Steve Jobs denies iP4 reception issues!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rfbandit, Jun 26, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Earlier today I tried calling in to Apple Care to see if I could get a bumper case to help with my reception issues. Nobody I spoke with could help me out. So I decided to send the boss man an email, kiss ass a little bit and see what the result would be. He emailed me back in literally 2 minutes! Here's the email:
    [​IMG]

2. macrumors 65816

treyjustice

hmm "stay tuned." I wonder what this means.....

3. macrumors member

Zinger314

So that *wasn't* sent from his iPhone?

4. macrumors 65816

Do you have the raw message headers?
    Would be significant to prove its really from Steve.

5. macrumors 6502a

what a douche insulting your intelligence like that! :rolleyes:

6. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I was surprised by that as well. It looks like he sent it from a computer, the disclaimer on the bottom is not in my signature, so I'm assuming it's in his. EDIT: This message is automatically added to all emails sent through my company's exchange server, it is not my signature on my iPhone, so I assumed it came from him. I can't find a way to view headers in my webmail exchange server access. Once I find a way, I'll copy/paste the headers.

7. macrumors newbie

Must mean an ios update. Good news!!

8. macrumors 65816

It would be very significant if steve really said those words. He usually doesn't lie, but you have to parse his words carefully.

That makes it sound like the problems people are seeing maybe due to something else and there is a fix on the way.

Can only hope, but its very very promising. 'Stay tuned' is huge.
    'There is no reception issue' is either him being supremely arrogant, or inside knowledge that the phone isn't really broken but a software fix maybe coming.

Hmmm.

9. macrumors 6502a

Who needs customer service, just email the Steve Jobs, lol.

10. macrumors 6502a

Sounds like there being no reception issue and to stay tuned means it is already fixed and the update is on the way? It doesn't seem like he is trying to be a jerk unlike some of the other emails I've read lately. This one just seems like he is trying to give out a little info?

11. thread starter macrumors member

If anyone knows how to view headers in microsoft exchange webmail access, let me know and I'll gladly post raw headers. I sent it from my work email to try and get him to respond (I work for a network affiliate), I don't have exchange set up on my new computer yet, so I have access to my email through webmail and my iPhone. Any ideas?

12. macrumors 65816

ARF900

Proof?

I find it hard to believe that he would still think their is no reception issue, I have never seen a phone that loses bars when picked up.

13. macrumors 6502a

Steve is right.

"There is no reception issue" means "There is no (hardware) reception issue".
    "Stay tuned" means "We will fix (software) reception issues".

iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.0 has the same issue. :cool:

14. macrumors member

ryuuzaki

Did you send your initial email from your iphone or from your PC?

15. thread starter macrumors member

Initial email was sent from my iPhone.

16. macrumors member

ryuuzaki

that makes a lot of sense....

17. macrumors regular

Explain to me how touching the antenna has anything to do with software?

18. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Ok, yep. I was able to login to verify this to some degree. Email exists. So seems real. (no way to view headers though.)

arn

19. macrumors regular

And if there really believed that there wasn't a reception issue why would they not issue a statement before now and avoid all this bad press?

20. macrumors G3

Geckotek

Double click on the e-mail to open it. Click on "Message Details" (looks like an envelope w/ a piece of paper in front). Probably have to take screen caps....copied text could be faked more easily.

It doesn't. All the software will do it change how it interprets the data and displays it on the screen.

21. thread starter macrumors member

Tried that, no option to do it. Arn is logged into my email and verifying as we speak.

22. macrumors 6502

jb007clone

"Stayed tuned" probably refers to a software fix. I'm skeptical, but if it solves the bar dropping and the cessation of data transmission by touching the antenna then IMO, this issue will be officially closed.

23. macrumors 603

marksman

This is awesome.

I believe apple is going to offer a service where they chop off 1, 2 or 3 fingers of people who can't hold the phone without problems and stream it on a multicast version of Facetime.

This is going to be epic!

This little piggy...

24. macrumors 6502a

Here is my hypothetical:

I'm guessing they looked into the reception issue, told their customer service to tell people to expect a press release yesterday, but then found out late in the day that it was not any of the hypothetical reception problems detailed in the many threads here and by experts elsewhere. Then today, found out there was *another issue* that was not reception related but caused the current reception symptoms as a side effect. Fix that, and the reception problems go away automagically.

25. macrumors regular

WOOHOO!!! So we now have official word from Steve Jobs that the issue is 99.9% software and will be fixed with the new iOS4 update which may be out Monday?

Great news!