Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
hooked airport up to my stereo to play itunes through it. I plugged it into an aux channel. there was a hum on that channel but also itunes played through every other channel on the stereo, phono, aux 1, cd, tuner,tape all of them + on these channels i had no volume control on the stereo, it just played at the computer volume. I fixed the problem by unplugging my fax/printer which is also connected to airport and has my cordless phone attached.

question: is there a way i can run the printer at the same time without this problem or do i just work around it, plug, unplug

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
dino said:
hooked airport up to my stereo to play itunes through it. I plugged it into an aux channel. there was a hum on that channel but also itunes played through every other channel on the stereo, phono, aux 1, cd, tuner,tape all of them + on these channels i had no volume control on the stereo, it just played at the computer volume. I fixed the problem by unplugging my fax/printer which is also connected to airport and has my cordless phone attached.

question: is there a way i can run the printer at the same time without this problem or do i just work around it, plug, unplug
Can you not just switch the Airport channel? That might help.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Get a mains filter.

Computers are very noisy, and should not really be on the same loop or earth as audio equipment.

Ferrite beads, supressors, clamps and surge protection should fix the problem. a surge protector may be all you need, they also chuck HF noise and RFI to earth, which is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.