Steve Jobs advises Kerry campaign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kylos, May 1, 2004.

1. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Steve Jobs helping Kerry

link

Oh, no! I can't buy mac ever again! :)

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Same here!

ARGH NOOOOOO!!!

That has to be illegal somehow...

3. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Considering SJ personally invited Al Gore to serve on Apple's board, I can't see how this is much of a surprise.

4. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

If I'm not mistaken, Steve was also involved with Ross Perot. I believe Perot helped with funding for NeXT. Apologies if that's inaccurate. Is this really a suprise to anyone? Steve's a pretty well known democrat/independent. Especially now that Al Gore is on the board.

5. kylos thread starter macrumors 6502a

kylos

Obviously it's not a suprise, but I do think steve would do well to be less political. It's not good management to do so.

Oh and to everyone viewing this thread. It's a good idea not to get political here, either. There is a subforum for that and this ain't it. This is a mac topic as much as anything else so don't ruin it.

6. evil macrumors 6502

isnt the topic political? so therefore how could the thread stay away from politics when the topic of the thread is political?

the mere fact that jobs is supporting kerry is political and invites political comment.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i thought that was just cause big Al invented the internet. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

interesting that Buffett supports Ahnold (repub) and then attacks Bush too. Warran has always had the balls to tell it straight, without worrying about political repercussions.

9. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I donno, kinda blows my faith in Apple :( :(

Let's see that's spelled "Windooz"????

Oh wait, Gates is just as much a Dem contributor as well, what will I do???

10. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

What does his political views have to do with his management? I think its great that he is involved in politics, i only wish more Americans would pay attention and get involved. So long as he doesn't start shipping "Vote for Kerry" stickers with all new Macs I don't think this should affect how you buy in any way shape or form.

11. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Steve Jobs political views have just about nothing to do with Apple as a company. I don't understand how you can equate the two. How does this blow your faith in Apple? Its not like SJ has hidden his political views and suddenly they are out there. I also don't see any of the decisions being made at Apple reflecting those views in any way.

It worries me when people are so commited to one party or the other that anything related to their opponent must be evil. Its that kind of fanatcism that blinds people to the truth and leads to alot of the proplems in politics these days.

Oh and I hope the mods move this to the Political Forum ASAP, thats where it needs to be.

12. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Steve is an intelligent guy with class and style. I am not at all surprised that he supports Kerry.

And as a proud freedom loving and fascist-baiting member of the Democratic Party, I hope this thread is moved to the political section. Fast. :D

13. pinto32 macrumors 6502

In addition to his great advice, it would be nice if Steve could contribute some Macs to the Kerry campaign!! The DNC could be celebrating victory while the RNC is still trying to reboot thier PCs after thier Bill O'Reilly screen savers all crashed (you know...cause all the programing jobs have been outsourced overseas) :D

14. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

So what?

Chill out. He just gave the guy advice. Industry and political leaders talk to each other. No news here.

15. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Now that is funny.

16. acidrock macrumors 6502

now if he was helping BUSH then I would have a problem!

17. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Haha, I love it too. Speaking of politics, in that last shareholders meeting someone asked if Apple would be developing voting software in California. Steve said, "Hopefully they won't base it on Windows when they do make one." Haha. :D

18. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Im just saying.....if kerry or bush wins our country is doomed anyways, I think Tux (the linux logo) should run for president :D

Oh wait, tux was not born in america :(

19. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I would never be able to buy a mac ever again...

20. Gabriel macrumors member

Whatever you think of Gore's politics he is an absolutely brilliant man and something of a visionary. He can talk for hours about obscure, but fascinating topics such as how emergent systems can reshape government. Apple is lucky to have him on their board.

I haven't made up my mind about Kerry yet, but I think there's far too much animosity about politics in this country. Why can't smart people talk to each other without people going nuts about it? Jobs has some fascinating ideas about all sorts of things. I remember reading something he wrote ten years ago about reforming education and thinking it was a brilliant idea. Now many ideas that he wrote about then are being implemented all over the country in such places as my hometown of Hartford CT, a VERY troubled school system and they seem to be meeting with success. I'm glad that Kerry is reaching out to Jobs and Buffet. If Kerry is the next President than he'll have some great people as advisors. The problem is that now that Jobs has aligned himself with Kerry, Bush & Co. probably won't touch him, which is their loss, as well as the country's.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I had admired Warren Buffet, I'm sad to hear of his turn to the left. His opinion that my taxes should be increased is in no way appreciated. My wife and I have greatly benefited from the Bush Tax Cut Plan. We make well below $100,000 as a couple.

I had already head that Steve Jobs was left wing so no surprise there.

My preference would be that they live there own wealthy lives and not desire to tell me how to live my life. My only power with this situation is to pray for them. My life is tied up more with Jesus. Kerry has no power over me, unless God allows him.

22. mms macrumors 6502a

It's not that big of a deal. It's not like he's openly endorsing him and pushing for Mac users to vote for him or anything. If that were the case, it would be a cause for concern, but that's just his political allegiance. Many people choose candidates to support, and Steve Jobs is just another one of these people. This has nothing to do with him company whatsoever.

23. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Well it is good to see people getting involved in politics. I really could careless who the CEO of the maker of computer votes for. I am glad people are seeking Steve's imput. I can only see good to come out of this, regardless of weather he supports Kerry or Bush. Maybe some Macs in the Whitehouse would help Apple out.

24. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Let's see... Jesus said that we should all help the least among us, but you don't want to use YOUR money, which you so graciously received via Bush's tax plan.
    It has always amazed me to see the right blast people for not being Christians, spouting morality and taking stands that prove THEY are, then turning around and taking money from the people who don't have enough and therefore have no power, and show the morals in their private life that must be making Jesus twirl in his grave. "The Jesus Factor" on PBS last night might be a good show for you to watch, then think about WHY folks do things. It has nothing to do with Jesus, and Jesus has nothing to do with our government.