Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Link

(Fortune magazine) -- How's this for a gripping corporate story line: Youthful founder gets booted from his company in the 1980s, returns in the 1990s, and in the following decade survives two brushes with death, one securities-law scandal, an also-ran product lineup, and his own often unpleasant demeanor to become the dominant personality in four distinct industries, a billionaire many times over, and CEO of the most valuable company in Silicon Valley.

Sound too far-fetched to be true? Perhaps. Yet it happens to be the real-life story of Steve Jobs and his outsize impact on everything he touches.

The past decade in business belongs to Jobs. What makes that simple statement even more remarkable is that barely a year ago it seemed likely that any review of his accomplishments would be valedictory. But by deeds and accounts, Jobs is back.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
This would seem to be fairly logical, the transformation of the company has been incredible to say the least.

Edit: I have a feeling if he did take over the country it would look like the 1984 commercial.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
This would seem to be fairly logical, the transformation of the country has been incredible to say the least.

I take it you meant company, not country.

Maybe he ought to take a crack at fixing this mess we call a country.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
He certainly has had a mighty impressive decade.

I don't always necessarily like the way he and Apple work, but you can't take anything away from his unquestionable talents and success.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
He certainly has had a mighty impressive decade.

I don't always necessarily like the way he and Apple work, but you can't take anything away from his unquestionable talents and success.

Yeah, there are lots of things one could complain about but you can't deny the guy gets it.

Superlatives have attached themselves to Jobs since he was a young man. Now that he's 54, merely listing his achievements is sufficient explanation of why he's Fortune's CEO of the Decade (though the superlatives continue). In the past 10 years alone he has radically and lucratively reordered three markets -- music, movies, and mobile telephones -- and his impact on his original industry, computing, has only grown.

Remaking any one business is a career-defining achievement; four is unheard-of. Think about that for a moment. Henry Ford altered the course of the nascent auto industry. PanAm's Juan Trippe invented the global airline. Conrad Hilton internationalized American hospitality.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Yeah, there are lots of things one could complain about but you can't deny the guy gets it.

If I can end up being 1/4 of the professional that he is, Ill consider myself a very successful business man.

I'd love to pick his brain for just one hour over coffee. He seems like a great guy to just chat with.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The fact that the company continues to grow during the recession adds to it, he's a damn good business man.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Steve Jobs Named Fortune's 'CEO of the Decade'

102348-1984b_nseeff_computer.jpg

Fortune today named Apple CEO Steve Jobs "CEO of the Decade", highlighting his role in the remaking of multiple industries and propelling Apple to continued success despite difficult economic conditions. As part of the feature, Fortune profiles Jobs and offers an interactive timeline of major Apple events over the past ten years.
How's this for a gripping corporate story line: Youthful founder gets booted from his company in the 1980s, returns in the 1990s, and in the following decade survives two brushes with death, one securities-law scandal, an also-ran product lineup, and his own often unpleasant demeanor to become the dominant personality in four distinct industries, a billionaire many times over, and CEO of the most valuable company in Silicon Valley.
Also featured in the profile are a set of rare photos of Jobs over the years, a rundown of the "Top 10" moments in Jobs' career, and a series of testimonials from eight significant personalities in Jobs' industries describing what makes him unique.
Superlatives have attached themselves to Jobs since he was a young man. Now that he's 54, merely listing his achievements is sufficient explanation of why he's Fortune's CEO of the Decade (though the superlatives continue). In the past 10 years alone he has radically and lucratively reordered three markets -- music, movies, and mobile telephones -- and his impact on his original industry, computing, has only grown.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Named Fortune's 'CEO of the Decade'

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
So very cool. Good for Steve! I have a feeling he will live up to this reputation (as if he hasn't already) with the upcoming tablet introduction.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Nice one for Jobs. Lets hope he keeps up the good work into the next decade too.

ETA: That picture gallery linked in the original article is awesome. I particularly like the one of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs at Steve's house. Kudos on the Eames chair.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Congrats to you Steve! Keep up the good work and here's to many more years of innovation and creativity! God bless. ;)

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Good on ya, mate! Here most only think about the Apple connection, but reviewing his accomplishments in other areas should be required reading in business schools.

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
I wonder why he doesn't like furniture...

and what does he sleep on? an iBed?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
This guy is the driving force of the industry. Well deserved!

It's just amazing, all the comments here so far as positive, yet there are currently 4 negatives. I guess those are the Microsoft fanboys that can't stand hearing anything good about Apple. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.