Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new Steve Jobs film faced another disappointing box office performance this past weekend, with the Danny Boyle-directed movie dropping more than 69 percent in profit from the previous weekend to a $823,000 weekend gross. Most surprising, however, is the movie's removal from 2,072 theaters across the country in one single weekend, after initially premiering in 2,411 just over three weeks ago (via Cult of Mac).

steve-jobs-film-800x460.jpg

When the film was in limited release and preparing to go wide on October 23, the projections for its debut box office weekend were between $15 and $19 million. According to Box Office Mojo, to date, the overall lifetime gross of Steve Jobs is just hitting the projections for its opening weekend: $16,684,073. In the two weeks the movie was in a limited run in Los Angeles and New York, it displayed impressive numbers, earning the fifteenth spot as the highest grossing per-theater average film in movie history.

Unfortunately, when Steve Jobs debuted wide, it earned only the 7th spot at the weekend box office with about a $7.3 million take in its first three days. The disappointment of the film's performance is in direct contradiction to a bevy of positive reviews, even ones that hinted at Oscar nominations for Michael Fassbender and Kate Winslet over a month before the movie released.

Currently, Steve Jobs sits at 85 percent on the review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes, with a total of 156 positive reviews to 27 negative. With the holiday movie season kicking into gear after a slow October at the box office, it seems that Universal has ditched its initial plan of a word-of-mouth build-up for the movie. If Oscar talk continues for its stars, there's a possibility it could return to a few more theaters closer to the awards show.

Article Link: 'Steve Jobs' Movie Pulled From Over 2,000 Theaters After Flopping at Box Office

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Oh, so they are pissed their little plan didn't work. So bitter! They are already losing money...may as well let it stay in theaters until New Years at least.

Reactions: AleXXXa and 3568358

~HavoK

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Harsh. I never got around to seeing the movie although it looked really good.

I think the public is too inundated with Steve Jobs movies that it doesn't feel it needs to see another one, even if it's a compelling dramatization, not a boring documentary.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This was a main=stream propaganda "bone", paying a few precious people to keep them busy between other projects.

This film was slammed together quickly and shoved out without care. It's a series of corridors, through Jobs' life, with people yelling at each other about things most audiences don't hold significant. Much hope was heaped on this, but it had all the hallmarks of flop.

Reactions: 3568358

Craigwilliam

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Auckland
Movie studios need to get back into seeing things long term, with digital projection it shouldn't be that much more to keep the movie in cinemas. I guess I'm just annoyed because this no doubt will have a negative affect on the New Zealand release and will likely have a limited at best screening.

Reactions: orbital~debris

dianajp

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
I liked the movie.

Personally, I think they screwed up with the limited release. It got all the press on the limited release opening, and most places (like Phoenix, where I was on vacation, or HNL, where I live) you could not see the movie for another two weeks. By the time they went wide with it, it lost all its opening press momentum.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I get the feeling there won't be many Oscar or Golden Globe nods for this flop of a movie.

Reactions: AleXXXa

markniagara

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
The biggest problem was how they rolled out the film. Lots of people had heard about it many weeks ago, and wanted to see it, but it wasn't at their local theatre. Then when it finally was, the hype had already died. What a screw up, it was a good movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.