Steve Ballmer: Apple's Proprietary Hardware & Software Will...

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 27, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: Microsoft
    Link: Steve Ballmer: Apple's Proprietary Hardware & Software Will Lose to Microsoft
    Description:: Apple's business model of offering proprietary software combined with proprietary hardware will lose out to Microsoft's licensing approach in the smartphone market, and keep the company from gaining any more share in the personal computing and enterprise markets, according to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

Posted on
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    This from a company who they themselves have used proprietary file formats in the past. And now their own version of XML.

Most interesting.
  3. macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Steve B < Steve J. Apparently. This is so interesting, since MS's butt is getting kicked around like a soccer ball by big companies like Nokia, Motorola, Rim (especially), and Apple as well. Wasn't there a leak about Steve B saying that MS should be more like Apple? Like better customer satisfaction and integration that Steve B wrote in a company-wide memo? And now he's saying that way doesn't work... I used my friend's Moto Q with Windows Mobile, and it was so hard to navigate, i.e. it looked so "flat". The menus were just boxes, and it was so cluttered and confusing. Ugh. No sense of where things are, very messy and not integrated. Now iPhone OS, I know where everything is, and it's integrated together very well.
  4. macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    He is only saying this to hide the fact that MS can't make good proprietary hardware. Zune anyone? Even the Windows platform is not up to scratch and people are now realising this and moving on.

Really anything this idiot says should be taken with a pinch of salt. He always ends up eating his own words. His comments about the iPhone not being popular because of the price tag is one such example.

I have never met the guy but he comes across as one of the most unprofessional people running a business I have ever seen and it is beginning to show as Microsoft are getting hammered in every department.
  5. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    The terms of this debate are screwed up. Licensing operating systems does not make either the software or the hardware any less proprietary.
  6. macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    People that buy Microsoft Windows products only do it becuase they HAVE TO - not because they WANT TO.

Why Ballmer has to stoop so low as to put down Apple for their success is beyond me...
  7. macrumors regular

sra. Aguirre

Aug 26, 2008
    I tried getting Steve's point, but it is beyond my limited knowledge. Any Windows fanboy care to enlighten me?:D

For real, what's Steve been smoking lately?!?!?! He is aiming for a mugshot just like Bill G. I guess....
  8. macrumors 65816

Oct 22, 2003
    Somewhere in the USA
    Microsoft's approach is apparently "Do as I say, not as I do."
  9. macrumors 68020

Nov 8, 2003
    New Zealand
    With a vision like that I hope Steve Ballmer runs Microsoft untill the day he dies. :D
  10. macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    That's for sure...MS is the king of proprietary. They are probably the most proprietary company on the planet, wanting to force their own stuff on everybody and everything, and doing their best to stamp out open formats. Apple is far less proprietary than MS.

11. Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    That pretty much sums it up. :D
  12. macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2008
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Last I saw, Windows is proprietary software by definition, although that's not exactly what Balmer is talking about. Also IAW all the posts so far.
  13. macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
  14. macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Where is he bringing them to? :confused:
  15. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Of course it isn't proprietary, just a "standard" that MS has pushed through after tweaking someone else's IP.
  16. macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    cheers. modified.
  17. macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    wow. ballmer, i don't listen to anything he says
  18. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Oh man, you're throwing some red meat on the floor. If you don't mind, just for today, I'll pretend to be a vegetarian. ;)
  19. macrumors 68000

Jul 25, 2008
    Wichita KS
    Wow, he is such an arrogant fool. Rich as hell and one of the biggest names in the PC world and he STILL can't get over the Mac vs PC argument. Shameful.
  20. macrumors G3

May 18, 2008
    Hartford, CT
    The only people I have seen that are happy with WinMo are those who have phone UI's that are so altered they don't eve know it is windows.
  21. macrumors 6502a

May 16, 2005
    maybe he's got an inferiority complex, resulting in his comments and those "awesome" new pc ads
  22. macrumors member

Jan 13, 2008
    New York, USA
    Stupid, just stupid. My grandparents bought a Windows computer because they HAD to? I get your argument to a point, such as for business or certain compatibility, but Windows has a massive marketshare for a reason.
  23. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    But probably not the one you think. Either way, it's fair to say that a lot of people have not considered that they had a "real" choice.
  24. macrumors 68000

Feb 26, 2008
    Ballmer dropped out of business school before he learnt that good products are more important than your business model.

Besides, I'm not sure Microsoft's model is the antithesis of proprietary.

- Windows (all closed source)
    - Internet Explorer (tried to close the internet. Still trying)
    - Office (proprietary formats)
    - Windows Server (proprietary protocols)
    - Silverlight (again, trying to close the internet)
    - .Net (trying to shut down Java)
    - Windows Mobile (proprietary sync tools)
    - Microsoft DRM (Windows only. Not compatible with other MS-DRM devices, shut down old servers and people lost their music, required devices to not support non-MS formats like Ogg)

+/- OSX (built on open source XNU kernel. Closed source layers providing GUI)
    + Safari (open source. Engine used on lots of platforms by lots of companies)
    - iPhone (strict control on App Store and NDAs for developers, proprietary sync tools)
    + OSX Server (uses open software like CalDAV and Apache webserver)
    - Macs (strict control on hardware)
    + iTunes and FairPlay (Windows AND Mac compatible, liberal DRM at time of introduction, iTunes Plus, Letter against DRM)

In total, Apple is much more supportive of open technology than Microsoft.

Oh, it should also be noted that Microsoft has been predicting the rise of Smartphones for the last 10 years, and failed. It took Apple to make that seem likely. They messed up the mobile market.
  25. macrumors member

Jan 13, 2008
    New York, USA
    Your not comparing apples to apples (and no pun intended). I have taken your list and edited it so that each component matches the appropriate one on the other list. I have also added in details that you neglected, for one reason or another, to add.

- Windows: Closed source
    +/- Internet Explorer: Slow, not very stable, but okay for average users
    +/- Office 2008: Proprietary formats, but it has the ability to export to standard formats as well (such as RTF, TXT, etc.)
    - Windows Server: Proprietary protocols
    (REMOVED) Silverlight: There is no Apple equivalent, though I find it better than Flash.
    +/- .NET - Decent 16/32 bit API, comparable to Carbon
    - Windows Mobile: Proprietary sync tools
    - Microsoft DRM: Windows only, not compatible with other devices, server shut downs could prevent licensed music from being played in the future

+/- OS X: open source components, proprietary GUI and other elements
    +/- No addons, such as toolbars and searches (unlike IE), but faster rendering engine. Perfect for average users.
    +/- iWork '08: Proprietary and standard formats, like Office 2008.
    +/- OS X Server: Same as OS X (open components, closed GUI)
    - iPhone - Strict platform control, NDA's, proprietary syncing tool (iTunes)
    +/- Cocoa and Carbon: 32 and 64 bit API's
    - iTunes and FairPlay: Has never been licensed to other companies. Requires you to have iTunes or an iPod/iPhone to play music, and does not work on any other devices. Letter against DRM has done nothing except for the introduction of iTunes Plus; the majority of the iTunes library is still DRM protected.

As you can see, your neglect for other elements and details in the equation paints Apple just as much as a Microsoft than you claimed.