Steam on iMac and Keyboards

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mikefal33, Jan 23, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I have Parallels 8 running Windows 8 on my iMac and was wondering if I could use the Windows 8 feature and play the Windows only games on Steam? I also wanted to see of anyone had recomendations on backlit keyboards for my iMac.

2. macrumors 601

What Windows 8 feature are you referring to?

3. macrumors 6502a

Saitek makes good backlit keyboards. and yes you can ultimatley play steam through Parallels but not recommended. best bet is to use bootcamp and play directly and take advantage of the native hardware in Windows

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to know if the Windows based games will download or if I can only play Mac Games.

5. macrumors 68030

forty2j

If you fire Steam up through Windows in Parallels, it will download Windows games. ( I wouldn't recommend actually playing in Parallels though. )

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I did some research and I think I am going to dual boot Windows 7 now and upgrade to 8 later with Bootcamp. Thanks for the help.

7. macrumors 68040

Yep, definitely use Bootcamp if you want to play games. It is theoretically possible to play some games in Parallels but performance will not be nearly as good as Bootcamp.

8. macrumors 68030

forty2j

Just a little side tip: you can tell Parallels to use your bootcamp partition. So you can do your downloading and maintenance while in OS X and reboot only to actually play.

9. WilliamG, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

macrumors 603

I made a thread on this, but depending on what games you play in Parallels, they actually run quite well. Torchlight 2 in 2560x1440p, for example, - 60fps. I need to test other games, but so far my experience has been pretty good. (2012 iMAC)

Absolutely Boot Camp all the way for games like Far Cry 3, but it depends on what you're playing, really.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

I am confused on what you mean. Do you mean to play the games in OS X or play them in Parallels? Can you just tell me a bit more.

11. macrumors 603

He means install Windows via Boot Camp. Then install Parallels and link it to your Boot Camp partition. Then you can run Parallels to download Steam games etc and run maintenance-y things while in OS X. And when you want to play, just reboot into Boot Camp proper.

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks.