Steve Jobs Lies to Customers (again)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by cryhavoc2112, Jun 7, 2004.

1. cryhavoc2112 macrumors newbie

I am getting tired of corporate America...they'll tell us anything...

When Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the first Power Mac G5s last June, he said that they would be available at speeds up to 3GHz within 12 months' time. IBM executives on last month's conference call refused to say whether the chipmaker would be in a position to allow Apple to meet that goal.

http://news.com.com/Apple+readying+new+Power+Macs?/2100-1042_3-5226969.html?tag=nefd.top

:cool:

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I didn't read the article, but judging from your description, couldn't they just be under a NDA and don't want to take the limelite away from Steve, and let him annouce 3gig speeds at WWDC?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I read the article, and I think your conclusion is correct - the people involved are under NDA and are not permitted to disclose that information until Apple releases it (which is widely expected to occur at WWDC 2004).

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Has it been 12 months yet?

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

again, i'll have to agree that IBM execs are under NDA. We'll see

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

7. iGav macrumors G3

I'm not saying anything... heheheh :eek: :p

That article is just a juxtaposition of info from the last few months... ;)

8. ecche macrumors regular

9. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Even if we don't reach 3, does that mean that Steve "lied" to us? In my eyes he just made a claim and if the claim didn't fall through as originally planned, he didn't lie to us. It's not like he would make that claim expecting not to reach 3.

P-Worm

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Lying is talking about a vapourware-style project to goose the stock when you have no intention of ever releasing it.

Steve made his claim based on IBM assurances for delivery, sometimes things happen that change the original date.

I notice nobody is crying Bill Gates lied to us, Longhorn isn't coming when he originally promised, Boeing lied to us -- where's the Sonic Flyer and/or the next generation 747, etc.

Sometimes the original date cannot be met or the company decides to cancel a product. If a company "lied", the SEC would nail em.

11. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Your joking right? There was lots of crying and whining...and M$ sucks, haha threads here....l ;)

12. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Let's get this straight. Being a CEO is exactly like being a politician. And one of the big things about politics is that you have to be a good bullsh*t artist.
    That's just the way it is. Don't have to like it but it's not going to change anytime soon.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Complaining that there are lies coming from Steve Jobs is kind of a strong statement. Like others the 12 month time frame isn't here yet.

14. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Lying

"Lying" implies a knowledge of truth. Saying something about the future that doesn't come to pass, isn't a lie. Steve Jobs therefore didn't necessarily lie.

15. reorx macrumors member

CEOs and politicians will tell us anything. Trust me, lying is the *least* of the bad things that corporations and governments do. At least Apple doesn't knowingly sell products that are both addictive and harmful to your health or send troops to fight a premature war based on "sketchy" information... Makes hollow promises or lying seem kind of benign...

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

:eek: I didn't mean it like that!! :eek: I meant it more like this ;)

17. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
  18. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Damn right it does. In some cultures (mainly my own) the tongues of liars are ripped out with rusty salad tongs and displayed on a spike in the centre of the village square as a foreboding reminder to townsfolk who may be considering a job as a CEO of a blue-chip mega corp. :rolleyes:

So give cryhavoc2112 some slack here will ya guys?

No?

Oh well .. can't say I didn't try.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A lie is a lie, but this ain't one of them.

I'm sure Steve truly and honestly believed that IBM could deliver 3GHz G5 chips in one years time. That's what IBM told Apple. That's what a top IBM executive said last summer during Steve's Keynote Address.....in one year, we'll give Apple G5's. Steve didn't lie. If it was never his intention to give us 3GHz PM's, then yes, its a lie. But his goals are tied to IBM's ability to deliver, and IBM has had more trouble than expected. Be realistic. Maybe I should never watch the (Toronto Maple) Leafs play another (hockey) game because they promise us each year that they'll contend for the Stanley Cup. Maybe they should have told us at the beginning of the year that there was no hope! :rolleyes:

IBM can't deliver what they said they could, and its Steve's fault?

20. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The whole human civilization lied to us: 2001 was supposed to bring the wonders of the future. I personally didn't see any big change in my area of the world. Find any monoliths in your neighborhood?

irmongoose

21. orangedv macrumors member

Hmmmm. Well I don't think Mr Jobs lied, but he hasn't exactly been straight with the buying public either. His comments (correct me if I am wrong) referred to the G5 reaching 3ghz by this summer. In other words, this is a strong line, invest in it for your business and expect to see revisions over the coming months. I remember an awful lot of posts on Mac forums saying the chip was great and we should see ramps in speed without long delays, largely as a result of Steves comments. No more G4 'scenario'. By failing to give us so much as a sentance as to why we have not had even a whisper about progress from Apple speaks volumes about Mr Jobs honesty. In fact the only people prepared to speak at all on the subject would appear to be Apple Legal. I remain highly suspicious.........

22. msilsby macrumors newbie

Do you think that this may have been because apple didn't want them too? Just look at how unhappy apple was when Toshiba let slip that 60Gb drives were available and that apple had pre-ordered 350 000 of the little buggers. Personally, I would be doing everything in my power to make my customers happy.

Think it through!

23. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I agree - Apple didn't want to ruin their sales by confirming an update. Apple ALWAYS does this - it's just part of the way they are. Apple's always been secretive, and probably always will be.

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I did, but I shot it with my paintball gun and it fell over one someone's dog :(

25. Makosuke macrumors 603

It really is funny how people seem to have an inability to tell the difference between a missed prediction and a lie. The dictionary might help if you're having trouble.

As for this situation, it ain't the end of summer yet (and even if the apparently soon-to-be-released revs are only 2.5GHz, that still leaves a few months for speed bumps), and IBM sure ain't going to be spilling the beans one way or another at this point--Apple never likes that. And, I SERIOUSLY doubt Steve would've thrown out something like that if he didn't believe it--he's not trying to pump and dump, or inflate, since he's a CEO in it for the long haul. Besides, after so many years of delay, the simple fact he came out with a prediction at all said something about his confidence.

Now, you can start screaming about IBM being Motorola II if you want, but it's a little early even for that at this point. Give 'em a few more months.