Steve Jobs: Losing his touch???

Discussion in 'Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion' started by MovieCutter, Aug 7, 2006.

1. macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Did anyone else notice that Jobs looked a little thin and rough around the edges today? On top of that...he let baby beluga...err...Phil Schiller (he's another story) intro the fastest Mac ever??? WTF mate? He also let this guy named Scott demo most of the new Leopard stuff. Is Steve preparing an apprentice? Getting ready to turn over more and more responsibility? Just not feeling well today? What do you think? Am I the only one who noticed???

2. Guest

iGary

No, of course you aren't the only one.

I think this was an intro to other people besides Steve starting to take over these types of responsibilities (I think they are trying to get us ready for Steve retiring).

I don't think he looked any worse than he has in the past, but since he had all these guys up there today, it's a sign of things to come.

Kinda sad.

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I don't know, I watched WWDC 2005 keynote last night, and it seems like he lost a lot of weight between then and today. He doesn't seem as filled out or as healthy (maybe the rest of Steve is hiding under Phil Schiller's untucked shirt...come on Phil, tuck in your shirt and use your products; i.e. Nike+iPod) It is kind of sad...:( :(

4. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Didn't he have cancer a couple of years ago? It always worries me when someone has any cancer problems...it always seems like it comes back someday. I am not saying he has had a relapse...it just makes you wonder if he looks ill and has lost a lot of weight.

5. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Steve's appearance was noticeably different today. He looks much more thin, and didn't have nearly as much energy and presence as he has in past keynotes.

It does indeed look like he's ill. His limited role in the keynote seems to reinforce this speculation.

6. macrumors 601

stoid

If the rumors are correct the man has been under considerable stress dealing with the MPAA cartel and trying to help Apple leap further ahead as Microsoft continues to nap.

7. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't think he looked ill. I think it's just Apple starting to get other faces out in the public eye. Jobs is the only public face they've had to date (with a little Schiller). He won't run the company forever.

8. macrumors 68000

spicyapple

If only we could suck some of the fat out of Phil and give it to Steve. :p

Haven't seen the Keynote yet. I'll wait until Oprah ends, then I'll try connecting. :cool:

9. thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Watch the keynote, you won't utter those two words side by side again...

10. macrumors 6502a

SuperSnake2012

I met him in May when Apple Fifth Avenue opened and the first thing I said to myself is that he looks really thin... I hope he is healthy :(

11. macrumors 68020

If SJ is having a relapse, hopefully it's treatable.

12. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I stand corrected. :D

13. macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Yeah Phil's girth was very distracting. I think he's fairly charismatic, but that gut of his...

14. EGT
    macrumors 68000

EGT

I certainly hope not. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired in a few years but I hope illness doesn't take up much of his retirement time (when it happens ...)

Stay strong, Steve. :)

15. macrumors 68000

Josh

I thought it was a little strange as well, and agree with Gary (and others) that it may be a sign of what is to come.

Though when the one guy (name eludes me now) was talking, all I could think of was Mad Eye, from Harry Potter.
    [​IMG]

16. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

Core Image, Core Animation, Core Fat

17. macrumors G3

bigandy

what i noticed more than weight, was his inability to excite, to inspire, to RDF... he wasn't on the ball at all, he seemed distant, especially when he forgot what he was saying...

it was really sad watching and i hope it was just him feeling crap today.

and if he is grooming successors, let's hope that if the usually interesting and quite amusing Schiller does take over, that he isn't as nervous and stuttery as he obviously was on Monday. And loses some weight. And tucks in his shirt. And stops sweating as much.

18. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Phil Schiller is a great guy I'm sure, but he just doesn't have what it takes to replace Steve Jobs as a public figure.

19. macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs is an arrogant bigot.

20. macrumors member

LastBreath

I think that's it, the impact on the company of a total unexpected withdrawal of Steve would kill the market price.

21. macrumors 6502

BERTRON!?? hahaha. that's the funniest thing i've heard all day. :D

22. macrumors 6502a

I have to admit that too was a little disappointed to see Jobs hand over the mic to Phill and Bertron quite a few times. Although, I did like the third guy. Was it Scott? Anywho, we all look forward to his Steve-ness delivering his speech and for the most part, he wasn't even talking. Sad, but maybe he's trying to ween us over for when he retires. :eek: :(

23. macrumors 65816

Sedulous

Gosh, don't you think maybe now that he IS healthy that he has hit the gym? Maybe he was one of the beta testers for iPod+Nike? Maybe more people were on stage to split the work load, etc.. Remember, Steve is now on the board at Disney. That has to take a serious chunk of time and a certain amount of focus away from preparing for speeches.

24. macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Have a little faith in the Steve. And making fun of Phil on account of his weight is a little more than messed up. This guy is behind most of the tastiest gems at Apple that we drool over all the time.

It's like the hot blonde chick, until you try and have a conversation with her. But the other way around. Yeah.

25. thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

uh....ok