaded them ?
    And thanks for the tip.
  4. deebster macrumors 6502

Oct 21, 2004
    Olde Englande
    The default action in OS X is to not keep the updates.

It does keep a package file though, but this is only a receipt (and is in the HD>Library>Receipts folder) to let your system know what has been installed. You can't use the receipt as an installer.

As nagromme said, you can choose to manually save the update when downloading it, or go get it from macupdate or Apple's site.

I tend to download and keep the latest OS X combo update handy, just in case my Mac goes tits up and I'm without a net connection.
  5. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Right - by default the installers are not kept. But if you choose "Install and Keep Package" (or "Download Only" if you want to wait and install later), then after the download is complete, the Finder will open a window and show you where the file(s) are.

I think they go in Library/Packages.
  6. frogfroggy thread starter macrumors member

Sep 22, 2006
    Another question when I chat with Adium and I go onto sites the Font is soo small on the highest resolution on the iMac. My eyes are killing me ! Any ideas how I can change it? without changing the resolution would be nice