Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I second that opinion. I´m in the market for a new Mac, but don´t want to buy one today just to have a new one out next tuesday. Unfortunately that´s what I been saying myself for about two months now. The wait for new Macs is almost unbearable!

I need both a desktop and a laptop, so what ever comes out first is ok by me.

I used to look forward to every tuesday, usually one out of every 3-6 tuesdays sees something. That's turned into nevery tuesday.

all we need is to march on cupertino: the million mac march. with a banner that reads, we want a midrange tower.

oh, I go so far off topic. but then again the news that started this thread was sooo exciting.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
There are 5 main things on the :apple: home page. You can't get 3 of them from :apple: yet:

the iPhone
drm free music
:apple:tv

but you can get colored shuffles
and watch their latest ads

and p.s. the black box around the iPhone doesn't match the home page black. I'm sure someone over at :apple: has Adobe.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I was going to D this year, but didn't get my registration in.

Bummed about missing The Steve & Bill Show

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
When Apple is the last one to implement the latest processors, it doesn't exactly scream market leader.
They had Merom in the iMac in September remember ;).

HP, Compaq, and several others had the quad-core processors implemented within a week to two weeks of Intel announcing. Some took around a month. But, to date, Apple hasn't even delivered (or implied that they intend to).

And, when you consider that the Mac Pro sells for $2500 to $3000 and even higher, it's hard to shell out that kind of money for a machine that doesn't implement the latest technology.

Are the 8 core processors actually worth having yet, to me they seem very expensive for very little performance.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
True enough. But, we have been waiting for him to release updated machines since last fall. The products seem to have hit a wall. No real updates for quite a while now.
I agree on the MacPros, to a point, but for the rest the machines are quite top notch.

The MacPros are an interesting one. The dual and quad G5s are really fast, and Apple needed to make sure their replacements were faster. Hence Xeon Quad core (dual-dual) Intel systems. Faster than most people need, but a good move for Apple especially with people running programs in emulation.

As emulation becomes less important, the requirement for incredible speed reduces. Sure, some people still need the fastest there is (and Apple should be answering that market!!!), but for the rest of us the existing MacPros run things brilliantly. If the costs of the chips are coming down though, we should get some of those price cuts!! (are they?)

Remember also that people have put 2x quad cores in the Mac Pro - it works, and the system simply can not max out the cores. I hope Apple takes the time to factor that into their design so that when they ship quad cores they're as fast as possible.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Or had someone in his staff describe it to him.

Bill Gates has something like a dozen staff members to filter spam for him. That's cost effective. Paying somebody to watch a 30 second ad and spend two minutes explaining it isn't.

HP, Compaq, and several others had the quad-core processors implemented within a week to two weeks of Intel announcing. Some took around a month. But, to date, Apple hasn't even delivered (or implied that they intend to).

Part of the allure of Apple computers is the stability. Keeping down the number of models helps with that. If the Mac OS on a quad-core isn't of sufficient value, don't buy it. My guess is they'll release the quads with the crop of machines that do boot acceleration with solid state. Then they'll be faster than the HP's (HP owns Compaq). But Intel isn't releasing that technology until next month, IIRC. NAB seems like a natural for the OctoMac and Blu-Ray.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
And, when you consider that the Mac Pro sells for $2500 to $3000 and even higher, it's hard to shell out that kind of money for a machine that doesn't implement the latest technology.

It's not simply a matter of $3000 = latest technology.

I know when Apple's Quad came out, the $3k for a MacPro compared quite favourably with the Dell equivalent. Are you saying that similarly configured 8-core Dells (ie latest technology) are now available at $3000? If so I'd agree with your comment above. If not, you're way off base.

I haven't done the research because I'm not in the market for a machine presently. You imply you have... so I'm interested.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
so we got 'D' in May and WWDC in June? or was it July?

but they seems a bit close, there must me loads of new stuff on the way

I think 'D' will be Leopard, iLife and iWork (maybe iPhone)

Then WWDC will be new Mac Pro, new screens and some pro software

maybe we will see mac mini and macbook mini somewhere around then too.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN

If I would have to venture a guess, I would say the exact opposite. As WWDC is a DEVELOPERS confrence, it should be software focused. I realize that in the past, Apple has released PowerMacs, Displays, and OS releases at WWDC, but if we have to pick and choose...

I say the computers will be updated sporadically between now and WWDC, not specifically on any "technology holiday."

Leopard and the iSuites will debut at WWDC... and possibly not receive an '08 revision. If that is the case, however, expect one or both to be huge updates (iWork, I'm looking at you). A Spreadsheet app is almost guaranteed, as well as a much-needed update to Pages (or if my ultimate dreams are realized, Apple will concede that "Pages" is the competitor to "Publisher" and a true word-processor is in the works - or better yet, included in iWork '07). iWeb will receive a much-needed update. Apple will released more advanced dev. tools so that developers can more-easily use iLife-style integration in their applications.

This year's WWDC will be "all about the software."

-Clive

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska

I don't think Apple's going to announce anything at D. It's just a speaking gig. Apple won't even have a booth, I don't believe.

So, now we're waiting on Apple and not the processor manufacturer.

what yhou should have said is "now we know we're waiting on apple and not the processor manufacturer".

I think apple likes the occasional big release schedule, and always has. It means there's more hype and likability to products when they announce them (and they're in the news, etc), so people have a positive image in their mind. Then, at the end of the product lifecycle, there's a nice profit margin, because the parts have gotten cheaper, but apple hasn't updated. People still buy because the good image persists, and they can't get apple without paying for it, so they do. It's a way for apple to squeeze more money out of people that it's competitors don't/can't. Not to mention, it makes people come to places like this to figure out when to buy, which makes them major mac heads.

Dean812@msn.com

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
Jobs will totally embarass Gates. I cant wait to see this one. Its like the Devil meets Jesus 2007. Go Jesus!!!!

Lonon

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
I think they don't give a crap about the Apple/Microsoft war. Steve wants the Mac community to see his act and melt under the RDF. And Bill... well, he has so much money than i'm surprised he's even talking to people. Really, i know i wouldn't. :D

So chill out, this is just media circus.

Retired
May 16, 2006
what yhou should have said is "now we know we're waiting on apple and not the processor manufacturer".

I think apple likes the occasional big release schedule, and always has. It means there's more hype and likability to products when they announce them (and they're in the news, etc), so people have a positive image in their mind. Then, at the end of the product lifecycle, there's a nice profit margin, because the parts have gotten cheaper, but apple hasn't updated. People still buy because the good image persists, and they can't get apple without paying for it, so they do. It's a way for apple to squeeze more money out of people that it's competitors don't/can't. Not to mention, it makes people come to places like this to figure out when to buy, which makes them major mac heads.
Well...iBook sales plummeted with anticipation for the macbook, and mac mini sales (no stats, just a feeling) seem to be falling as people are waiting for C2D

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Is not like Billy has anything of value to say. Hey maybe Steve releases Leopard a few days before and Billy comes in with a photocopier to the meet.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

Quite right. That is a more accurate way of putting it.

Again, well put.

I do agree with that quite a lot.

My main reasons for not considering the Mac Pro at this point:

1) I really don't need the highest end machine. It is a bit over-kill for me. So, I'd rather have a mid-range system. But, I absolutely do not want and could not make-do with an iMac (need to open it up periodically to blow the dust out and also don't want to be replacing the monitor I have).

2) If I am going to be stuck buying the Mac Pro just to get something that is at least a mid-range without a built-in monitor, then:
  1. I don't want to pay full price for a machine which should have been updated several months ago.
  2. since I'm looking at spending almost $3000 anyway, I want more for my money than the system offers now. $3000 is a lot of money to me, and the current configuration does not equate to $3000 worth of usefulness to me.
  3. The value of the configuration is not that great when you consider that Intel released better processors a month after the machine was introduced that offered more power at the same price points as the current chips (of course, that assumes a 4-core 2.66 GHz taking the place of a 2-core 3.0 GHz). So, the price we would pay now really should provide us with dual quad-cores.
  4. They need to re-introduce the $1500 to $1600 PowerMac (naturally called MacPro now). With the dual quad cores going into the high-end, and the $1600 model using dual dual-cores (or a single quad-core).

And, of course, I don't want to pay full-price at the end of a manufacturing cycle.

If Apple kept bumping their specs on a monthly basis, they would not have these slow-downs where people like me wait for the next release. We'd just buy when we need the machine instead of waiting for the next release to get the most for our money.

But, we know a better machine is coming. We know the price will be similar. And, we don't want to waste our money buying at the end of a cycle.

I purchased my first iMac G5 for top dollar before I realized that a revision B was coming out. And, I paid about $2200 as it was configured. But, the revision B came out, and for the exact same specs, I could get it for about $1400 (they upped the standard specs significantly). I learned right then that if you are going to pay top dollar, don't buy an Apple that hasn't just been updated the day before you purchase. Otherwise, you'll find you spent too much for too little value when they update tomorrow.

If they were constantly updating the systems with better processors as they came available, then they wouldn't suffer these constant buying freezes that are common once a machine has been out for 4 to 5 months. Customers would just buy the machine that is available then instead of holding-out and waiting.

It's not like they'd have to redesign the machine constantly. Just bump the CPU specs as they come available.

This would give them a steady revenue instead of a month or two of heavy buying and then 4 months of increasingly slower buying, and then 2 months of heavy buying, and 4 months of slower buying, etc.

I guess that's just the way I see it. It makes sense to me.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Bill Gates has something like a dozen staff members to filter spam for him. That's cost effective. Paying somebody to watch a 30 second ad and spend two minutes explaining it isn't.

Part of the allure of Apple computers is the stability. Keeping down the number of models helps with that. If the Mac OS on a quad-core isn't of sufficient value, don't buy it. My guess is they'll release the quads with the crop of machines that do boot acceleration with solid state. Then they'll be faster than the HP's (HP owns Compaq). But Intel isn't releasing that technology until next month, IIRC. NAB seems like a natural for the OctoMac and Blu-Ray.

Sounds like Bill needs to buy a Mac and get a life. The fact that he has never seen one of the commercials means he is out of touch, in his own Vista world.

IMHO Bill has nothing interesting to say.

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
Sounds like Bill needs to buy a Mac and get a life. The fact that he has never seen one of the commercials means he is out of touch, in his own Vista world.

IMHO Bill has nothing interesting to say.

Whoa. I wouldn't have seen these commercials if it wasn't for the internet. I don't have TV—if I had one, I'd spend time watching it instead of getting work done. And I'm fairly certain most busybusy people don't watch TV either.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Whoa. I wouldn't have seen these commercials if it wasn't for the internet. I don't have TV—if I had one, I'd spend time watching it instead of getting work done. And I'm fairly certain most busybusy people don't watch TV either.

Life is about balance, I have a TV and mainly watch it for the news and a movie once in a while. I use my Mac a heck of a lot more than the TV.

He needs balance and contact with the rest of the world. Maybe he will then realize how well Vista is being received.

Hey Steve, sweep the floor with the man, but have him remove his glasses, it may scratch the floor.

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
Life is about balance, I have a TV and mainly watch it for the news and a movie once in a while. I use my Mac a heck of a lot more than the TV.

He needs balance and contact with the rest of the world. Maybe he will then realize how well Vista is being received.

Hey Steve, sweep the floor with the man, but have him remove his glasses, it may scratch the floor.

Balance for Bill Gates very well may include watching TV, but balance for me doesn't. I'll read books or go swimming, but once I start watching TV, it gains control over me. I'll start out watching something good like BBC's Extras, and next thing I notice, five hours have flown by and I'm laying on the sofa watching What Not To Wear and, coincidentally, not wearing anything. I've gone two years now without TV, and I feel much better.

I'm not arguing against TV, I'm just saying that people who have very hectic, high-demand schedules are usually better off not watching it, and I'm sure Bill Gates doesn't watch it that often.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
This will either be very fun or very dull, depending on how bold Gates and Jobs are feeling (and Gates has been mighty bold lately)...

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Balance for Bill Gates very well may include watching TV, but balance for me doesn't. I'll read books or go swimming, but once I start watching TV, it gains control over me. I'll start out watching something good like BBC's Extras, and next thing I notice, five hours have flown by and I'm laying on the sofa watching What Not To Wear and, coincidentally, not wearing anything.

LOL, sounds like you find TV more interesting than all the other stuff you just mentioned.

But seriusly, Billy needs to stop and get in contact with the user base and their needs, then dream how to really make their life better, not how to dominate them.

Steve is a dreamer but he knows what make people tick and what they really want. He knows how to move the masses and he has a personality that makes people want to hear what is in his mind.

I agree 100% with the comparizon of Mr. Burns to Mr. Gates. Both are patetic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.