Steve Jobs on an Apple Television Set: 'I Finally Cracked It'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 21, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Rumors of an Apple television set have been circulating for years, but the company has repeatedly expressed doubts about the feasibility of entering the market. Steve Jobs himself noted that the current environment of "balkanized" cable operators controlling everything through their own set-top boxes makes it difficult to envision a go-to-market strategy for Apple.

[​IMG]
    But Walter Isaacson's forthcoming biography of Jobs suggests that Apple may have developed a solution to those ideas, stoking optimism for an Apple-branded television set. Jobs' comments were revealed in an excerpt published by The Washington Post.
    The report notes that it is not clear what Jobs meant by having "cracked" the television problem, but it seems to focus on leveraging Apple's new iCloud service and potentially existing iTunes Store content, all within an easy-to-use television set.

Article Link: Steve Jobs on an Apple Television Set: 'I Finally Cracked It'

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors member

NelsonB

if apple made a tv... oh it would be so sleek and sexy id buy that right away!

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors newbie

When that comes out it will revolutionize TV the way they do everything else. I'm in line for this one!

6. macrumors regular

Why is Fermat's Last Theorem running through my head?

7. macrumors 6502

MXChristian11

wow, sure does stir a bunch of ideas up. If Jobs did it himself, it must be revolutionary.

the wait begins.

8. macrumors P6

Peace

Sounds like a new division for Apple,Inc.

Televisions.

9. macrumors 6502a

By the time the book comes out, I can just piece all these excerpts together and not have to buy a copy!

10. macrumors P6

Peace

Na. I think the book is like 500 pages.

Lots of good stuff to read.

11. macrumors member

Wonder if it is based on using Siri too? No more remote with a ton of buttons, optional voice interface? Display anything on your ipod/ipad/iphone, imac, icloud, and do everything a regular tv does with broadcast tv....

12. macrumors 6502a

I think he meant that he found a way to give the user all they needed through simple, intuitive design.
    Now, look no further than crappy azz Sony and that ************ Sony internet tv. I was in the Sony style store several months ago and saw that trash. I have no effing idea what the hell anything did on that 40 plus button remote. And I'm sure most of that crap didn't work anyway.

13. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Good thing the book is like 700+ pages :cool:

An actual Apple TV, I'm sold.

14. macrumors newbie

If this TV has built in cameras that work like the Kinect developers would have a fun time creating apps for the thing.

15. macrumors 68000

BC2009

At least I won't have to wait in line or reserve a copy of this biography when buying on iBooks. I can't wait to read it.

Ever notice how digital media has destroyed the ability to hype a music or book release with long lines of people clamoring to be the first to own it so they don't have to wait for the shelves to be restocked?

Now the release of a book or an album is simply a matter of tapping a virtual button to download it.

Just imagine if somebody makes a virtual iPhone or iPad -- then you would not have to wait in line for that either. But then we'd all have to be living in a virtual world.

16. macrumors regular

I won't even need to read the book when it comes in at this rate. ;)

17. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Get rid if cable channels? As much as we'd all love for that to happen, you KNOW there are too many special interests to make a product like that work the way it really needs to right out of the box. Not unless you plan on buying all of your content from iTunes, and that can get rather pricy if you aren't careful.

18. macrumors 68030

TallManNY

No I didn't notice that at the last Harry Potter book release.

19. macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

20. macrumors 6502a

I'm definitely going for the hard back, just because I want to add it to my Apple collection.

21. macrumors 6502

Isn't Apple's hurdle with tv shows and movies the same as it has been for years? Unless all the networks, channels, and studios are on board, people will still depend on Cable and Satellite.

The only way I see this working is if Apple partners with Cable or Satellite companies, like they did with the phone carriers, to build the hardware and software that delivers their content.

22. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

Give it a rest. How's that sub-$500 Android tablet and sub-$100 GoogleTV working out for you?

23. macrumors 603

Stella

Personally, I find my set top box easy to use!

"Steve Jobs himself noted that the current environment of "balkanized" cable operators controlling everything through their own set-top boxes makes it difficult to envision a go-to-market strategy for Apple."

I find this quote funny. He's complaining about operators control over TV content. Apple do exactly the same thing in their product line.

24. macrumors member

It would definitely be in the high-end of the market, however it wouldn't be more expensive than TVs in that range... the size of the potential TV is what I'm wondering... 1 size fits all? several sizes?

25. macrumors 6502a

Surprised how open he was about unannounced products and strategies.