1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Steve Jobs - Microsoft will release X-Player.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by supergod, Jan 14, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

"What’s going to happen is that Microsoft is going to have to get into the hardware business of making MP3 players. This year. X-player, or whatever."

-http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10853916/site/newsweek/

A somewhat more interesting interview on the topic of macworld than all the other junk reporting so far. Steve Jobs seems quite certain that Microsoft is about to release a flagship media player: how serious do you think he is?

2. macrumors 604

Lacero

X-player? I don't think Steve was serious. He's just speculating that Microsoft needs to introduce something to seriously compete against the iPod.
    Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. macrumors 6502

While, he's obviously joking about the name. But is it really that proposterous? Sony was owning the videogames market and taking away share from PC when Microsoft introduced the X-Box, so there is some precedent. Plus it is clear that their current strategy is not working, and that they really want to beat Apple in this market.

4. macrumors 68040

Daveway

I found Apple's reason for not changing form factors more interesting.;)

5. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

x-player?....will of course microsoft will throw their hands into the ring but i hope at a different name.

Bless

6. macrumors 6502

Or he could have meant the letter "X" as a variable. He wouldnt be releasing news about microsofts new products at the MACWORLD keynote...

7. macrumors 6502

...on that note: Xbox is the most generic and uninspired name ever contrived. Even worse than playstation and gamecube. Sega was the only company with good product ames: especially dreamcast (so poetic!).

I almost think that if Microsoft were to release a pmp, it would be called X-360. Terrible.

8. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Master System, Mega Drive... they're not much better than PlayStation and GameCube really.

PS. Super Secret Microsoft Rumours, by Steve :p

9. macrumors 65816

runninmac

I love that article (well any interview with Steve). I think if Microsoft doesn't get in the market this year they never will because they would just be to far behind it seems, but then again they are a HUGE company so I could be wrong.

I think its funny/sad steve said that the Powerbooks/ iMacs had the perfect form factor. (I agree but I want to seem them keep on innovating it.)

10. macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

lol somebody is pissed off

11. macrumors 68000

wwooden

I like the last question in that interview, about if Steve would have a blog. He probably does have one, but it may not be public. It would be amazing to read a blog by Steve though.

12. macrumors 65816

runninmac

Whoa! They updated the article because that diffenetly wasn't there when I read it first. I would love to read Steve's blog, as just about anyone who is a member here would:D