Steve Jobs....Ass or God

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, Feb 11, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I was watching something on discovery channel yesterday about the new iMac and they did an interview with steve and the designers of the imac.

But during designing the new imac steve made his fellow workers stay up for 76 hours straight to get the new imac finished and 68 hours to finish the cube

I would let them get rest because you get your best work out when your awake and fresh

What an ass

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

3. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Re: Steve Jobs....Ass or God

Well, duh! Attaching that rectangle to the stick thing on the lump was a little more complicated than the cube....no wonder it took an extra 8 hours.

now GET BACK TO WORK!!:p

4. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

rarely if ever have i done my best work when fully awake...
    after staying up for at least a day and just working on a creative project almost the entire time, you start to make things better...but if you sleep you have to start all over...so maybe he's just one to something ;)

5. insidesource macrumors member

Workers P.O.V

How do you know that the workers stayed up against will, if I was offered to work on the coolest computer I have everseen I would do that.

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

wither or not he is an ass or not is completly relative and subjective....

and of course he is not God...so that is eliminated by simple understanding of the concept of "absolutism".

i agree with insidesource....maybe it was thier will to stay up..... and HELL i would too to stay up as long as I can..... provided I drink a hell of a lot of coffee... pop some ephedra every now and then.... just to stay up 76 hours to work on one of the most revolutionary computers of this era.

i would never complain about what im going through to create something revolutionary.

"artists are dedicated to thier work like the bee who gives its life to the sting it gives"
    ralph waldo emerson

7. CHess macrumors regular

Everything I've read about Steve Jobs, and what I've heard from one friend who went to work for Apple many years ago, seem to agree that he can be a very difficult person to work for. He seems very blunt and if he doesn't like something, even if it is something you worked overtime on and put all your energy into it, he'll tell you it's a worthless piece of crap and leave it at that. He also seems to be able to really motivate people as well, especially us Mac followers.

I certainly wouldn't class him as a god, and I expect that he's a lot closer to the former. Still, I'm really glad he's at the helm at Apple.

8. graydecember macrumors member

screw jobs

he thinks his perfectionism and messianic complex justified merely because he is capable of conceiving of stylish consumer electronics- he is preoccupied with (his idea of) perfection, and *style*. I will say this: it will get him far- but it won't make him a good man.

I contemplate perfection; Jobs isn't the only one. I think there are a lot of us here who believe beauty, purity, *love*, fascination, are the among the strongest forces in our lives- when I look at a TiBook, or a Krell stereo, or a Hasselblad, or a Pedulla, I feel sincere love, just like I'm sure Alphatech (?) does for harleys.
    But I wish I didn't- I make myself sick when I realize perhaps none of this stuff is very important (well, with a harley you ca at least get out into the world). There isn't too much more to say about any of this~ what's the point?

anyway, jobs is just another billionaire who thinks he's superior to everyone else because he has a "vision", or whatever. The way I've heard he treats people is INDEFENSIBLE. It's unfortunate, in a way, that Apple and Pixar are actually so great, because I'm sure he must think it's because of something HE DID. It is, of course. He does have a vision, and he *feels* vehemently about what he does that it is important, and people are attracted to that; it make them feel like they have a purpose.

This is of course a rant. I'm just jealous of people who do wht they want instead of being shrouded in a dead mundane existence like my own...:rolleyes:

...view my paintings on my sucky website....

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Jobs is neither.

Calling him an ass isn't very mature. It's not like he was standing over the iMac team with a whip... at least... I don't THINK so... um... :eek:

The only god around here is arn... unless you believe in polytheism, I guess... :rolleyes:

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Jobs

Jobs is not a Billionare, he is paid $1 a year. You must be confused with Bill Gates the root of all evil.

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

How about a compromise...

"Steve Jobs... Godlike Ass"

Oh wait. That didn't quite come out right, did it?

As someone who has worked in the whole Silly Valley scene for a while, I can tell you for sure that the only people working gigs where they have to pull 76 hour marathons are the ones who want to, and there are plenty of those. People who want to put in fairly normal days, go home, play with their pets, lose entire evenings playing Final Fantasy X (ahem) take jobs where they can do that.

The thing about Steve is that if he's asking people to stay up for days at a time, you can be pretty sure he's doing it too. And I can't imagine anyone taking a job like that without knowing what they're getting into.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I would tend to believe that they left out the small comment about them working in shifts for the 76 hours. They might not have gone home, but I would venture to think that they got some sleep, food, and answered the call of nature in that time. Otherwise, I can see law suits on the horizon.

13. Jookbox macrumors 6502

let's just say it's IMPOSSIBLE to run a company like apple without being an ass. same goes for any decent business, that's just life.

14. grrr223 macrumors regular

I agree with the people who have said that the people who are at the office for 76 hours are people that want to be there. They can go home if they want. I highly doubt that this comes as a complete shock to any of them. Deadlines are deadlines. They work in a highly competitive industry. I'm looking for a job right now, and I know full well that if I'm about to leave on a Friday night after my 12 hour day at an i-banking firm, and the CEO of such and such a company needs the estimates of a start-up's valuation that he wants to buy so he can present it to his board on Monday morning, i'll be their all weekend. That's what i want to do, that's probably what these guys want to do. I'd be willing to be that they are well compensated for it as well.

If you want to work an 8 hour day and go home, that's perfectly fine, I will probably value that stability one day too. But Steve Jobs is not an "ass" because he demands a lot from his top-notch employees. What's the big deal about staying up for 76 hours in a row anyway? I go to MIT. Back when I was majoring in computer science, that was not unheard of. Now I'm a management major though and my life is much happier :)!

Hard work never killed anyone, get over it.

15. OSeXy! macrumors regular

Anyway, his slaves are OUR slaves...

WORK WORK WORK!

16. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Steve knows how to get things done. Yes, he may step on a few toes now and then but that's life. Look at the bigger picture. Toes get stepped on. I've had bosses who were asses about getting the job done. After that, it's all cool. I've had bosses who had no business at all being in charge. They were nice folks but people walked all over them. It reminds me of my time in the service. I hated some of my NCOs because they demanded nothing less than absolute 100 percent effort. But you know what? Given a choice I would've followed them through the gates of hell with gasoline soaked drawers on because I knew I'd have a better chance of making back alive because of them.

17. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Steve is not an ass, nor a God.

He is a fantasticly cleaver business man. He may work his people hard, but what company doesn't? I had to work for 34 hours straight about 2 weekends ago when works e-mail server went down (damn Exchange server)

Ensign

18. rekras macrumors regular

what was the show on discovery about the imac? i wanna see it.

btw- steve pushing employees to extremes is nothing new.

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

exactly rekras.

;)

*krossfyter peers across the room and stares at his kitty cat and says "You and I are like these two guys, who's big brother is Xerox...who leave the door wide open. You go in there and steal a T.V. set, only when you get there you realize that I was there first....I GOT THE LOOT STEVE!!!!*

20. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

21. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

22. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

If you had 200000+ people waiting to see the new iMac and it wasn't ready on time do you not think you would do the same?

Ensign

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

very good point ensign!

*krossfyter peers across the room and stares at his kitty cat and says "You and I are like these two guys, who's big brother is Xerox...who leave the door wide open. You go in there and steal a T.V. set, only when you get there you realize that I was there first....I GOT THE LOOT STEVE!!!!*

24. erova macrumors member

i would like to clarify the status of those people who were instructed to stay late and without sleep.

under the geneva convention, these people were not employees, but rather detainees, and therefore not subject to the protections afforded in the employer-employee relationship.