Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Okay, this is just too bizarre for words:

Woman Who Died in '03 Left in Front of TV

Ohio Authorities Say Woman's Body Left in Front of a TV Set for 2 1/2 Years

The Associated Press

CINCINNATI - A dead woman dressed in white was positioned in a chair in front of a television set for 2 1/2 years because she told her caregiver that she didn't want to be buried and planned to return, the coroner said.

"Don't show my body when I'm dead," Hamilton County Coroner Dr. O'dell Owens said Monday in describing Johannas Pope's wishes. "Don't bury me. I'm coming back."

Pope, 61, died Aug. 29, 2003. Her caretaker and friend, whose name has not been released, left the woman upstairs in the home with the television and air conditioning on while the body slowly decayed and mummified, authorities said.

Some family members continued to live downstairs in the house since her death.

Police went to the house last Wednesday after a relative who hadn't seen Pope in 2 1/2 years called them. They found a staircase behind a door blocked by a basket and climbed to the second floor where they found the body.

"Standing outside, one could smell death," Owens said.

Owens said he had not determined the cause of death but found no signs of abuse or foul play.

Authorities are working to determine whether any crimes were committed, but Owens said the caretaker and family members apparently did not benefit in any way by keeping Pope.
Link

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Some family members continued to live downstairs in the house since her death.

How cold and uncaring can these people be? My sister and I live just 20 some odd miles from each other; and if we don't hear from each other after a week - WE ARE MAKING CALLS TO WORK, HOME OR THE POLICE!!!!!

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
Chip NoVaMac said:
How cold and uncaring can these people be? My sister and I live just 20 some odd miles from each other; and if we don't hear from each other after a week - WE ARE MAKING CALLS TO WORK, HOME OR THE POLICE!!!!!
it's not that they didn't realize she was dead- she wanted them to keep her from being buried because she believed she would come back.

That's still hell of creepy though. Although I don't know what I would do as a family member in this case... definitely NOT what they did, but what do you do when the person tells you not to bury them? cremating could work, although that's like obeying the letter of the law, not the intent...

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
When I looked at the title of the thread, I thought it was related to the Apple Online Store closing! :D

Freaky... I cannot imagine how disturbing it would be if I know one of my relatives is dead and his/her corpse is just upstairs DECAYING! for 2 and a half years! This is completely ridiculous...

I believe, burying is respect to a dead person, and sooner a dead person gets buried, the better...

"Standing outside, one could smell death," Owens said.
errr, now that's for sure!

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
It sounds fishy to me!

1) You'd be able to smell the rotting body downstairs... there'd always be a nasty smell by that door.

2) You'd have a large amount of flies in your house

3) 2.5 years?! Wtf!!

4) Family downstairs?! Didn't they wonder where they're aunt/grandmother/etc was?! "Did you call Mum down for dinner?" "Yes... 2 and a half years ago."

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Damn, wouldn't her body stink the place up?

I can understand not "burying" the body, but at least do something to make the smell go away.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i bet that was a nice smell!

a the vick in the world wouldnt stop you smelling that!

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i wonder if the tv and air con was on all that time! that would cost quite a bit in electricity if so

also i wonder if its like when you fall asleep listening to something you will wake up and remember it all, so when she wsa going to come back to her body would she know all that has been going on in the world?

humm.. so many questions! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.