Steve Job's Adventure. The Game! (Alpha Stage)

Discussion in 'Games' started by P-S-3, Aug 28, 2006.

1. P-S-3 macrumors member

Ok I am making a Mac-only Video game with Apple Head CEO, Steve Jobs, as the main character. Enemies will include anything Microsoft. This game will rock your socks when it is completed. I will not be hosting my game for everyone to play until I progress farther. Check back often for updates.

========================================================================

UPDATE 5: Heres a small update. Today I was busy, but I made this poof for when the x-bot dies. The image quality is bad because it is a gif, but you get the idea. In-game it looks pretty cool. I also got rid of the overly excessive explosion from the Shuffle bullets. It is now a very very small explosion...tiny!

Poof:
    [​IMG]

Shuffle Explosion:

From This: [​IMG] To this: [​IMG]

=======================================================================

UPDATE 4:Well, I tweaked some things and made a second video to show my progress. Please note that a lot of things are still screwed up because I really can't fiddle around with Power Game Factory when it is a demo. When I get the full version I can tweak stuff within the engine. ie: pop-up messages, icons, weapons, AI characteristics (For instance, I don't want the X-Bot to jump, and I want it to be more aggressive), Pretty much make the game a whole lot cooler looking and run more smoothly. The Level I created is based off the Windows XP "hills" theme and it is pretty bland but it is better than the default level shown in my 1st video. X-Bot isn't spitting out viruses just yet...sry. I also want the enemies to fade away after dying. I need to still impliment the Parallax scrolling technique to give the back hills more perspective. I still want to add animated scenery, interactive stuff, the works...but again, I can't do this until I get the Full product in about week. SO with what I got to work with, this is what I've made so far. Again, there are many bugs that need to be fixed. This is just to show my progress. Thanks guys!

[​IMG]

Video Beta 2: Watch Here!!! PS. there is no audio.

Oh, there will be an official website up soon...to also view my progress.:)

Tell me what you think...what needs change?

=======================================================================

UPDATE 3: Ok I ordered PGF and it should be here around Sept 4-10. Right now I've been busy with Enemies and Level Design. I made the "basic" 1st level, which is the XP "hills" theme. I still have to edit and add things, but here is a preview:

[​IMG]
    click to enlarge

I also have been working on Enemies. I created the "X-Bot" which is a robot controlled by Bill Gates that shoots viruses at you, and the "X-Tank" Which is the Xbox in tank form. It will probably shoot out the Zune as a bomb. The 360 version is more powerfull and will have different characteristics.

Virus X-Bot
    [​IMG]

X-Tank 360
    [​IMG]

X-Tank
    [​IMG]

========================================================================

UPDATE 2: Ok Wow! So many Ideas. I have to say straight up, I will not be able to add every idea in this forum into my game. I trying my best to make a fun game. I am taking all of the suggestions seriously however and a lot will be added, and you will be credited for your ideas. The Apple "Switch" Theme will definantly be part of the game. The Applecare 1 Up is a great idea that will be put in. I have to wait until Sept. 4 until i can get my hands on the full version of PGF, and use it to its potential because the developer is on vacation. Anywho, until then I am doing graphics/level design....and I need the Ideas to keep coming, because of course the game is for all of you Mac fans!

I'm not sure on the whole Logos as enemies idea, because it is kinda cheesy. I have created a Bill Gates-Remote-Controlled Virus robot that will be the basic enemy that will shoot viruses at you that can freeze you in place, unless you have the Firewall activated ;).

Bill Gates-Remote-Controlled Virus robot (In Progress):

Virus X-Bot Pic

I really need Level Design Ideas. Right now I just have the Final Stage as being inside the Microsft Industrial Plant to fight the Bill Gates Mech. So Levels Ideas...now!

Thanks Everyone for the support. I will try to get this game completed as soon as possible. There will probably be a Beta test eventually.

=================================================================================

UPDATE 1: I have been working on SJA and I tweaked some stuff. First, I need a final Steve Jobs Character. Right now I changed his shirt to black and gave him an iPod-shooting pistol (no more groin missiles...sry). The pistol shoots out shuffles rapidly, and then I have the nano as a homing missle right now, the Video iPod as a grenade. But I need to start working on The Enemys, so If you don't like how steve looks, speak up now!

New Steve:

Steve Pic

I also need help with Levels. I know that the final Level will be Inside the Microsoft Industrial Plant where you fight a Robotic Bill Gates as the Final Boss. I need to start designing the regular levels and I don't know what they should be...

==================================================================================

Here is a preview of the 15% completed 1st level:

Video:Steve Jobs Adventure Alpha

2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Why are red projectiles coming from his groinal region?

3. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

4. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I know making people takes longer, but some ideas for enemies:

Bill Gates
    Steve Ballmer
    XBOX
    XBOX 360
    Windows XP Home Box
    Windows XP Pro Box (Harder to beat?)
    Windows Vista Box
    Zune
    Creative Logo

Daniel.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Why is SJ pissing on the windows logo...couldn't he throw apples at it or something?

Bless

6. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Steve ballmer should be the big evil fire breathing boss. Gates should be the main boss that is small, geeky, and pathetic, but has a robotic exoskeleton or something. Steve Jobs should throw iPods (shuffles for regular bullets, Nanos for rapid fire, and 5G iPods for missiles.) and get mac related power ups (a Mac Book Pro could be like a land mine that burns enemies??:p ) The most rare powerup is a Mac Pro (makes him temporarily invincible?) , and the most common: Mac mini (more shuffle ammo) ... MacBook (nano ammo) and iMac (5G ammo)
    Also, would it be possible to make his jeans darker blue and shirt more black, with no backpack??
    I can not WAIT for this game to come out!!!

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

How is that Power Game Factory program? I've wanted to try it for the longest time. Is it easy/hard to use?

8. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

The projectiles look hilarious.

I think it is a fun idea =]

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

hahah that is awesome. But SJ is lookin' a bit more tan than I remember!

Also, was there supposed to be sound?

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

how can I put this as cleanly as possible.. ?
    if thats what SJ shoots out from down there....damn his wife must have loins of steel to take that blast...

11. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

AND.. make it so if you hold down a button or series of buttons before starting the game you can unlock the hidden 'WOZ' character, and play as WOZ...

I love it, when does it go on sale?

12. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

That seems awesome :D

Keep up the good work P-S-3!

13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

that would be incredibly cute! :)

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

15. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

That's very impressive! Clearly too much free time... ;)

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That's awesome, how long did it take you to code it?

Also, Bill Gates should be the final boss in a giant mech. Steve Ballmer should have some kind of armor, but once you break it down he turns into his "monkey boy" form and starts bouncing around the room :)

17. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

This reminds me of the Emo Game. I can't wait to stove Michael Dell's face in when this is finished.

18. iUserz macrumors member

pure genius!

Developers! Developers! Developers! don't forget that he has to throw chairs :D

19. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

20. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Jobs should be in jeans and a black shirt, DUH. FIX THIS.
    FAST.

21. P-S-3 thread starter macrumors member

OK.wow! I am impressed with the feedback. I am telling you right now. This WILL be a game you can play.

Now this is what I will have to fix/include:

-Steve wheres black shirt.
    -No more projectiles out of groin, instead he throws iPods.
    -Various power ups/health pickups.
    -Enemies will include Bill Gates and Ballmer as bosses.
    -I'm not sure what could be the basic enemie, instead of the windows icon. Someone could give some suggestions. Maybe just the 360,Vista,Virus idea will work.
    -Levels get complete overhaul in visuals.

Thanks for the input. Please keep the ideas coming....

22. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

23. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Hahaha, that's great ^^ Specially the Quake crash.

Oh and the SJ game looks good too :) Keep it coming.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

-Remove the shadow, 2D games like this don't need them, it appears to be floating?
    -Nice camera work with deceleration though big flaw with positioning. When you move forward the camera should look ahead. this was a major problem with early Turrican games. there shouldn't be lag when moving forward. Take a look at Mario World or Cave Story (OSX) for a solution to this. Rather than have the camera look at the main sprite, have an invisible sprite that looks forward of the player sprite and the camera looks towards that instead.
    -Bit more gravity on the "urine" heh, when the player jumps up it should alter the initial angle too. Not just for realism but for a gameplay/weapon mechanic.
    -Much needed backgrounds, and some more foreground graphics too. Just to give it a visual beef up.

Overall I think you have a nice little freeware game in the making. Doesn't look as if you're too far in, there doesn't seem to be any gameplay as yet.

25. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.