std. deviation and c programming

Discussion in 'Community' started by janey, Feb 2, 2004.

1. janey macrumors 603

janey

i got stuck doing an assignment from my C class because I didn't know how the hell I would write a function that can calculate the standard deviation of an array of numbers...
    (i know what standard deviation is, just not how to calculate it and stuff like that...)
    Could anyone help? Language's gotta be C, supposedly there isnt a function in math.h that does the hard work for you...etc. etc.

2. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

shouldn't you be taking chemistry and biology, like a good asian girl? :D :D :D :D :D

4. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

**** man, I like chem and bio, but I prefer programming over those :)
    besides, I dont know C (its freakin difficult and annoying though, everything I've learned so far) and I'd like to know it maybe it'll help me when i'm trying to relearn objective-c (doing it with prior knowledge of java isnt that useful).
    MacCoaster from #macrumors convinced me into learning c# too...soooo....yeah....

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Son of Indian parents, here, I'm allowed to say that and not buy your crap. ;)You know what to do. Pre-med's in your GENES baby! Just kidding. I've always wanted to learn C++ and Java, but I haven't yet gotten around to it.

Maybe I'll fit it in sometime between being a good Asian. :D

Best of luck with the C. Wow, that's a similar phrase to one I used with ol' g30f (now a legend on these here threads), but it meant something quite a bit different there.

6. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

übergeek, learning additional languages is a good thing because the more languages you learn, the more you will learn about programming in general (as opposed to programming in a certain language).

However, once you've learned more about C and either Objective C or Java, I'd recommend to go for something vastly different. Try Scheme (or even Lisp) for some radically different concepts. Prolog is also fun to dabble with. Then, go and learn Perl :D .

Remember, it's not about learning languages that are hot in the industry. It's about learning how to learn languages (fast) by acquiring lots of different skills.

7. Dros macrumors 6502

Once I learned Perl I forgot everything I knew about programming. It was all hack and kludge after that. Of course, I still get lots more done with Perl!

8. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

hehe gimme a break yeesh i just got started with high school...j/k
    Well after i try to learn languages people are trying to get me to learn, I think ill try learning something fun :) ( i have brainf*ck and f*ckf*ck already sorta down though...just need practice :p i thought it would be bizarre to learn)

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

C really isn't so bad but there is a trend to code as little as possible and make it unintelligible without comments, if possible. On the other hand, my C code ends up with long names and explanations on what isn't obvious.

You'll get there. You can always ask about techniques.

10. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Learning C is fine.

Whatever you do though, do not, and I repeat, DO NOT learn FORTRAN or COBOL.

If you learn FORTRAN or COBOL, the government will hunt you down, and put you into a deep freeze next to Walt Disney and you won't see the light of day until July 1, 2099.

:D

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what about dos?

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

actually, are you saying that people who had to take one of those, cobol or fortran, are old or something ;)

i know i am old, but not that OLD:p

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

We still need COBOL (and RPG/IV) programmers. If not for them, we wouldn't know how much money is really out there. Those are the only languages that don't have to simulate money--they deal with it exactly.

14. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

fro what would you know about programming :p i thought you were an engineer...at a company...that we all love...:p

15. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Don't feel stressed :). Just wanted to get you interested in something that is quite different to Java/C#/Objective C :).

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

we still dont know:p