Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Community' started by tazo, May 21, 2003.

1. macrumors 68040

tazo

as someone has already pointed out, the guy does not know how to write a 'good' sentence. Furthermore, the guy is from San Francisco. case closed.

-tazo

2. macrumors G4

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

A wise man once said, "think about it".

4. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i've thought about it, and it doesn't make sense! could you please explain to me what's wrong with San Fransisco?

5. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

What, pray tell, does the fact that the article appeared in an SF paper have to do with anything?

6. macrumors 6502

Edit: No longer needed.

7. macrumors regular

I was going to make some remarks about the article but this back and forth on the San Francisco thing is more amusing. I was reading all these and it didn't once occur to me that he was saying the guy was gay. I usually equate San Franciscans with being very Liberal. The guy is probably just conservative.

I feel for any person who is put down for a belief or way of life. But people who just assume things like the guy is saying he is gay...i mean...c'mon. Grow up.

8. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

wow the conclusions people jump to. Now tazo is a homophobe and a sanfran basher! oh no! What I meant is that news paper is a historically liberal newspaper, with a liberal viewpoint expressed the majority of the time on various events. To deduce that by my comment I mean the guy was a homosexual and is therefore ripe for the jokes, is a lie and am offended by such a low blow. I do not want to throw this thread off, although it is your people's decision to perpetuate it.
    All I was trying to do is to make a joke out of the fact that historically, San Francisco is an extremely liberal city. I would know, I lived there for just over a year.

And for the record, I do not hate homosexuals. Nor San Francisco.

-tazo

9. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

Ok I did not see your post when i was posting my reply, maybe you did while I was posting, anywho Jadariv, you have me perfect to to the t. I consider myself generally conservative, although I feel differently then my conservative peers on some issues (such as cloning, patriot act, and some privacy laws). Anyway, I did not mean that the guy must be gay since he lived in San Francisco and I am glad that someone on this board was able to look to the comment and read it for what it was worth. Thx.

-tazo

10. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

-tazo, thanks for clearing that uo. i didn;t know it was a liberal newspaper, but i didn't jump to any conclusions.

11. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Then you should have said that from the beginning. You said "Furthermore, the guy is from San Francisco. case closed." NOT "Furthermore, the guy is from a liberal newspaper. case closed."

There's a big difference.

12. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

no problem. Btw I hope i did not say that you yourself did jump to conclusions, I was just commenting on people's comments like ***** (name put in asterisks so as to not offend anyone). Anyway I do not want to cause this thread to go off on any more of a tangent.

13. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

Ok, I am sorry. :eek: I was under the now erroneous assumption that people knew that San Francisco is a liberal city. Sorry.

-tazo

14. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i think we shoyuld stop this conversation before it gets out of hand, and then the thread being closed.

15. macrumors 6502

Sorry.

16. macrumors 6502a

kylos

EDIT: Everything already resolved. No longer needed.

17. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

I agree lets get this back on topic.

So what is everyone's opinion on this article? I disagree with it. What about you?

18. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Your only erroneous assumption is that everyone from SF is a liberal. :rolleyes:

Using that as the reason for discounting the article is about as valid as the writer's using corporate greed to blame Apple for the iTMS system.

19. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

Only if it is also erroneous to assume that people in jail have been charged with a crime.

I really do not want to get into this but ya just keep reeling me back in.

-tazo

20. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

So, then what the hell is this? http://www.sfgop.org/

Of course you don't want to get into it; you're wrong.

21. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

I will be more mature and neglect to comment on that Rower_CPU

I don't know why you posted a link to that website; I consider myself an independent conservative, not a republican-and trust me there is a difference.

And I never insinuated that the San Francisco area is entirely devoid of any non-liberal representation. I merely stated that a city with a democrat as a mayor, in a state that historically votes democrat.

Why have you taken this upon yourself Rower? Your profile says you live in San Diego.

tazo

22. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

tazo-
    I'm simply pointing out that your statement was prejudicial and based on stereotype. You cannot assume that someone is "liberal" or "conservative" based on their location in the US.

You tried to get away with pigeonholing the author and several people called you on it. Retract the statement and move on.

23. thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

Retract what statement? I already admitted my error in my original posting, and I already apologized.

People make all kinds of assumptions on a topic based on stereotypes and past biases, to believe otherwise is nonsense.

24. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

tazo-
    Perpetuating stereotypes is wrong, and purporting them to be fact is nonsense.

You never apologized.
    </offtopic discussion>
    ---------------------------

I think the iTMS will be great for Apple and the recording industry in general.

Apple is doing a great job balancing the concerns of the RIAA with getting music into consumers' hands.

25. macrumors regular

Well, it's not a stereotype because there is one liberal in San Francisco.