Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Mah daddy had me out feedin' the critters at Gatorland when I was a youngin' of 'bout seven or eight. But this is a little extreme. With Steve's reaction skills, I wouldn't ave been too worriedl.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I don't doubt his ability to be around the animals & all, but come on. There is NO need to bring a 1 month old around a crocodile. It also pisses me off that his wife supports this type of behavior.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
*phew*

I first misinterpreted the article because of the title.

I went: "What! This guy feeds babies to crocodiles!"

I was thinking that maybe he tought that being fed to a croc (after death) could be a viable alternative to ceremonial burrial or cremation for crocodile fans. Maybe I'm the insane one for having tought that. Oh well.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Stelliform
I completely agree. That is insane! I guess it is all about the money. It mentions that it was a special promotion in front of a "capacity crowd". Who would pay to see that?!?!

Lots of people, I imagine. This guy is pretty popular.

Off topic, I was in your neck of the woods all day on new years eve...shooting in cemeteries. ;)

He's got it wrong.

You don't dangle babies in front of crocodiles.

You dangle them off of balconies.

Attachments

• michael_jackson_baby_sm.jpg
    michael_jackson_baby_sm.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,201

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Steve Irwin is in show business, so it is by the absurdity that his business thrives. Sadly in our world today celebrities can put their children in harms way with no consequences.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Just lost all respect for the guy. Regardless of his skill and ability to handle dangerous animals, this should be criminal.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: He's got it wrong.

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
You don't dangle babies in front of crocodiles.

You dangle them off of balconies.

ha! This is exactly what I was going to compare it too. When will people learn that somethings are just too much for a little publicity.

Stupid people tricks meet the Darwin Awards....;)

D

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
I'm going to disagree...

Being proud of my western upbringing (Washington, Cailifornia, Utah) I made a point of dipping my babies' toes in the Pacific ocean the first time each of them was near it. Doesn't compare, I know, since it wasn't really dangerous.

But the point is, when you're proud of something, when it means a lot to you, you want to "baptize" your child in it. You want to build a sense of common ground.

If any of us took our baby in there, we would be insane. But he does this for a living, and while it may seem at times that he already has a unhealthy lack of caution, I don't think he thought of it as a particularly dangerous exercise.

That being said, that baby looks like it would be just the right size for a one-swallow snack. Gulp! ;)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I think I remember hearing SI say he was raised this way by his father, around dangerous animals from the time he was young. He credits this with his lack of fear of these animals. He also obviously has great respect for the animals he works with. The part of this that really bothers me is that he did it in public, and essentially for money. And also in what is at the very least a superficially dangerous situation. Dangerous animals are unpredictable. Ask Roy Horn.

If SI wanted to 'baptize' his kid into the world of dangerous animals he should have at least done it in private without cameras around, and without the public paying to see.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I guess I can see the baptismal or rite of passage from this, but it's still not a good idea. I'm not one to look for the worst case scenario, but what if that croc had took hold of his leg & he dropped that baby?

I dunno, maybe I'll be showing my future child how to operate a camera or computer, but I'm not going to put his/her life in potential danger.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I dunno, maybe I'll be showing my future child how to operate a camera or computer, but I'm not going to put his/her life in potential danger.

I have every confidence that you will be a great father eyelikeart.

One place that stupid human tricks are used correctly is on "The Late Show" with David Letterman. I think that he is a good celebrity father.

Sheebahawk

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2003
Long Beach California
this reminds me of a farside cartoon that went something like 'memories of my early childhood' 'A trip to the zoo' and it was a five year olds drawing of abig black alligators gaping mouth while another picture was of his father holding him over the railing.
I judged that croc hunter was crazy if this story were true, I didn't believe it myself until I read it. but then I read his response, and well, he convinced me. Nothing happened, its not like the crocodile ate the kid. To steve irwin, that crocogator is like the family dog, wouldn't you feel comfortable letting your kid play with the dog? I still think its crazy to feed crocodile while holding baby, but maybe thats just my upbringing, and instinct. if your brougfht up differently, with crocodiles for instance, your attitude regarding wild beasts would be different from mine, and not necessarily wrong either. and I really don't think incarceration is necessary, throw steve irwin in jail for feeding a crocodile? shouldn't do that unless theres a law against feeding. Id rather be held near a hungry croc by steve than held over a balcony by michael.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
This news story is continuing to build, and it's turning really negative for Steve. Right or wrong (and I defended it), I think he made a major blunder in miscalculating the public reaction.

Whoever said that if this is a bonding rite, he should have done it privately is right. On the other hand, he is a performer, now, so the public aspect might have been important to Steve. But he should have seen the backlash coming.

Gyroscope

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2002
Originally posted by Sheebahawk
this reminds me of a farside cartoon that went something like 'memories of my early childhood' 'A trip to the zoo' and it was a five year olds drawing of abig black alligators gaping mouth while another picture was of his father holding him over the railing.
I judged that croc hunter was crazy if this story were true, I didn't believe it myself until I read it. but then I read his response, and well, he convinced me. Nothing happened, its not like the crocodile ate the kid. To steve irwin, that crocogator is like the family dog, wouldn't you feel comfortable letting your kid play with the dog? I still think its crazy to feed crocodile while holding baby, but maybe thats just my upbringing, and instinct. if your brougfht up differently, with crocodiles for instance, your attitude regarding wild beasts would be different from mine, and not necessarily wrong either. and I really don't think incarceration is necessary, throw steve irwin in jail for feeding a crocodile? shouldn't do that unless theres a law against feeding. Id rather be held near a hungry croc by steve than held over a balcony by michael.

I couldn't have said that better myself.

kevin49093

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I just saw the clip on the news here in Denver.

What I didn't like (besides the whole croc thing) was the way he was bouncing his one minthe old around like that. I mean really! Does he think his son has a super developed neck or something?

db2guru

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
Egads, it sure sounds like most of you are all in favor of a bubble-boy existence for everyone.

Saying things like you would never put your child in danger is about as clueless a statement as any person can make. You would never allow your kid in an automobile? You would never allow your kid to go snow skiing, water skiing or bicycling. No roller skates or swimming for these kids. After all, accidents in these sports cost lives every year. Sob. Must protect the children.

Nothing in this life comes with zero risk, and the probability of you getting hit by lightning trying to get from your car into the shopping mall is probably higher than that of Steve having his kid harmed by the gator.

No wonder people are more afraid of a terrorist act than of getting killed in an auto accident even though statistically you are far more likely to die on the road.

And, statistically speaking, half of you probably smoke. LOL.

The scariest thought is having any of you on Steve's jury while the prosecutor waxes philosophic about how wrong it is to do *anything* that might put a child at risk. (Sniff Sniff. Reach up and touch hankie to eye.) "Please ladies and gentlemen of the jury, we must send a message to others out there who would do such a thing! We must stop this wanton disregard for children's lives or before we know it, millions of children will be dying each year in the mouths of alligators." LOL

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
well, seeing as i don't know him, and the baby is not mine, i don't care. he can throw him through rings if fire for all i care. it's just stupid to do. he's a trained (at least i hope) professional. if something happened, he'd be to blame, but nothing bad happened.

this thread's title threw me off. also, on the news sites some of the links say the same thing.

now that would be going to far:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.