Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Danny Boyle's upcoming Steve Jobs film has been selected as the Centerpiece of the 53rd New York Film Festival, which takes place from September 25 through October 11. The announcement was made by the Film Society of Lincoln Center, which hosts the NYFF each year.

SteveJobs-NYFF53-640px.jpg

Steve Jobs will be screened for audiences at the festival on October 3, about a week before the movie gets a wide release on October 9. New York Film Festival Director and Selection Committee Chair Kent Jones voiced excitement for the Aaron Sorkin-penned movie's Centerpiece selection at this year's NYFF, a position held in past years by movies like No Country For Old Men and Inherent Vice.
"You hear that a bio of Steve Jobs is being produced, and of course you see multiple possible movies in your head . . . but not this one. Steve Jobs is dramatically concentrated, yet beautifully expansive; it's extremely sharp; it's wildly entertaining, and the actors just soar--you can feel their joy as they bite into their material."
The 17-day film festival previously announced that its opening and closing night films will be Robert Zemeckis's The Walk and Don Cheadle's Miles Ahead, respectively. Tickets to the festival aren't exactly open to the public at large, but those interested can sign up to become a Film Society member, and provide a small donation, to receive "exclusive benefits" like early ticket access to NYFF screenings and events ahead of the general public.

These benefits reduce the cost of the festival to packages ranging between $300 and $1,250. There are also VIP passes available that begin at $5,000 and go up to as much as $20,000 to include multiple tickets, exclusive VIP seating, and exclusive NYFF53 commemorative items like the festival's official poster and a limited-edition tote bag.

Article Link: 'Steve Jobs' Movie Chosen as Centerpiece for 53rd New York Film Festival

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Would be nice to spend a weekend in NYC and catch this movie at the festival, but I will probably wait until I can rent it on AppleTV for 6 bucks. That seems way cheaper and more convenient for my lazy....:D

Damtoft

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Michael Fassbender will be the resurrection of Steve Jobs. This will be the best movie of the year, maybe even the decade?

Reactions: orbital~debris

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
Michael Fassbender will be the resurrection of Steve Jobs. This will be the best movie of the year, maybe even the decade?
Or it won't and everyone will forget about this movie.

I'd really like if we could get over Steve Jobs at some point. It's getting ridiculous. Soon, Steve Jobs statues ?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Or it won't and everyone will forget about this movie.

I'd really like if we could get over Steve Jobs at some point. It's getting ridiculous. Soon, Steve Jobs statues ?
You mean we don't have a single statue of the man? Not even on the Apple Campus? How is this possible. We need to start a campaign or a petition or something. This injustice must be righted and now.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:
:apple: :) :apple: ;) :apple: :cool: :apple: :p :apple: :D :apple: :eek: :apple: :oops: :apple: :rolleyes: :apple: o_O :apple:
:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Amanda Seyfried as Linda Lovelace, in Lovelace
Angelina Jolie as Mariance Pearl, in A Mighty Heart
Channing Tatum as Mark Shultz, in Foxcatcher
Daniel Radcliffe as Allen Ginsberg, in Kill Your Darlings
James Franco as Aron Ralston, in 127 Hours
Leonardo DiCaprio as Frank Abagnale Jr, in Catch Me If You Can
Leonardo DiCaprio as Jordan Belfort, in The Wolf of Wall Street
Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash, in Walk The Line

What links all those castings in biopics?
..The actor looks nothing like the real-life person they are playing.

But acting is not impersonating. If it was, movies would be very different indeed. And a lot less enjoyable.

I guess there is a subjective difference when the real-life character is so much more well known, as is the case here, with Steve Jobs. And I would predict that that will create a barrier of some kind with all of us when watching this film, even those of us defending the casting of a quality actor like Fassbender.

But take a look at those movies listed above again.. and if you've seen a few of them, how do you feel about them?
Did you enjoy them? Did you not enjoy them?
And was your enjoyment based upon how much the character looked like their real-life counterpart... or was it based upon the quality of the acting, the script, the plot, the cinematography, the style, the story, the tension, the supporting cast, the locations, the visual effects, etc etc etc.

Finally, it is foolish to judge a movie that you have not yet seen.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
He looks NOTHING like Steve Jobs.

If you would cast based on someone being a lookalike rather than the quality of their acting ability, you're missing the entire point. Do you think Meryl Streep is a dead ringer for all the people she portrays? Noah Wylie didn't look much like him either. However, Ashton Kutcher does, and look what a disaster that was.

Last edited:
Reactions: imanidiot

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
If you would cast based on someone being a lookalike rather than the quality of their acting ability, you're missing the entire point. Do you think Meryl Streep is a dead ringer for all the people she portrays? Noah Wylie didn't look much like him either. However, Ashton Kutcher does, and look what a disaster that was.

Meryl Streep is overrated. She could have a small three second role where all she does is far or play some annoying shrew of a boss in a chick flick and get an oscar nomination... OH WAIT A MINUTE, the latter actually happened!

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
And..... Is there a point to that obvious observation? I ask becuase I think it has been universally agreed that this is an actor and not a clone. Frankly I very much doubt that Steve could have played himself on screen.
Ya, there is a point. It’s tough to watch a story and believe that is the character the actor is portraying – Steve Jobs.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
Jobs was such an icon, making him look like even a little like Jobs would have helped. It is like casting Tom Cruise to play Dr. Dre.

Reactions: redAPPLE

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Jobs was such an icon, making him look like even a little like Jobs would have helped. It is like casting Tom Cruise to play Dr. Dre.
Pretty clearly it's not like that. And the majority of the typical public more than likely won't even realize that much of it at all, and many of thew few who even might most likely won't care enough anyway.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Amanda Seyfried as Linda Lovelace, in Lovelace
Angelina Jolie as Mariance Pearl, in A Mighty Heart
Channing Tatum as Mark Shultz, in Foxcatcher
Daniel Radcliffe as Allen Ginsberg, in Kill Your Darlings
James Franco as Aron Ralston, in 127 Hours
Leonardo DiCaprio as Frank Abagnale Jr, in Catch Me If You Can
Leonardo DiCaprio as Jordan Belfort, in The Wolf of Wall Street
Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash, in Walk The Line

What links all those castings in biopics?
..The actor looks nothing like the real-life person they are playing.

But acting is not impersonating. If it was, movies would be very different indeed. And a lot less enjoyable.

I guess there is a subjective difference when the real-life character is so much more well known, as is the case here, with Steve Jobs. And I would predict that that will create a barrier of some kind with all of us when watching this film, even those of us defending the casting of a quality actor like Fassbender.

But take a look at those movies listed above again.. and if you've seen a few of them, how do you feel about them?
Did you enjoy them? Did you not enjoy them?
And was your enjoyment based upon how much the character looked like their real-life counterpart... or was it based upon the quality of the acting, the script, the plot, the cinematography, the style, the story, the tension, the supporting cast, the locations, the visual effects, etc etc etc.

Finally, it is foolish to judge a movie that you have not yet seen.

People are about manners, way's of speech, peculiarities. We misunderstand ourselves in huge ways. In 5 minutes you'll forget about the dissimilarity and immerse in the miovie (if they did it right).

And:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.