Steve Jobs introducing the iPod in 2001 (Video)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by AJ Muni, Jun 24, 2006.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Link ..Man he sounds like a prophet. How did he know all of this??!!?!?!! I gotta go visit his psychic..:D

P.S. Look how small the crowd is.. Reminds me of class in community college..

2. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Nice find, I've been look for something like this. I've seen other keynotes in that room though, I think it's one on Apple's campus that they use for smaller products. I guess they didn't think the iPod would be that successful either.;)

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

that video is glorious. Does anyone else think it's kind of weird though that big stevie called it "iPod" like a person and not a thing? He would say "how do you load songs onto iPod" not "an iPod." He did that numerous times. I don't know that just struck me as funny. He didn't talk about syncing with iTunes either but that was just a clip i guess ;)

4. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The day (release) that changed everything. :)

6. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

Great post! Wow... nobody had a clue how big it would become.

7. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

It's one of Apple's quirks. They seem to do that every time they introduce a new product. The original ads for the introduction of the mac kept referring to it as a pronoun as well: link

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

The iPod came out at the perfect time for me. I was just starting college and discovering new ways of obtaining music (i.e., downloading) and organizing them with iTunes. Since I had an iMac at the time, I wanted a way to bring all my new music with me when I went home or to class. I was looking at the other mp3 players and nothing had all the features I wanted. Then the iPod came out and was exactly what I wanted. It also allowed me to use it as a hard-drive for transferring files to my dad.

I ordered one in early december of that year (an early christmas present) and everyone one of my friends thought I was crazy for spending $400 dollars on a music player. Most actually weren't impressed by it because it was made by Apple, but I knew it was great. I think I was probably one of a handful on campus that had the now famous white Headphones, not that anyone cared about them or knew what they were connected to. I bet I could have left it on a desk and gone to the bathroom and no one would have taken it because they didn't know what it was.

I wish Apple would come out with an Apple only product again, like the iPod was originally, I liked knowing only a select group of people would understand and appreciate the product.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The chart, has 300 for a hard drive based music player, that holds 1000 songs, yet the iPod hold 1000 songs(or Mp3 when it was released) and it was much more

Guess that shows people pay for things to work right

10. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

What a terrible font they used in the presentations. Looking back to that reminds me of how far we have come. I remember when I picked up my 2G iPod and thought I was so far ahead of everyone else. Now everyone and their mom has iPod.

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Something is very eerie about that commercial. I don't know if it is the music, the man's voice or the combination, but it gives me the chills at 1:17 AM.

12. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs is a god.

13. Roads0 macrumors newbie

Roads0

And I will be the first to drink the koolaid...

I don't know if yall know about this but here is a good website for Apple commercials. http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/movies.html

14. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Steve was saying he thinks that with the iPod, Apple can become not just the "recipie" for portable music players, but the standard. He must be absolutely stoked at its success now.
    Also note that the iPod 1st Gen 5GB held 1000 songs at 160kbps, and now the Nano 4GB holds 1000 songs at 128kbps.

watching this video kinda makes me wanna buy a 1st gen iPod... lol (see sig for the one i own and love)

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here, pour me some delicious Mac Koolaid! :D

Yes, that is a great website for Apple commercials (I have most of them). :)

16. Roads0 macrumors newbie

Roads0

17. luckylisp macrumors 6502