Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hi,

The steam overlay (shift+tab) does not work on a particular game that I am running on El Capitan Beta.
The steam overlay works on the game when running previous versions of OSX and also appears to be working for other games running on El Capitan. The game in question is a board game adaption called Hive.

I'm thinking this issue may be a compatibility issues with Steam & El Cap but not sure as the overlay is working on my other games.

Is anyone else experiencing or heard of any issues relating to this? Also, who should I be sending the bug report to - Steam, Apple, Game Developer or multiple?

Thanks.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I would send the bug report to Valve/Steam for an issue related to the Steam overlay at least initially.

I recall reading that with earlier El Capitan beta releases the Steam Overlay was not working, possibly it was not at all but I don't recall for sure now. So hopefully it is something still being worked on given the beta is a moving target that needs to be tested against with each new release anyway. This is why although most are probably working on on it presently, the majority of developers are noncommittal about compatibility until the completed release version of El Capitan ships. Something could be working in one beta and be broken in the next one. Even though a change on Apple's part may trigger an issue it may still fall to the app developer to adjust for that - or not. It's really just unknown until it is done. It's an iterative process for all concerned.

In any event, while I'd lean toward suspecting the issue is with Steam it can't hurt to notify all involved parties if you don't mind taking the time to do so.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I will file a report.

I did read about the Steam Overlay being broken in previous versions of the beta, however I found it odd that it didn't work just in one game. I always assumed the overlay was independent to steam and not dependent on each steam app.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I will file a report.

I did read about the Steam Overlay being broken in previous versions of the beta, however I found it odd that it didn't work just in one game. I always assumed the overlay was independent to steam and not dependent on each steam app.

I have definitely known a number of Steam games to not run properly with the Steam overlay enabled. I know that's not quite the same thing you mentioned where it just isn't working at all for this particular game but apparently it is possible for particular games and the overlay to not play well together for some reason. Maybe you've seen this too where for some stuff you actually have to shut the overlay off for it to run right or at all.

Anyway, given this behavior is different than what I was just talking about and there is history of the overlay being flaky in earlier beta, maybe something still is with it that only rears its ugly head with certain games. Pure guessing of course but that's why those guys get the big bucks.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
i play Dota2 on El Capitan and for me steam overlay works perfect

That's good to hear. I think I read recently that whatever major issue the overlay had in general earlier had been resolved so it ought to now be working at least most of the time normally.

KAOT1C

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
MIAMI
Really annoying that I can't buy keys for all my mofo cases in CS:GO any thoughts to get the overlay to work on El Cap

bb04

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
well, it is not working for me in cs go, nor in dota2.. so yeah. annoying

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.