Steve Ballmer about Apple

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Apr 30, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Opinion/Interviews
    Link: Steve Ballmer about Apple
    Description:: Steve Ballmer was interviewed by German newspaper "Die WELT" and answered questions about Apple and his thoughts about running Windows on a Mac.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. Moderator emeritus

Ballmer: No, we prefer real PCs.

Ballmer: No question, it would have been better if the iPod would have been a Microsoft invention.

:D

3. macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I seriously hope that is a (twice) translation error, but I have a feeling it isn't.

4. macrumors 65816

kugino

Ballmer: Apple didn't invent anything new. They just combined existing technologies in a smart way.

hmmm...has MS invented anything new...EVER!?

5. macrumors 68020

Willis

Steve is a nut case. he doesnt even allow his children to use google :confused:

plus the videos on the net with him jumping around like hes on drugs. who hired him?!

6. macrumors regular

I don't know that that makes him a nutcase. Would you let your kids buy a Krispy Kreme donut if you owned a Dunkin Donuts? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

7. macrumors regular

Steve Ballmer is a college buddy of Bill Gates. I seriously doubt he would even be a good McDonalds manager if he was on his own.

8. macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

True. The "I love this company" and "Developers developers developers etc." guy... But hey, Bill Gates made it in business, believe it or not.

9. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Almost. They put out an operating system for cheap personal computers for everyone.

10. macrumors regular

sheesh

Yeah, I want a phone/camera/palm/music/game player...NOT. I use my iPod for listening to music that now playing videos on a connected TV. I don't want to play games on it, I don't want to answer it when it rings, and I don't even put my contacts on it even though I can.

I think whatever they make will tank.

11. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Didn't they actually buy most of DOS from Digital Research or some other company that no longer exists?

12. macrumors regular

I actually kinda wonder what a music player would be like if the hardware and software were made by Microsoft.
    Its normally that Microsoft makes the software and then another company makes a poorly designed player to go along with it.
    Microsoft's hardware division has shown itself fairly competent (as far as they've been allowed to..in keyboards and mice), they should let them try some other things

13. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Seattle Computer.

14. macrumors 6502a

M$ bought DOS at a discount and then tweaked it a bit and then sold it. Bill Gate's isn't the best tech guy in the world, but he knows enough about computers and innovation to make good business decisions. Gate's is a business man plain and simple.

15. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not exactly. Microsoft bought Q-DOS, a 16-bit CP/M clone, which they rewrote to meet IBM's schedule for the release of the PC. The "tweak" took about a year; but without Q-DOS, Microsoft can't fulfill their promise to deliver the OS to IBM, because they would have needed to start from scratch.

The world is full of smart businesspeople, but lucky is even better.

16. macrumors 65816

All I can see when I hear ballmer's name is him sweating like a pig, walking back and forth on stage, yelling "Developers, developers, developers!" <pause> repeat x 10 until people start making noise

Though I did find it funny he said he thought it would have been better if microsoft had invented the ipod, and then went on to say it wasn't an invention...

17. macrumors 601

mjstew33

I just gotta say this-

I mean I know that most of us here do not like Microsoft, which is understandable, but I just think some people take it to an extreme. Maybe cool it down a little? ;) :cool:

18. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Why? Gates isn't half as good as most people think, and Ballmer has no demonstrated talent for anything, that I've ever seen. Both of them were phenomenally lucky to get where they are today. It might help if more people knew that.

19. macrumors 601

xsedrinam

If they chose to try one, yes, I would. Which probably goes to illustrate the antithesis of how monopolists and their fan boys tend to reason.

20. macrumors 6502a

Please, stop freaking people- this is out of context. The question was about how he feels about apple's domination of music over microsoft.

21. macrumors 6502

Right now they're lucky. Wait a few years. :)

22. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Optimist. I've already been waiting for 20 years.

No matter, if you have enough dough it doesn't much matter if you're good.

23. macrumors 6502

Will_reed

You gotta love how arrogant steve balmer is.

24. macrumors regular

Apes NEVER evolve, I guess. I love the way he is defying Darwinism all by himself ;)

25. macrumors member

here's a glimpse from ifilm of what the packaging would look like. hilarious:D
    http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2704424