Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ibooks_icon.jpg
Thus far in the ongoing e-book price fixing case, Apple has maintained that it was indifferent to what business model book publishers adopted with Amazon. However, an email from Steve Jobs to Eddy Cue submitted today by the U.S. Department of Justice appeared to undermine Apple's argument, according to Fortune:
"I can live with this as long as they move Amazon to the agent model too for new releases for the first year. If not, I'm not sure we can be competitive ..."
Apple's chief counsel quickly noted that the email was never sent, and AllThingsD now reports that Jobs later sent a longer, more detailed email with his complete thoughts on the negotiations with book publishers.
"I can live with this, as long as they also agree to the other thing you told me you can get: The retail price they will set for any book will be the LOWER of the applicable "iTunes" price below OR the lowest wholesale price they offer the book at to anyone else, with our wholesale price being 70% of such price. For example, normally our retail price for a $26 book will be $12.99 and we will pay 70% of that, or $9.10. However, if they offer the same book to Amazon for a wholesale price of, say $12.50, then our retail price for the same book shall be set at $12.50 and we will pay 70% of that price for the book."
The emails provide some insight into Jobs' thought process during the negotiations. The draft and final versions of the email show that Jobs initially appeared to have strong feelings on how Amazon's pricing would have to be affected, but then according to the emails' timestamps he reconsidered his position within two hours to offer a different angle and concern about the negotiations.

The testimony portion of the case is now in the second week, with Cue set to take the stand tomorrow.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Email in E-Book Case Provides Insight Into Thinking Process

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Too bad they didn't get more serious about this. iBooks (not the laptop) are too much of a pain to use.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
Something doesn't look right in this. Unless what is be shown by allthingsD isn't what's actually shown in court or the pictures got mixed up in posting. But from their article it doesn't look like it as they elaborate on the content.

the DOJ email has a received time stamp 1/14/2010 @ 18:23:09

Apple claims what the DOJ submitted it was a "draft" entering into evidence the "final" email.

Apple's email has a received time stamp of 1/14/2010 @ 18:21:39

Why would an email that's a "draft" have a received time stamp?

Also the time stamp of the "draft" occurs about 2 minutes AFTER than the "final". Shouldn't the "draft" have an earlier time stamp? Apple's contention is that Steve later sent a more complete email.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Spoiler alert: the case closes with a sum of money being paid. Not much will change

Unfortunately, this is the most likely outcome.

Apple really screwed the ebook market for consumers, as well as for small retailers, many of whom went out of business.

Even if Apple disgorges all of their ebook profits, they'll still be ahead, as they used ebooks to sell hardware.

The bankrupt small retailers and consumers will get cold comfort.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010

Apple really screwed the ebook market for consumers, as well as for small retailers, many of whom went out of business.

Even if Apple disgorges all of their ebook profits, they'll still be ahead, as they used ebooks to sell hardware.

:confused:

The DoJ says that Apple caused an increase in the price a consumer pays and your assertion is that this forced out the smaller vendors? It didn't have anything to do with Amazon undercutting the industry rates? Oh Kay

mrxak

macrumors 68000

Laughable assertion. Amazon drove the small retailers out of business, not Apple. Apple just entered the market for the first time having a model that could compete with Amazon's juggernaut.

Before Apple entered the market, there is no competition. After Apple entered the market, there is competition. For some reason the DoJ has a problem with this???

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Laughable assertion. Amazon drove the small retailers out of business, not Apple. Apple just entered the market for the first time having a model that could compete with Amazon's juggernaut.

Before Apple entered the market, there is no competition. After Apple entered the market, there is competition. For some reason the DoJ has a problem with this???

what is the basis for your assertion that before apple entered there was no competition and after the agency model was enforced there was competition?

btw i dont know you can read the emails and exchanges listed and think of the word competition

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

You really don't understand what this case is about, do you? If you do - maybe you can explain why, if true, the DOJ should not have a problem with collusion?

Then you could tell me why the major publishers all immediately settled out of court.

Things like that...

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
I find it interesting that both the draft and final email are available. Usually when I write an email, it gets saved as a draft as I write it, but then it becomes the final email as soon as I send it. Never have I created a draft and then created a new email based on the draft, sent it and then also held on to the draft.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I find it interesting that both the draft and final email are available. Usually when I write an email, it gets saved as a draft as I write it, but then it becomes the final email as soon as I send it. Never have I created a draft and then created a new email based on the draft, sent it and then also held on to the draft.

New feature in iO7 ? ;)

mcfmullen

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012

Not admissible in court. Yes, the gov't spies on you. No, it isn't legal. Evidence gathered isn't admissible in court. They'd still need a warrant to gather the same evidence legally first then use it against you. Keep your conspiracy theories out of here.

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009

Might the draft have been on a server?

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Not admissible in court. Yes, the gov't spies on you. No, it isn't legal. Evidence gathered isn't admissible in court. They'd still need a warrant to gather the same evidence legally first then use it against you. Keep your conspiracy theories out of here.

wtf. It was a joke, but ok. What 'conspiracy theories', PRISM is a reality. Keep your orders of what to do out of there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.