Steering wheels and racing games

Discussion in 'Games' started by robegian, Mar 5, 2007.

1. robegian macrumors member

robegian

So, I've got this Logitech Formula Force EX wheel:

[​IMG]

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/IT/EN,CRID=2217,CONTENTID=11066

I tried it with the 3 racing games I own: F1 2000 Championship; Nascar 2003; Redline.

I didn't manage to have it working with F1 2000 Championship (which is my favourite racing game): did anyone succeed?

I had a partial success with Redline: steering and accelerating/braking are working; all the rest of the buttons (16 of them) are not recognised.

With Nascar 2003 I had the best results: well supported, and with terrific force feedback implementation (which is very week on Redline instead).

Any other experience with racing wheels and racing games?

2. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Unless you going to cough up for one of those chairs that you sit in and secure the wheel to it don't bother.

Just feels too weird, even when attached to the table the position is off.

3. robegian thread starter macrumors member

robegian

Well, I disagree: I'm having big fun with that small wheel :->

It's more than adequate for driving in games, even when facing pretty realistic Nascar races, and fast paced and hard-to-control multiplayer havoc within Redline.

By the way, I love to drive in real life, so I know the difference, but I enjoy the Logitech wheel nonetheless.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I have this Logitch MOMO wheel (see pic, duh).

I play Nascar 2003, F1 CS 2000, and anxiously waiting for Colin McRae Mac!!!

Nascar 2003 is really an excellent game. Gr8 FF, and a real sense of "driving on the egde", if you know what I mean. You can really feel the car starting to slide, and have enough time (if you have enough talent :D ) to get yourself out of it.
    F1 CS 2000 is good, but not as good as Nascar when it comes to reality IMHO. Yes, this whell does well regarding FF, but you can't feel the car in F1 CS 2000.

I am so waiting for Colin McRae Mac. Feral must have a hell of a job getting it to work perfectly as a UB, because they have been showcasing it for ever now!

But I love my wheel! :cool:

Attached Files:

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Momo is a great wheel, I also have one and no complaints. I would guess the problems for the formula1 wheel has more to do with the individual games and making sure you have the latest patches etc. Redline isnt what I would call a top notch program more of a amature attempt. F1 I dont know what your issue is cause it worked for me if I recall right and Nascar 2003 worked just fine. I still haven tried my wheel with Xpand ralley but it does work great with Flatout.

6. MP4-22 macrumors member

I have a Logitech Driving Force Pro for my PS2.
    I have gotten to work with Gran Turismo 4 which is my favorite game, Nascar 2005 or 2006 I forget, and NFS Underground 2.

It is easily the best wheel I've used.

Attached Files:

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I bought one of those chairs <cough> :p
    My setup now consists of a Logitech G25 wheel and a Playseats Evolution seat with the G25 Gearshift attachment.

This setup ROCKS in F1:CE for the PS3.
    [​IMG]

8. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Where did you get yours from, and how much? I've been considering picking up one of these for when Forza Motorsport 2 comes out.

9. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

www.gogamer.com. $299 for the seat and $35 for the shifter attachment. That rig is perfect for the G25, they even give you enough hardware to bolt the wheel and pedals directly to the frame.

10. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I use a Logitech DFP with my PC, never hooked it up to a console, it's pretty good, the capacitors in mine tend to wine a lot these day though :rolleyes:

Really fancy a G25, mmm, clutch :eek:

One thing about wheels, i can't stand using them on arcade style racers, only vaguely realistic sims like live for speed, GTR etc. The few arcade racers i do play i use a XBOX 1 pad :)

11. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Nice, but a bit too far away from the screen for my liking.

Need to be less than a meter for that Sega arcade feeling.

12. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Great feedback! I didn't consider that last night when I set it up. I would imagine the immersion factor would increase dramatically if I moved up closer to the television.

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

You also need a coin slot that won't recognise a coin until you've passed it through 5 times.

Gear stick with the leather missing.

Fag marks on dashboard.

Scuff marks on base.

Utterly Bold steering wheel.

All the signs of an arcade machine that's been well used over the years!

:p

14. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

15. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Yes. Much better, thanks. I'll pass on your other suggestions (above) though ;)

16. robegian thread starter macrumors member

robegian

Just an update: I succeeded to use the Logitech Formula Force EX wheel with F1 Championship 2000 even if the wheel is not recognized directly in the game. I solved the problem by activating and setting the analog controller preferences using a Saitek Cyborg 3D joystick (regularly recognized in the game): I plugged in the joystick and configured its axis and buttons, then I used that configuration with the Logitech steering wheel instead.

F1C2000 now is again my favourite racing game on Mac - and I discovered with great pleasure that the feedback force implementation is even better than in Nascar Racing 3 :)

Also, I bought (on eBay) Ford Racing 2 and Total Immersion Racing, and I have to say both are very enjoyable in spite of their age - and the the wheel is fully supported.

By the way, all the titles I mentioned in this thread play beautifully and pretty smoothly on my iMac 20" G5 2.1GHz. Consoling, because I'm not sure if Colin McRae 2005 (which I'll buy when it is published) will be playable at all on it :p

17. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

That rocks. Nice effort. If only I had the space...