Steve Jobs: Kurzweil's New Owner??

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacInsider, Oct 29, 2004.

1. MacInsider macrumors newbie

Has anyone heard anything about Apple Computers pursuing the purchase of Kurzweil Music Systems?

I have been hearing people talk about it on several other Mac/Music rumor forums.

:confused:

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

That would be interesting, I haven't heard anything about that.

I had a Kurzweil 2500RS and it was way too complicated, I mean, if you buy a $3000 equipment you should be able to manage at list 80% of its capabilities but hardly 5% I could.

Kurzweil went bankropsy because they spent too much money in sound research and by the time the K2600 came out many soft syth were available and there was not such demand for such expensive hardware.

I have no idea what Jobs could be preparing for the Kurzweil line if that was the case, if it I am glad because he could make them more user friendly, they are very nice hardware and I still rather using hardware based synthetizer than software.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Kurzweil is known to have one of the best synths in the world..
    If apple owns Logic and Kurzweil... ..they will have their hand deeps down in the musicians pockets...
    If they bought Gibson too... :eek:

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Wouldn't Apple Corp have a field day about this? :eek:

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....probably not. Apple Computer already sells music creation software - Garageband, Logic, etc...not much difference if they add some music hardware in there too.....oh yeah!

6. MacInsider thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not so sure about that Duff-Man

Can you imaging being able to have your computer hooked up to a Kuzweil synth through firewire?

Can you imaging being able to use Kurzweil's synthensizers directly into Garage Band or Soundtrack?

Can you imaging recording a song through your new PC2R straight into Garage Band, exporting it to iTunes, and then uploading it to your iPod?

Can you imagine making your own little iMovies and then going right over to your synth to make a soundtrack!

I can imagine a lot of great things that could come out of this purchase! And if I could imagine a lot of things, think of what Apple's design team is trying come up with!!! Also, keep in mind that Apple did purchase Logic, and has come out with Garage Band and Soundtrack and Logic Express. All they need now is iSynth!!!!! :D :D

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Kurzweil Educational did just release a new version of their reading software for Mac. Possibly some crossed signals here?

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

If Apple were going to buy a music company, I'd go with Steinberg.

BTW, awesome avatar iMeowbot! Hilarious!

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I second that but shouldn't the 'tar fade to black after 35 seconds?

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I actually agree with all your points. I think you missed the point of my response though - I was referring to a previous post (which I quoted) regarding Apple *Corps* getting their shirts in a knot over Apple *Computer* potentially buying Kurzweil. Apple *Corps* is of course the Beatles, who are currently in litigation with Apple *Computer* regarding Apple *Computer's* forays into the music business......oh yeah!

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Mymemory says... stinky Kurzweil never had even an internal zip drive or firewire. That was why I didn't even bother in taking a look to the K2600 line, they still with SCSI!!! I think. A mixture between Kurzweil and Apple should be good as I said because those machines should be more user friendly.

Still... whay at this time electronic keyboars are not fully firewire compatible? you can feed power, midi and audio at same time.

Everytime I go to a Sam Ash store or something like that I see music industry so behind in so many thing, they are pointing in the wrong direction totally, the posrts still the same when we should be having all digital transmisions directly already. From your keyboard to your mixer to protools all digital data strait to the CD. For sure Apple is going to do the obvious regarding that and then they will be have the same success as they do with the iTunes that was just an obvious step after all.

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I would really like to see more done with the Gibson MaGIC protocol. It really does a nice job of blending old and new.
    I kind of wish that she spazzed out for longer, so there would be enough footage to make a "real" iPod ad out of it.

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I do not know about Gibson protocol but manofacturers are producing just crap, I go to the stores and I see crap, a bunch of boxes with lights and knobs in different shapes but that is it,

My first keyboar was a Kawai K1 and I have been a keyboards fan since a kid, with the DX7, D50, all the Roland series actually, all the samplers, the emulators, the emax 1 and 2 and I have seen the companies crashing. I have more than 14 years of experience and I see the industry going no where.

The last thing I saw interesting was the Korg Karma butKorg is very popular for good souns and useseless oversized enclosures, the Korg Keyboars have so much plastic around and I rather buy (just for that fact) a Roland keyboard as a controller.

But with the boxes everthing came down, now when you want a sound you have to buy a box. The only good unit I have seen is the Roland JP-8080 and the Virus probably as well as the Nord Lead but... where is the communications betweeen all those machines?

Look how far and fast the computer technology is going, scsi to fire wire, usb and firewire two and keyboars barely have a usb port.

All the keyboars should have (beside the rest of teh ports) one firewire port to manage EVERYTHING and the studios should have a one rack device with 32 port to manage EVERYTHING already and I mean MIDI, audio and posibly power.

Kurzweil made a machine so hard to manage, in all my years I have seen just one guy who could have his hand in managing the software, the Kurzweil is as complex as Soft Image or any 3D software. Everybody say the Kurzweil are great because after paying $3000 they can not say the contrary, I see ALL the musicians just punching the sounds as any other Morphus unit, no one have a clue on how to sample in the kurzweil and less how to asign the sound to a key.

If Apple is putting its hand on the music industry I hope they do it well because I rathe go to eBay and get the old discontinued stuff. For me what is in the market is not what the industry needs in the last 4 years.

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah, MaGIC does exactly what you describe, even the power. http://www.gibsonmagic.com/ Read about what they have, and you'll be begging manufacturers to adopt it too.

15. MacInsider thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

16. Poeben macrumors 6502

As with all new standards this will take some time. In time, mLan may become the new standard, but MIDI is here to stay, wheather via MIDI cables, firewire or ethernet.

And I can't think of a single synth worth using today that does not at least offer digital stereo I/O. Even the K2600 has an optional ADAT optical I/O.

Kurzwiel synths are quite a bit more complex than other synths of their time. They created their own way of doing things that allowed them to push the envelope beyond the norm. However, you hardly blame kurzwiel for Joe Musician's inability to RTFM.