Steve Jobs Nominated for Time Magazine "Person of the Year"

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NBC Nightly News Anchor Brian Williams has nominated Apple cofounder Steve Jobs for Time Magazine's "Person of the Year" award. Williams said in his speech nominating Jobs:
    If selected, Jobs would be the first person to receive the award posthumously. Steve Jobs was a mentor to Mark Zuckerberg, 2010's Person of the Year.

Time's Person of the Year is awarded to "a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine that "for better or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year.'"

Past technology-related awards have gone to American Scientists in 1960, the Apollo 8 Astronauts in 1968, "You" in 2006, representing the individual content creator on the Internet, and "The Computer" in 1982.

The award will be presented in December.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Nominated for Time Magazine "Person of the Year"

2. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Congratulations if you do get it. Steve certainly deserved it. His family and friends will be proud.

3. macrumors 6502a

Just cause he died? I was listening to Howard Stern, he literarly thinks that Steve Jobs personally invented the mp3 player and the touch screen. The touch screen in my Nintendo DS and pocket PC both in 2004 were invented by Steve Jobs. That's the reality for so many.

4. macrumors 68000

5. macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Wasn't this what Steve wanted way back then, but never got? Too bad he wasn't here to see this.

6. macrumors 65816

Well his company became the most valuable company this year, so it's fitting.

7. macrumors 65816

8. macrumors 6502

PecanEater

9. macrumors newbie

I think he should be inducted into the hall of ingeniosity too. Forget the Androidiots

10. macrumors 6502a

That's a valid point, still, I don't know if he would have been nominated if he hadn't died.

11. macrumors 6502

They missed their chance many times. To hell with them.

12. macrumors member

emwgradstudent

Rolling Stone

I am also pretty sure that the October 27 issue of Rolling Stone is the first time Steve ever appeared on the cover. I think he would have liked that as well. Appearing on the same cover of the same publication that the Beatles and Bob Dylan appeared on several times. Too bad he did not live to see it.

I hope he gets the Person of the Year award. I believe that he would have been nominated even if he hadn't died, since he resigned from Apple and it was the end of an era.

13. macrumors 6502

No other option really. And I don't mean that in a negative way. He had that much impact.

14. macrumors 6502

gmcalpin

…"Ingeniosity"?

15. macrumors 6502a

VanMac

16. macrumors regular

At first I disagreed because it would seem like a "pity prize" because he died prematurely. There were other years where he surely would have deserved it.

But with some more thought: his personality, his products, and the amplification of his personality and his impact in the public consciousness because of his death, made me reconsider. Also consider the popularity and iconicity of his products and his image, especially around the world--all points towards this honour (that is if Time Magazine still has such cultural capital). I am sure his face has become one of the most recognizable in the world.

This award often does not go to the person who has (practically) contributed most to humanity, but who has loomed large in the public imagination--which in many ways does make a huge impact.

Who might the other candidates be?

17. macrumors member

18. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Zuckerberg was person of the year last year ... Steve should of had this honour years ago :apple:

19. macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

what?

20. macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

I still can’t believe Zuckerberg won the award last year. Just like Obama winning the Nobel peace price, the prestige of both these awards has been tainted as a result.

21. macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Will *LTD* be available to accept the award on his behalf?

22. macrumors 6502a

Odd choice, given the criteria as "a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine that "for better or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year. This was probably his least influential year at Apple, a year where the company hasn't done much besides iterate on it's existing products.

23. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

24. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Howard Stern as a source of accurate information!!??:eek: That's an oxymoron.

Now, if you want accurate information - Fox News.:rolleyes::p

"...ingeniosity...". !!??:confused:

As far as Person of the Year - Jobs is no worse than many who have been named in the past.

25. macrumors regular

Ugh... macrumors just had to remind us of Time's POTY 2006, "You".

I admit, I never read that issue, but it just annoyed the piss out of me everytime I saw it on the newstand. I'm all for people-power and user-created content, but give me a break. How lazy and cheesy was that choice?!

Most Time readers, especially back in 2006, hadn't contributed a damn bit of content to the internet, and to the extent a small portion had, it wasn't anything of significant value. "You". Please.

Sorrry... </rant>