Steve Jobs is one arrogant sob!

Discussion in 'Event Archives' started by jamdr, Jan 11, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Wow, I just watched the keynote and my god this guy is hard to stand. I've watched previous keynotes and he never seemed this bad. The charisma he's displayed in the past has been replaced with smugness. He acted like the iPhone was the second coming of christ and we were so lucky that he existed to bring it upon us.

When really, this is probably the single worst keynote for Mac users that he has ever given. No hardware updates. No 10.5 preview. Not even iLife and iWork '07! Plus, very people I know are going to be interested in spending $600 + $60 a month or more to use this phone while plenty of us would love to spend $300 or $400 or even more on a full-screen video iPod. God, I wish this keynote was all some nightmare and in the real one Apple actually gave us something we wanted.

2. macrumors 68000

nospleen

I like how you speak for the masses, "something WE wanted". I for one was thrilled with the keynote and I am going to buy the iPhone. Just because you were not happy with the keynote, it does not mean the Keynote was horrible. I would have liked some updates on ilife and leopard too, but they will come soon enough.

3. macrumors 68000

On one hand, I see what you're saying, and I agree that Steve might have been a little smug. But in a sense I think he earned that smugness. He and all the Apple employees who finally finished the iPhone project.

This was a great keynote, and really shows that Apple is branching out, trying to reach users in new ways. It is obvious to me that both the iPhone and the Apple TV are both geared to lure people from the Windows camp over to Mac OS X. Sure, both work with a PC, but only to a point. The iPhone and the Apple TV will work more seamlessly and smoothly with a Mac in the mix. It is for these reasons that I think this keynote was one of the most important in the last five years.

Also, realize that Apple can always very easily announce iLife or iWork 07 anytime they want, as well as hold a special event for a new widescreen iPod or whatever. I think it is very likely that we will see a iLife and iWork update very soon, before January is up. Apple doesn't want to keep a year old product on their store's front page for too long after the new year begins.

4. macrumors 603

SkyBell

^^ That's true. There doesn't have to be a set time when Apple releases things. Leopard could be out tomorrow. You never know.

5. Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

EricNau

Steve Jobs has earned the right to be smug, you however, have not.

6. Moderator emeritus

Steve Jobs has always been a bit smug. In fact, his emotions are rarely reserved but then, that goes for almost anyone running a technology company.

Have you seen Scott McNealy, Bruce Chizen, Larry Ellison, or Bill Gates? Introverts rarely run companies.

7. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i dont think he was arrogant. I think he was genuinely excited about this product, not because it earns the company (and ultimately himself) money, but because it is such a big leap in technology.

And at the start of the keynote, he did say that Mac hardware and software will be announced in a couple of weeks time. Just wait a little while, and i'm sure you'll hear people complaining that the new C2Q MPs dont have their name engraved on the side of the machines:p

8. macrumors P6

twoodcc

ha, that was pretty good. and true really...

they didn't release iwork and ilife probably b/c of Amazon putting it up on their website early

9. Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

EricNau

Actually, I believe it wasn't released at MacWorld for two reasons...

1) Time. They keynote ran about 2 hours as is (already above the average). Introducing two new software suites would easily add another 45 minutes (making the event much too long).

2) The focus was clearly the iPhone, and Jobs didn't want anything to steal its glory.

It makes much more sense to introduce the iPhone at MacWorld and have a separate event for Leopard, iLife, and iWork.

10. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

Look, I feel as if with all the rumors that were flying around about the iPhone, WE pressured him to release the iPhone by Macworld. He did what we wanted. But it was such a large project that he had to forgo releasing other products that we wanted as well. We expected too much of him, and for you to act like that he is an ****** for releasing something as revolutionary as the iPhone is just plain indecent. </$0.02>

11. macrumors 68030

I thought Steve Jobs did an EXCELLENT job at the keynote this week. It was probably his best one in a while. Maybe you just fail to recognize the good side of things?

12. macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Don't take CEO's public persona's (or any public figure for that matter) too seriously. It's all about marketing and keeping Wall Street happy.

13. macrumors 6502

i totally agree with you. "aint that just cool?" "probably the best photo management program in the world".

he's was pretty hard to stand.

14. macrumors 603

SkyBell

Those are not smug, those are facts!

In case you can't tell, I'm serious.

15. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

But you watched. Again.

Q.E.D.

16. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

seriously, that has to be the most measured, reasonable post i've read about this topic.

17. macrumors 6502

"aint that just cool? cute white text tricks?"

Use the apple dictionary and look up the word fact.:confused:

18. macrumors 68040

iW00t

That guy was an orphan who made himself into a billionaire with no help from anyone. Until you can do the same he has every reason to be smug.

Even Bill Gates, for what it is worth, grew up in a nice sheltered family with rich parents.

19. Moderator emeritus

Not smug at all. Thought he comes across as reasonably down-to-earth... Just someone confident in their ability to do a good job and with an awareness of themselves and their qualities. Success does that to people.

20. macrumors Core

MacNut

You could make the argument that all of Silicon Valley is smug.

21. macrumors 68000

bearbo

who are you kidding? what part of iphone is not previously existed in technology? yay it has a nice UI, like all other apple products, but the hardware?

remind me, again, what's revolutionary about iPhone?

22. macrumors Core

MacNut

And only 200 new patents.

23. macrumors 68000

Arrogant? Are you blind? He looked proud, almost as though the iPhone was his child or something. He was proud that they came up with a beautiful phone, with amazing features. Photo management on a phone.. have you ever tried photo features on all the phones that are out in the market? Sheesh.. and at the end he thanked everybody who worked on the phone, and all the families. Does that strike you as someone who is arrogant or someone who is truly appreciative of what all the employees do?

I can't quite understand what it is with everyone out here. Throwing a fit because no mac product was released? Um, they just launched a new product line.. get it? A new product.. a phone which runs OS X, looks fantastic and has the best features and user interface I have ever seen. Yeah, sure, it could have more features.. but I'm sure they put the best possible in it while keeping it at a reasonable price. This macworld was all about the new consumer electronics line of products. This doesn't mean they will slow down any mac-computer developments.. on the contrary. More revenue from ipod, iphone, etc. will allow them to make better computers. It just strikes me that everyone here is a whining baby with no clue about how a company can carry out business. "I'm gonna kill myself because they made a phone.. i want my 16 core mac pro right now or else i'll kill somebody!"

People here complain when Apple doesn't come out with a phone.. and they complain more when they do come out with it. And they actually psycho-analyze Steve Jobs, who the hell cares if you thought he was arrogant? If I were him, I would probably be an evil dictator. Knowing that I own a highly innovative company that has taken the world by storm with a line of fantastic products... please, I find Trump, Tyra Banks (my wife watches her show all the time) etc. much much more arrogant. If you really want to see arrogance.. you should see those 'My sweet 16' shows. :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 603

SkyBell

In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic about being serious.:D

25. macrumors 68000

I would love to see you come up with something revolutionary.

The hardware, what do you want them to do? Come out with a floating phone? They do have to make something that is relatively affordable. They can't possibly make a platinum apple phone with surround sound speakers floating around it and tag it at $20,000. You would complain anyway.