Stem Cell research - Murder?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by meepm00pmeep, Oct 23, 2006.

1. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

Do you support embryonic stem cell research or do you think it is considered immoral? They have found a way to extract stem cells from adult tissue, but it is not as potent as coming from an embryo...

2. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

As conservative as I routinely find myself to be, if it works and can oneday help cure so many nasty diseases, then by most means we should pursue it. I wouldn't approve of raising embryos in farms just to harvest stem cells or anything of that sort, but if they're not viable for whatever reason, might as well use them for research.

3. meepm00pmeep thread starter macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

i wouldn't say i'd support "Farms" because that means they will manufacture embryos in labs, but research has already discovered that they can get stem cells from adult skin samples and with that i hope one day the adult stem cells can achieve the same as the embryonic stem cells... i'm not a supporter of abortion but if the embryos can be used to one day cure ailements and disease than i do support the research

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I see nothing wrong with the government refusing to sponsor embryonic stem cell research beyond the already approved lines.

If people that want it wish to raise their own money to donate to reasearch instead of paying for political ads -- let them.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm fine with it. Banning research that can find cures for a ton of diseases is more immoral than the research

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

The research isn't banned, merely the government isn't funding it. :rolleyes:

This offers a huge debate. So far, Embryonic stem cells are doing really, REALLY funky things in labs. Adult stem cells have shown to work, and for the most part, quite well. I have mixed feelings about it.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The research is in its infancy and I think it's morally reprehensible not to explore every avenue. Embryos are expensive but so far effective. If a less expensive but equally effective method is found, science will use it.

IVF creates extra embryos that are sometimes destroyed if not needed. Why aren't people up in arms about that?

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

what is immoral is to impair research which could save and improve thousands of lives because of some moronic political agenda

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

This is a big question and why people don't ask it I will never understand.

If you are against the destruction of embryos you should also be fighting to put legislation on the books to ensure that every embryo created for an IVF procedure has to be put into a fertile woman and given a chance at life...

Or maybe we should just get rid of IVF? anyone want to try that politically?

I don't think anyone is in favor of "farms" where people can sell eggs and sperm simply for research but why not take advantage of embryos from IVF that would be destroyed regardless? Can someone give a good answer why we shouldn't use these embryos?

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Killing thousands of unborn humans isn't immoral?

I believe that when I was only a zygote I was no less alive than I am today. And that's why I vote down government funding for embryonic stem cell research, adult stem cell research (which is producing many positive results) would be fine.

The big issue with embryonic stem cell research, is it gets voted down because of the issue of the 'life' status of the unborn, suddenly abortion catches flak too and may be reconsidered. So this is not an issue of research, but one of the classification of human life.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

agreed.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The US Government has put research back by about 20 years by applying faith-driven decisions to medical questions. 7 (or 12 or whatever) 'lines' of stem cells is not in any way viable for research.

I just wish that those who advocate saving all of the 'potential' human lives were as concerned about the potential of those who are already born; who are sick and are not getting treatment, who are in poverty and are not getting shelter, medical attention and food.

13. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I don't see what the issue is though, wasn't there a way found out recently to extract embryonic stem cells without hurting the zygote/fetus?

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

This all depends on when you believe life starts.

My thoughts

Life begins when you know you are alive.

So I am fine with any sort of stem cell research, i recommend it actually.

It's stupid to not use it to help since it doesn't hurt to use it and wont damage any living thing.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

~25% of all pregnancies end in miscarriages. Some of those are due to women smoking, using drugs, drinking, stress, environmental toxins, etc. Are you going to prosecute those women? When it's their lifestyle that causes the miscarriage, they should be brought up on murder charges, right?

Your status as a zygote was tenuous at best, and no guarantee that you would ever see the light of day.

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

So are you in favor of legislation requiring all embryos created for IVF be given a chance in a fertile woman, or do you support getting rid of IVF entirely?

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

By that logic, are you against menstruation too? I'm guessing you're also against masturbation. I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but there are embryos that are just going to be thrown away and fetuses that are already dead that are just going to waste. The refusal to fund the research and making the restrictions a lot stricter than they should be, beyond simply stopping the harvesting, we are letting people who are already alive die for diseases we may be able to cure. Adult stem cells are great and all, but nothing compared to what's already available that would otherwise go to waste.

I'm not saying we should start harvesting babies in some vain hope of maybe curing diseases, or that lives should be sacrificed to save others (though I do find it ironic that those who are against stem cell research seem to be pro war and death penalty), but it's something that deserves more attention than it's getting.

18. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

So you're saying a woman that just gave birth has the right to murder the baby simply because the baby "doesn't know it's alive"?

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I am all for the wholesale slaughter of unborn humans to forward the technology of scientific and medical research.

20. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Due to the nature of the communication, I'm having difficulty in telling whether this is sarcastic or not.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not.

I'm Pro-Choice and if there is a good use for embryos and the "parent(s)" agree, then use it to further science and medical research.

22. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Okay

As for what I believe...I believe if the embryos aren't going to be used for IVF or artificial insemination, and are just going to be thrown away, then yes, use them. Though I would still rather have a non-harmful way to extract the stem cells.

23. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

that depends on when you believe you know you are alive. Everyone has different opinions on when they are alive.

But can you actually have what we consider a life when you are just an infant.

Philosophically an infant may not be alive.

And since I don't believe there is a such thing called a soul then that means every person is just like any other creature. A ball of flesh. No different than the cow that you eat, or the bread that you eat.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As my friend said, after biology class one day: "You're just a bag of mostly water!" :p

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Personally I prefer the HK robot from KOTOR and his propensity in calling life-forms "meat-bags". :)