Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
At uni for Internet I just have a cat5 socket, to get wireless I plug in my router but have to turn dhcp off and just have it setup as a wireless access point.
Previously my iPhone and iPad haven't been able to communicate with the laptop for things like iTunes remote etc, which I assume is an ip issue.

I want to get apple tv to stream to my tv rather than use a cable, can I set up the devices so they can communicate?

Last edited:

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Your college network is probably blocking 3rd party routers..they might disable your point entirely if they discover you're using a 3rd-party device other than a computer or gaming system. Only way you might be able to do it is to setup a private network (wifi) between your computer and Apple TV.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I'm allowed my router, with up to 5 devices. But I hav to just have it as a wireless access point, if I turn dhcp on it takes me to the ISP page telling me to turn it off. I am allowed multiple devices though, I pay extra for the privilege.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.