Steve Ballmer 'Champion of Innovation'

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacBoobsPro, Feb 9, 2007.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6343943.stm

Just caught the end of the money programme on BBC2. Got the last 2 minutes about the launch of vista. Most of the people interviewed said they would not upgrade because of the cost of Vista. They didnt seem to even realise they would mostlikely need a new PC too.

Microsoft also want to charge for online updates in the future and Steve Ballmer thinks hes the champion of Innovation.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I watched all of it and the best bit was at the very end.

After 20 minutes or so of the Microsoft Vista marketing/advertising meetings and briefings with everybody saying "cool" and then "wow" and then promo videos with lots of "wow" and even more people saying "wow", my mother says of Vista:

"Wow is a stupid name for it."

(Now admittedly my mother isn't at all interested in technology - she knows that you "google" on the internet to find things, use eBay to sell something, and that my little 'white box thing' is an iPod - so she isn't exactly Microsoft's target audience, but she thought that Vista was called 'Wow.')

Brilliant marketing idea Microsoft.

:rolleyes:

Link to the 'Money Programme'

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

No mention of any competition, i.e. Mac OS X?

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Pfft. Ballmer. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. If he wasn't buddies with Gates in the early days, he'd be nothing special at all today. Probably selling insurance or something.

5. The Past macrumors 6502

LOL! I did not think of it because I am cued into all this, but in terms of a marketing blunder, this does make sense! Things you do not think as a marketer because of biases and excitement with our own ideas. I am sure many consumers are thinking this way.

6. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

WOW = World of (insert English naughty word)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

For some reason, I can only see Steve Ballmer as the spokesmodel for Speed Stick or Right Guard.

8. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I was seriously unimpressed by what amounted to a free full-length hype advert for Vista. The BBC should not be broadcasting this sort of magazine programme without considering the broader picture of the IT industry.

Innovation my ****.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Haha, nice. :)

10. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

I have a theory that all these Sasquatch aka "Big Foot" sightings were getting out of the Washington State/British Columbia area are likely Steve Ballmer wandering around in the woods without a shirt on....