Steve Irwin Dead!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Felldownthewell, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Its in the "breaking news" bar on CNN, no reports yet other than it was in a "marine accident". I'll update when an article comes along.

EDIT: here is the CNN article which looks to be the same as the yahoo one...oh well, all I can say is...Crikey! Ok, so maybe that is hearltess, but I did find the guy irritating to the extreme. Although I do feel bad for his family...

EDIT 2: The CNN link has been updated. I don't like the way they selectively quoted him at the very end; for the whole quote see the post by Chundles.

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

3. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Oh wow. :eek:

That's certainly sad news - especially for his wife and children. Even though he was most famous for his TV shows, he actually did an amazing amount of environmental and conservation work.

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Unfortunately it's true. According to the news he was deep sea diving and got hit by the poisonous barb of a stingray. Kind of ironic that he defied death so many times working with his crocodiles only to meet death in some other way. You never know when it's your time to go...

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If this story is true, it's sad... but not unexpected. I always imagined there'd be a final, shorter-than-usual episode of Crocodile Hunter in which one of the crocs would finally get the better of Steve.

Whodathunk it'd be something as relatively innocuous as a stingray that would finally be the end of him?

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

8. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

This is indeed terrible news, especially for his family, they are reporting on the news and tv over here so almost certainly true.

On a more salient point i have been expecting this for a long time, you cant play with fire for this long and not get burnt.

9. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

There was one episode when he came dangerously close to being devoured by a croc. It actually snipped and got a hold of his fingers, but he didn't pull away (as most people would do) instead just let the croc bite his finger and he slowly moved towards it. Something must have happened because the croc just let go.

I've heard of people surviving crocodile attacks. Keeping a clear mind so you can poke them in the eyes is one way, especially if a croc has your tummy in their jaws.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It is indeed sad,although I couldn't stand his patter he did do some good stuff with wildlife conservation.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, it's true. I picked on him a lot but he was a decent man, a good bloke, a father of two - he died one day after Father's Day and he will be sorely missed.

Below is the story from ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

RIP Croc Hunter.

12. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

Shoot. Hasn't really hit me yet. Man, that guy didn't deserve to die.

13. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Here's the report from The Australian

He was stabbed in the chest by the barb of a sting ray whilst filming a documentary. His wife doesn't know yet as she is trekking in Cradle Mountain Tasmania.

This is a map where the event occurred:-

Attached Files:

14. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

"Crickey" what a shame! :(

and what a way to go. At least he went doing something he loves (tormenting creatures)...

and his wife doesnt know yet, because she's off treking and not contactable...

urgh

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What? Writhing in agony from a stingray spike to the heart?

I hate that phrase, nobody dies doing something they loved, it's always ugly.

Stingrays aren't regarded as killers, the poor guy copped one in the chest and that was that, it's probably pierced his heart and made him go into arrest whilst the poison did the rest of the job.

Haven't heard anything about his wife on the ABC, be awful if she really is out of reach, Cradle Mountain's not exactly the centre of civilisation.

What a tragedy, and the day after Father's Day too... so sad.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is so sad. Damn stingray!

Oh and you spelled Crocodile wrong.

17. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

oops! I'll fix that.

18. elvirav macrumors member

elvirav

This is very sad! He's got young kids, too. I hate stories such as this.

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, day after Father's Day too, very sad.

EDIT: They've contacted and informed his wife. Good to hear they managed to track her down.

20. Phazotron Guest

Very Sad.

All those times handling snakes and crocs, only to get it from a Stingray.

Very sad. He will be missed. It seemed like he had a tight knit group of friends around him though; so his wife and baby will have some support.
    Sad.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's too bad. He was a bit strange, but he was interesting, and he made animals and conservation more interesting for people who would generally not care.

I have a bad Van Damme quote that's fitting, but I won't go there. :eek:

22. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

So very sad. rest in peace Steve. Thoughts with your family that don't yet know :(

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i couldn't sleep so i went on yahoo and saw this on the front page.
    So sad. He was crazy, but in a good way. I feel bad for his family. He has such young kids. RIP steve... :(

24. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII