Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andom

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2006
Europe
Not sure how I feel about this. Sure, Steve is an icon of business, creative thinking, etc...

But how big an impact did he personally have on the world? He sure didn't do it alone.
Of course not. But most engineers, developers and designers may be brilliant in what they can do, but need sb to give them direction and tell them they can do better until they make really great stuff. For example, Woz was good, but too shy to present it and make it a product that actually can be sold to lots of people. You always need somebody to push you to your limits and do the organizational stuff to be really good. And doing so requires great capabilities and lots of energy. Jobs was a very rare great "make it happen" guy.

How many names of CEOs of big companies do you know? And how many of them do you remember after one year?

Laika37

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
Facebook did not cause the Arab Spring. But without it, without Twitter, the Arab Spring would not have been nearly as successful (or successful at all). Social media gave them the tools to succeed.

Steve Jobs was an awesome CEO, but he shouldn't be anywhere near Person of the Year. His contributions this year were limited, and even if he did plan for the future, I don't think the next generation iPhone and iPad are going to change the world as much as a transformed Middle East.

andom

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2006
Europe
Popular and sales has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT
It is who has changed the world the most.
And from the 4 to the 4S.........Please !
Gimmie a break
Facebook caused the Arab Spring !
Yeah ! Zuk gets some cred..
But SJ....Now ??.....Why ?? Cause he died ?
You just don't understand the concept dude

Oh. So what did YOU do in 2006 when YOU became POY?
Besides, I am not sure if actually facebook caused the Arab spring. It was the people.

If you think that the person who had the greatest influence on society should be POY, well, pick any year from the 80s up to today - it would still be Jobs

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I think POTY should go to Seal Team Six.

I have enjoyed much of what Steve gave the consuming masses and I don't deny that Apple has had a significant impact on the the computing and digital media industries.

But revenge just tastes better to me when I reflect back on this year.

SuperZeroIce

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Time's Person of the Year is awarded to "a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine that for better" or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year.'"

Really? Wonder if there are any deposed dictators on the list.
Not really, just some european nobodies like hitler and mussolini, and some ****** from Iran.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Just cause he died? I was listening to Howard Stern, he literarly thinks that Steve Jobs personally invented the mp3 player and the touch screen. The touch screen in my Nintendo DS and pocket PC both in 2004 were invented by Steve Jobs. That's the reality for so many.

I don't know how to reply to you in a polite way, but the RESISTIVE touch screens on your ***king NDS and PPC are *literally* crap.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Just I though I will share it....

Sad but true

PS. ...also is very sad that 2010 man of the year is the man who actually selling your personal info to get himself sick rich....no Facebook account for me

Attachments

• tumblr_ltlhwlIKKa1r5rn4eo1_500.png
    tumblr_ltlhwlIKKa1r5rn4eo1_500.png
    296.9 KB · Views: 69

RVNA

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Steve will most likely get it. Although not his most innovative year, he definitely deserves it.

Death has a funny way of making people much more popular, and historically significant. However, it would be wrong to place Steve in such a category as he truly did change the world.

Hope he gets it. :apple:

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I think POTY should go to Seal Team Six.

I have enjoyed much of what Steve gave the consuming masses and I don't deny that Apple has had a significant impact on the the computing and digital media industries.

But revenge just tastes better to me when I reflect back on this year.

Al-Qaeda had been pretty much decimated for the past few years. Osama was just a figure head that wasn't having much impact anymore. Killing him didn't change the world like the Arab Spring did. The Arab world was/is going through a revolution with hardly any influence from Al-Qaeda or Bin Laden.

The only way Seal Team Six is going to have a larger impact on the world, is if it leads to further conflicts with Pakistan that results in an all out war. I don't think we will know that for a few more years.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Just cause he died? ... [rant] ...

Zuckerberg got it last year. Zuckerberg. The guy the stole the idea of Facebook and used user's Facebook log in credentials to check up on their private email accounts. If he can win it, anyone can.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Just I though I will share it....

Sad but true

PS. ...also is very sad that 2010 man of the year is the man who actually selling your personal info to get himself sick rich....no Facebook account for me

Because you can't possibly care that much about someone you haven't even see.

Edit:

-1 for the TRUTH?

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Zuckerberg got it last year. Zuckerberg. The guy the stole the idea of Facebook and used user's Facebook log in credentials to check up on their private email accounts. If he can win it, anyone can.

Wrong though this was....this is so the american way...

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
Zuckerberg was person of the year last year ... Steve should of had this honour years ago :apple:
But to be fair to Zuckerberg, he has created something that has been used by many more people than anything Steve Jobs has created, so he has arguably affected their lives in a greater way. I know I'll get downvoted for saying that but whatever.

I mean I know it is the internet as a whole which had an effect on this, but no one can underestimate the influence which facebook had on the uprisings around the world in recent times, e.g. in Libya and Egypt amongst others. Mark Zuckerberg has had a big impact on the world, anyone who says otherwise is just wrong.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Wasn't this what Steve wanted way back then, but never got? Too bad he wasn't here to see this.

Yup, when the Mac was launched in 1984, Steve Jobs was in the running to be person of the year. One of the lines floated was "The Man Who Beat 1984."

However, Steve getting ace'd by the Apple board that summer and various board members influence at Time (not to mention IBM'ers who had sharper teeth back then) via martini lunches killed that possibility.

Looks like Steve will have the last laugh!

MacFever

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
I had predicted this after he died in October that he would be the person of the year on Time Magazine.

without a doubt.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

To the guys who think its just becaused he died are you really that stupid?? Apple became the most valuable company this year. Not bad since just over 10years ago it was close to bankruptcy based on that alone he deserves it not to mention the fact that he has changed so many sectors which no one has even got close to achieving

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.