Steubenville, Ohio Rape Situation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, Jan 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 603

quagmire

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet( did a quick search didn't find anything).

Apparently a girl was drunk and a group of guys on the football team saw her and took her to parties in the town where they repeatedly raped her. The guys were stupid enough to post pics and videos on social media and brag about it. More people seem to have been involved than the ones already accused, but the DA can't find anymore evidence due to it being deleted.

It seems to be another Penn State situation where sports trump everything and people try to cover up and/or defend the football team's actions. People from the town are saying the girl deserved it for putting herself in that situation and are disgusted how outsiders are trying to ruin their football teams reputation, etc.

New York Times article

CNN Article

Anonymous gets involved

2. macrumors G5

leekohler

When I lived in Ohio, we referred to it as Stupidville, Ohio. We did it for a reason.

3. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Wow. After reading the stories. Pretty damn shocking. Did anybody watch the video of the boy laughing about it? Just wow.

4. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

I think they have to bring in federal investigators at this point. Can't trust local officials on this one. I'm sure alot of evidence has been shredded and deleted already.

5. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

It's still referred to as Stupidville. Being a woman from Southeastern Ohio, I wish I could say I'm surprised about the coverup. It's still a victim blaming, good old boy society.

6. thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

On another forum I go at has a person who used to coach high school sports in Ohio. He said that the football coach teaches, "male superiority". And how their football coach ridiculed the hockey conference for allowing a female player to be on the team and be on the all star team a year prior.

It sounds like a town that is stuck in the 1950's.

7. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Un-****ing-believable. Sadly, this goes on all over the US. High school football rules many a small town in the US. 1950s, indeed.

8. macrumors G5

leekohler

Just watched that video. Those guys need to be hanged by their balls.

9. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Only one problem with that. It would require those guys having any balls. Anyone who does something like this clearly is lacking those.

10. macrumors G5

leekohler

This is true.

11. prostuff1, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Then I say we cut out there tongues since they are obviously incapable of saying anything of value to society.

They are better of as mutes than saying the ******** in that video.

12. quagmire, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

And put in a jail where they will be tossed around in the shower like they tossed her around......

13. macrumors 65816

prostuff1

One of the sites hacked by Anonymous was http://www.rollredroll.com/

The blurb the site put up after they got back online is just shameful.

Frankly the site does not, did not, and should not have been "contact" by the NYT before releasing the story.

I am sorry, but asking a fan site on there opinion about this story would likely get nothing of concrete value and would have been a waste of time.

14. macrumors 6502

It is.

15. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its so sad that people put a stupid game above people. I lived right by Penn State when the Sandusky thing went down and I was disgusted at how many people thought Penn State was innocent.

Its sad to see this goes on in more than one place in the U.S.

16. macrumors G5

leekohler

I watched more of the video. Disgusting.

Where can we go to support the girl and her family?

17. macrumors 68000

mcrain

All I can say is everyone should watch that video and be outraged. You should all tell everyone you know, especially anyone you know in the area where jurors might be picked, they should check it out. :rolleyes: Feel free to widely disseminate evidence that might taint the jury.

18. thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Read that the girl probably wasn't drunk, but drugged. Apparently she broke up with a guy on the football team, vowed that she wouldn't get away with it. His friend started to flirt with her acting like he loved her. He invited her to the party and set the plan in motion.

This was all premeditated.

19. macrumors 68000

mcrain

No question about it. Everyone who might be a potential juror should know that because presumed innocent is silly in a case like this.

20. macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry- be smug all you want, but anyone who sits there laughing at what was going on is a foul human being.

21. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes, they are, and every potential juror in that area needs to know it so that the defendants are ensured a "fair" trial.

22. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This will never be tried in Steubenville. They've already brought in outside prosecutors since virtually every official in town associated with this case have ties to the football team. Regardless of the evidence, I'd bet the locals would never convict these rapists.

As for potentially polluting the jury pool, if you don't want the world to see it, you shouldn't record it.

23. macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. And then maybe you shouldn't put it online either. D'oh!

24. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yes, like the victim is being ensured a "fair" protection by the community. For ****'s sake, one of the alleged "Rape Crew" members is the son of a PROSECUTOR! If you want a "fair trial" don't record/live tweet/brag about committing the crime.

25. macrumors G5

leekohler

Hence the reason we refer to it as Stupidville.