Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Did anyone else notice that Jobs looked a little thin and rough around the edges today? On top of that...he let baby beluga...err...Phil Schiller (he's another story) intro the fastest Mac ever??? WTF mate? He also let this guy named Scott demo most of the new Leopard stuff. Is Steve preparing an apprentice? Getting ready to turn over more and more responsibility? Just not feeling well today? What do you think? Am I the only one who noticed???

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
No, of course you aren't the only one.

I think this was an intro to other people besides Steve starting to take over these types of responsibilities (I think they are trying to get us ready for Steve retiring).

I don't think he looked any worse than he has in the past, but since he had all these guys up there today, it's a sign of things to come.

Kinda sad.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I don't know, I watched WWDC 2005 keynote last night, and it seems like he lost a lot of weight between then and today. He doesn't seem as filled out or as healthy (maybe the rest of Steve is hiding under Phil Schiller's untucked shirt...come on Phil, tuck in your shirt and use your products; i.e. Nike+iPod) It is kind of sad...:( :(

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Didn't he have cancer a couple of years ago? It always worries me when someone has any cancer problems...it always seems like it comes back someday. I am not saying he has had a relapse...it just makes you wonder if he looks ill and has lost a lot of weight.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Steve's appearance was noticeably different today. He looks much more thin, and didn't have nearly as much energy and presence as he has in past keynotes.

It does indeed look like he's ill. His limited role in the keynote seems to reinforce this speculation.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I don't think he looked ill. I think it's just Apple starting to get other faces out in the public eye. Jobs is the only public face they've had to date (with a little Schiller). He won't run the company forever.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
If only we could suck some of the fat out of Phil and give it to Steve. :p

Haven't seen the Keynote yet. I'll wait until Oprah ends, then I'll try connecting. :cool:

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I met him in May when Apple Fifth Avenue opened and the first thing I said to myself is that he looks really thin... I hope he is healthy :(

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
spicyapple said:
If only we could suck some of the fat out of Phil and give it to Steve. :p

Haven't seen the Keynote yet. I'll wait until Oprah ends, then I'll try connecting. :cool:

Yeah Phil's girth was very distracting. I think he's fairly charismatic, but that gut of his...

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I certainly hope not. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired in a few years but I hope illness doesn't take up much of his retirement time (when it happens ...)

Stay strong, Steve. :)

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I thought it was a little strange as well, and agree with Gary (and others) that it may be a sign of what is to come.

Though when the one guy (name eludes me now) was talking, all I could think of was Mad Eye, from Harry Potter.
madeye.jpg

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
what i noticed more than weight, was his inability to excite, to inspire, to RDF... he wasn't on the ball at all, he seemed distant, especially when he forgot what he was saying...

it was really sad watching and i hope it was just him feeling crap today.

and if he is grooming successors, let's hope that if the usually interesting and quite amusing Schiller does take over, that he isn't as nervous and stuttery as he obviously was on Monday. And loses some weight. And tucks in his shirt. And stops sweating as much.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Phil Schiller is a great guy I'm sure, but he just doesn't have what it takes to replace Steve Jobs as a public figure.

Suspended
May 27, 2005
MovieCutter said:
Is Steve preparing an apprentice?

I think that's it, the impact on the company of a total unexpected withdrawal of Steve would kill the market price.

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
Josh said:
I thought it was a little strange as well, and agree with Gary (and others) that it may be a sign of what is to come.

Though when the one guy (name eludes me now) was talking, all I could think of was Mad Eye, from Harry Potter.
madeye.jpg

BERTRON!?? hahaha. that's the funniest thing i've heard all day. :D

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I have to admit that too was a little disappointed to see Jobs hand over the mic to Phill and Bertron quite a few times. Although, I did like the third guy. Was it Scott? Anywho, we all look forward to his Steve-ness delivering his speech and for the most part, he wasn't even talking. Sad, but maybe he's trying to ween us over for when he retires. :eek: :(

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Gosh, don't you think maybe now that he IS healthy that he has hit the gym? Maybe he was one of the beta testers for iPod+Nike? Maybe more people were on stage to split the work load, etc.. Remember, Steve is now on the board at Disney. That has to take a serious chunk of time and a certain amount of focus away from preparing for speeches.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Have a little faith in the Steve. And making fun of Phil on account of his weight is a little more than messed up. This guy is behind most of the tastiest gems at Apple that we drool over all the time.

It's like the hot blonde chick, until you try and have a conversation with her. But the other way around. Yeah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.