Steelfist Re: Ibook lost sound

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by drov, Nov 15, 2006.

1. drov macrumors newbie

Nov 15, 2006
    Saw a problem a member (steelfist) had awhile back regarding loss of sound from internal speakers. I needed to know how that was resolved since I have the exact problem on wife's ibook.

Apple iBook Notebook 12.1" M9846LL/A (1.33 GHz PowerPC G4, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, 40 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive, Built-in AirPort Extreme

Problem: Internal speaker option in sound preferences GONE all of a sudden. Only headphone option exists. Headphones sound good and so does any external speaker plugged in to that jack. But internal speakers are gone.

Tried: everything except reinstalling OS X. I've messed with opening and closing Garage Band, checked Midi defaults, tried to trip jack into not thinking headphones was plugged in - did the PRAM, power reset - no mutes on or sound lever out of balance either. Want to avoid sending unit in for repair if I can do it myself.

Need to know: Would opening the unit and unplugging / plugging the sound jack or speakers (if possible) make the system "see" the internal speakers? Or should I reinstall operating system? Just afraid of losing files.

Thanks for any help

2. diadem macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2006
    if it is missinmg from the pref then it going to be a software issue/drivers, back up and reinstall.
  3. drov thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 15, 2006
    Still no sound after reinstall

Thanks for reply. I reinstalled OS X from my discs and still have no sound from internal speakers and no option in preferences other then headphones.

Is there a different, more complete reinstall? I did the one where it remembers all my settings. I didn't erase and start from total scratch. I have a feeling it's hardware. But perhaps the drivers didn't get reinstalled the way I did it.

Any other suggestions appreciated. Thanks again