Stem Cells Help Paralyzed Woman to Walk After 19 Years

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by palusami, Nov 29, 2004.

1. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

http://www.wpherald.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20041127-121143-6745r

http://smh.com.au/news/World/Stem-c...k/2004/11/28/1101577355824.html?oneclick=true

"Seoul: A South Korean woman paralysed for 20 years is walking again after scientists say they repaired her damaged spine using stem cells derived from umbilical cord blood.

Hwang Mi-soon, 37, had been bedridden since damaging her back in an accident. Last week she walked again with the help of a walking frame at a press conference where South Korea researchers announced the results of their stem cell therapy."

Came across this on slashdot this AM. If I were bedridden and my only chance at walking again was through stem cell therapy, I'd most likely hop on a plane to South Korea as soon as possible. I realize the moral/religious implications of stem cell research/therapy, but the benefits are amazing.

2. apple2991 macrumors 6502

How can anyone be opposed to something that can so drastically improve people's lives? Georgie-boy?

And if America doesn't act soon, we are going to soon be behind in medical research, just like we are in engineers.

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

yes, but at least now America will be ahead in 'morality' :rolleyes:

its too bad that Mr. Reeves was not able to witness this in his lifetime.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

This is quite promising - my wife and I donated the umbilical cord blood from both of our children when they were born. It's good to see some progress from the research.

5. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

apple2991 and x86isslow, you'll notice that this was done with umbilical blood stem cells, not embryonic stem cells. Bush only eliminated funding for research into embryonic stem cell lines not already being studied. Stem cells are promising and those who oppose embryonic stem cell research are usually very explicit that they do not have a problem with the other forms of stem cell research, which has just been shown to be very promising.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Exactly! Oh crap, have to put something in here so it's not spam...

:eek:

uh....

mmm, ramen. ;)

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very happy for this paralyzed South Korean women. This is a great breakthrough in medical science. Stem cell research has been demonstrated to be very productive in research. There is no ethical problem with using cord blood. Using this process doesn't involve the creation of life and then killing that life for research. I hope that more parents will donate the umbilical cord.

8. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

When my third child was born, my wife and I had the cord blood sent to a storage facility. My oldest child has cerebral palsy. It is my hope that stem cell research will some day lead to the means to repair his brain injury.

9. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

i don't know too much regarding the production and maintenance of stem cells, but from what i've heard, embryonic stem cells are hugely more successful in terms of being grown in an undifferentiated state and researchers have had much more success in controlling their fates versus stem cells harvested from an adult. now im not saying we shouldnt research possible new methods that would allow similar success in adult stem cells...but consider in vitro fertilization in the u.s.:

i'm unsure of the statistics, but i would assume tens of thousands of ivf births occur annually in the u.s. and resultingly so, for every couple choosing ivf, around 10 embryos are taken from the mother, and the best is chosen. among the rest, if the couple chooses not to freeze them, they are thrown quite literally into the dumpster. now again, im not expert but from what ive heard, this could be a great source of embryonic stem cells that is overlooked. there doesnt seem to be much public outcry over the "death" of so many blastocysts in the states due to ivf versus the possiblity of using these embryos for the sake of good science. it seems to me a public knee jerk reaction that any technique labeled with the word "cloning" must be morally unsound.

this case with the korean woman, and the previous research that cured a lab rat of huntington's disease via injection of embryonic stem cells just serve to show the huge benefit this has on people and that fact that we may not researching along these lines to our full potential is unfortunate. :(

someone please correct me if my info is wrong at all.

/rant

10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

On a related note, where exactly did the hard-right moral police get the idea that any stem cell research is immoral? I can't find it in the bible. Must be in the missing manual. You know, the manual the new governor of Alabama read when he said that all abortion doctors should be killed If I were in charge I'd send a thousand scientists to the labs where all the eggs are stored that will be tossed out in the near future, give them a few space heaters and $100,000 a year each and say "Ten years. CURE it."

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I don't doubt your word, but it's news to me that Bob Riley (the Governor of Alabama) said that "all abortion doctors should be killed". I just googled for it and was unsuccessful finding such a quote either. Could you tell me where you heard or read this?

12. hansen macrumors regular

Also America has Ben Hinn. I saw him on tv curing a 5 year old from no less than 23 life threatening diseases just by putting his hand on the kids forehead, when I was visiting the states. So no need for stem cell research.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The problem that Christians have with stem cell research is the way its done. They create life in a dish, which could produce a human. Then in order to do the research they kill that life, it's essentially murder. So far stem cell research hasn't been all that sucessful.

Adult stem cells and umblical cord blood have been much more successful. They have implanted cells in the brain of a Parkinsons patient, sucessfully relieving them of their tremors. It allows them a normal life. They are also doing research to make new organs such as ears, skin, and bones.

14. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I'm not aware of any "hard-right moral police" opposing any type of stem cell research, only embryonic stem cell research. Wdlove has explained quite well why this is. Abortion of an already begun life is required for such research. That's why such things as umbilical blood stem cells are extremely popular with those wacko "hard-righties." As this story shows, despite the "advantages" of embryonic stem cells, it is the umbilical blood stem cells which have been used to help a woman walk. Science can make significant advances with non-embryonic stem cells and avoid all ethical issues important to a large number of people. This is a major plus.

15. apple2991 macrumors 6502

And why do you think they have been much more successful with blood stem cells than embryonic research? It couldn't possibly be partly attributed to the extreme underfunding and Presidential opposition to embryonic stem cells? It isn't that people have discovered that embryonic stem cells aren't valuable--there just aren't enough trials and lab testings to advance at the rate of blood or "Adult" stem cells.

P.S. Info More Info

16. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

And you know what? Blood stem cells are proving their worth. So embryonic stem cells are showing to be unnecessary. I'd say that's a good thing.

17. pajja macrumors newbie

Just one clarification. Not all Christians oppose abortion or embryonic stem cell research.

18. apple2991 macrumors 6502

It's a great thing that blood/adult stem cells are being used for so much. The more human lives (real, "I have arms and legs" human lives) that can be helped, that's wonderful. Blood stem-cells may (as already suggested in limited trials) have limitations, however, particularly in relation to certain diseases (often brain disease). Adult stem cells are finally of practical use? Great, but it's because we've been studying them for over 20 years. We at least know that embryonic can be used for a wider variety of problems on demand, if not much, much more.

Please, please, RTFA.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

IMHO a true Christian would oppose abortion or embryonic stem cell research that takes a human life. It is a very basic teaching, from the 10 commandments and Jesus. There can be disagreements on certain policies. Taking of a human life isn't something that I would want on my conscious. Although negative words against another human can also carry a price. Abortion happens to be a tough subject. The views are deeply held on either side.

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i'd like to say that i agree with wdlove so far. which leaves me little else to say... except that this is a very unproven science, and i would prefer to see scientists work with the ebryonic stem cell lines they have first. and if something comes of them and they can prove progress, then maybe make more available. maybe. but i want to see some proof first.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you gwuMACaddict. ;)

Currently research is being done in all areas. It's jsut that so far the research into adult stem cells and umbilical cells has proven to be most effective.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well, i think this is great new, i will profess that i dont know much about stem-cell research but i know about the controversy and all that

i am glad that research is being done for all types of stem cells because we might find a cure somewhere in there, if embryonic stem cells dont work, or make no progress then by all means it should be abandoned, but i would hate to see it ditched totally without knowing

23. D*I*S_Frontman macrumors 6502

Bush's compromise

For everyone here who considers President Bush an enemy of embrionic stem cell research, keep in mind two things:

1) The Bush compromise on this issue permits usage of embrionic stem cells for research using extant lines. It only prohibits new lines from being formed.

2) Bush is the first president to FEDERALLY FUND such research. He CHAMPIONS embrionic stem cell research in that sense--he just doesn't want taxpayer money (from millions of people who oppose abortion) to go towards research that requires the destruction of a fertilized egg.

I'm sure that some of the Nazi doctors could have shaved decades of research off of certain medical practices and treatments by using real people in experimental procedures, but most of us would agree that the non-voluntary endangerment/destruction of innocent human life for the sake of medical research is not something we are willing to morally justify.

Also, cord blood stem cell and adult stem cell research is far better in the long run, for once you've developed the cures you're looking for, there are no moral implications to harvesting the cells needed to implement the treatments.

The US is divided over this issue. I think Bush's compromise is an ingenius one that satisfies both parties (albeit with some grumbling). No new eggs die, and yet research continues with the blessing of federal funds.

My wife just had our second daughter. If she were to have a terminal disease that would require treatment that would necessitiate other human life dying to facilitate the process, I could not in good conscience allow her to receive it. It is appalling to think that such an offer would ever be extended to me.

24. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Benny Hinn is an absolute fraud. I am a Christian, and I can tell you that nothing that he does is in line with the Bible's teaching. Hinn uses the hype of the extreme charismatic movement to generate publicity and popularity for himself. He is not a Christian, and he should never be used as an example of Christianity.

Daniel