Stephen Colbert, AP feud over "truthiness"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, it's not really a feud:

If this were any more wry, you'd need pastrami to go with it. :p :p :p

Link

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Awesome. I totally support Colbert in his outraged disbelief. :D

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He was always funny on TDS, but he does a great job as a mock pundit. I'm waiting for someone to think he's being serious. And then I will laugh at them. Because it's funny.

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Watch his guest newscasters...they can never figure out what's coming next. Nancy Grace didn't get a word in edgewise, which is fine with me. Anderson Cooper at least joined in on the fun for the most part. It's hilarious!!! Thank god for The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, my mom even watches it!

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

you think he's not serious?:confused:

but seriously, he's able to walk the fine line between doing nonsense stuff without getting silly. there is always something serious in his jokes.

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I love his show. He tries to make himself come off like a "sick of the liberal media Bush supporter" type when in the end he just ends up mocking Bush and cronies.

He had this author on the other day who wrote a book about the Pope, and the conversation drifted over to how she was a speech writer for Bush Sr., and "why isn't Dubya a better public speaker." He made a comment about how "Dubya is my boy" but then he went on to ask her if he uses a "Speak-and-Spell" to prepare for his public addresses. Funny :D

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have to admit, when the show first came on, I wondered if the idea of a Daily Show spinoff was a mistake. Spinoffs are rarely as good as the original.

But Colbert has taken this in directions I never imagined. He is portraying the quintessential right-wing pompous @$$. There's a little bit of Limbaugh and others in his act, but you can't mistake the fact that, primarily, he's trying to out-O'Reilly Bill O'Reilly. :D

The interviews are indeed quite entertaining, especially when Colbert takes the side of some typical neocon argument and runs with it, emphasizing its absurdity, and trying to goad the guest into agreeing with him.

And "truthiness"...thank you, Stephen, for that addition to the language. I'll be using that a lot when talking politics with people. :cool:

8. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I LOVE this show. It's so hilarious, and makes The Daily Show seem rather dull (although I never watched it as much as Colbert Report).

:D

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I still like the Daily Show too, although it sometimes feels like something is missing with Steve Carell and Steven Colbert reporting.

I like Samantha Bee and Ed Helms a lot though. Anyone see the story on "Dish, TX" the other night? It was hysterical!!

10. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Anyone see the "I Have a Dreamsicle" bit the other day? I thought it was pretty funny.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I didn't think it'd work, but it was pretty funny. He can get away with a lot because it's obvious parody.