Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
http://money.cnn.com/2003/01/12/news/aol.reut.reut/index.htm]

Case Resigns as AOL Chairman
Will remain a member of the board of directors and continue as co-chair of its strategy committee.
January 12, 2003: 6:52 PM EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - AOL Time Warner on Sunday said Steve Case will step down as chairman of the company following the shareholders' meeting in May, but remain as a director of the company with joint responsibility for corporate strategy.

Case, the architect of the troubled mega-merger of America Online and Time Warner, in a statement said his role as chairman had become a "distraction" for the world's largest media company in the face of disappointment with its post-merger performance.

The company said Case notified Chief Executive Dick Parsons and the board of directors of his decision over the weekend. Case will remain a member of AOL Time Warner's board of directors and continue as co-chair of its strategy committee.

The embattled executive said that under a new leadership team AOL Time Warner could focus on executing the company's various strategies.

"Given this progress and the fact that we're moving into more of an execution phase, this seems like an appropriate time for me to announce that I will step aside," Case said.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Like him or not, Steve Case is anything but stupid... He went from being the head of a ****ty online service that was #3 behind Prodigy and CompuServe back in the days before people had any idea what the internet was, when retrieving information via computer seemed like a novelty to the average person, to owning the largest media company in the world. (And CompuServe and Prodigy)

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
AOL's appeal is that it is (crippled) Internet for Dummies.

Woz is a geek.

Jobs is a simplicity freak, not Woz.

If woz took over AOL, it would work, and it would work well, however setup and configuration would be beyond your average Grannies and such.

If Jobs were running AOL, it would get very pretty, much more relaible, but it would still be too 'simple' as a real ISP.

Best advice, run away from AOL, stay away, and let them fade away.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
One thing most people either don't know, or don't remember, is that AOL was originally Mac-only.:eek::D :p :cool: Not that this has much relevance in this thread, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.