Steam and MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Scuba629, Jun 22, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

How many run steam on their MacBook airs? And if u do is it only on Mac or windows too?

2. macrumors 6502

I run it both on Windows and OSX.

Use Windows to play large games like Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Borderlands, and Dawn Of War. It even runs Sonic Generations (just about).

On OSX I only really install smaller games like Limbo, Plants v Zombies, and Super Meat Boy.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Does it work well as a vm or parallels instance? Or should I install bootcamp?

4. macrumors 6502

I've never tried gaming using VMware, always had Boot Camp and it's great.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help. Guess I'll be formatting my Mac tonight. Like a clean machine and now I have a window vm. Back to bootcamp I go!

6. macrumors 6502a

Portal 2 runs great on my 11'' 2012 through Lion + Steam.

7. macrumors member

If you want to use it for games, you MUST go the boot camp route. You can still use the partition in a VM as well, but VMs aren't given full access to your video card so it wouldn't perform nearly as well.

Also, although Steam is available for both PC and Mac, I would definitely say the PC version is much better.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

Oh great! I didn't know u could use it as a VM as well! This is great news! Need to get home to format.

9. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

With VM with older games, I have to use VM because Windows 7 won't play a few of my games even with compatibility settings like Star Trek Academy, Star Trek Armada. I did play Crysis on a VM on my iMac 2010 was it played better than a PC I had in 2009. I get my Macbook Air 2012 today and will see what VM does for me with gaming. I know that Dead Island won't work in VM when I run Windows 7 that that might be a DirectX 11 issue.

10. macrumors 6502a

i run steam on mac. I find myself playing L4D2 all the time!

On VMWare Fusion I don't use steam.

11. thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have a steam account yet but I'm told it's the thing to have. So im making one when I get home.

Don't know if I will play many games on windows but its always nice to have the option.