Steve Jobs Once Considered Killing Apple's Pro Products

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ken Segall, the creative director behind the Think Different campaign and author of Insanely Simple, a book about his experiences creating advertising for Apple, writes in a blog post about Apple's "evolving view of 'Pro'" that Steve Jobs once considered killing Apple's entire line of Pro products.
    [​IMG]
    Jobs eventually decided to keep the pro products around, but in recent years Apple has been shifting its pro products. For example, the company completely revamped its Final Cut video editing suite, slashing the price and making it significantly simpler to use pro features -- though a vocal group of Final Cut Pro users were unhappy with the changes.

The Mac Pro has gone three years without a significant update, though Apple will, as promised, release a completely redesigned Mac Pro later this year that is unlike any professional machine Apple has made before.

Segall goes on to argue that Apple is pushing 'pros' in a new direction, saying that making software powerful and easy-to-use for more customers is more important than making software that is simply powerful. He says that "Apple is walking to a place that's entirely new" with its new products, while "asking the pros to walk with them."

Article Link: Steve Jobs Once Considered Killing Apple's Pro Products

2. macrumors 6502

blacktape242

SO happy that didnt happen!

APPLE NEEDS PRO products!!!!!!!

3. macrumors member

Definitely not surprising.

4. macrumors regular

Steve would have never allowed... wait

5. macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

It still looks like a trash can or an air purifier.

6. macrumors 68000

Isn't a good CEO supposed to consider just about any option?

7. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

We're fine with the walk; it's the fact that we're blindfolded and stepping on rakes that gets to us.

8. macrumors 68020

flat five

i thought they already got rid of all their pro products?
    or maybe i've just been reading the mac pro forum too much
    :)

9. macrumors 65816

Four oF NINE

The important news here is that Steve Jobs decided against doing that.

10. macrumors member

Yes, sometimes the option is to kill off a product segment. Apple's done that many times--it's what the analysts refer to as cannibalization.

11. macrumors 6502a

And this matters because…?

12. macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I'm very glad it didn't happen and think it would have been a bad move on Apple's part. I believe Apple's pro products have more value to Apple than their immediate ROI and Steve might have lost sight of this.

On other news, can't wait for my new Mac Pro!

13. macrumors 65816

A price slash for the Mac Pro would be very nice. A smaller device cannot be the only "shifting" going on.

14. macrumors 68030

needfx

pro means making a living off an art/skill

most of us are hobbyists anyway

15. macrumors member

I was about to buy a Mac mini for a home server for graduation, but when I saw the pro at WWDC; I'm glad that I waited. This Pro seems to be exactly what I want and I didn't even think it was possible. I didn't even know how much I wanted something like this.

16. macrumors member

afin

I mean, I would think less of him if he hadn't at least considered the "easy" money move.

17. macrumors 68020

flat five

because it was better when it looked like an air conditioner or a cheese grater or, well, all sorts of different boxes?

i don't really know.

18. macrumors member

Pro is needed for the R&D that trickles down to the consumer products later. Need both to drive each other.

19. macrumors member

This is exactly what I would foresee happening too.

20. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Stating the obvious here, but that explains the X-serve's demise in early 2011, and also could have been the reason for the long delay of the new MacPro. :( :apple:

21. macrumors G4

I'd say the ONLY reason to buy a Mac at all is because there is soe software that only runs on Macs, like Logic, Final Cut and so on. If they kill of that what is the point of a Mac. Just and expensive way to run a web browser. I'd buy a Google Chrome book.

22. macrumors 6502

I assert that it did.

23. macrumors 65816

every 6 months, there is always a damn idiot to release a so-called secret about what Jobs could have done just to get some news about him in the media :rolleyes:

this time Ken Segall, next time another guy who knew a small detail about Jobs :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 68000

xlii

So glad Apple didn't cancel the 17" MBP. I guess he forgot to mention that one.

25. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

What seems to be happening is that though their hardware can still claim to be "pro," the software is now "prosumer." I like the new Logic a lot -- but I don't work in a NY studio. I like the new Final Cut better than the older versions -- but I don't make Hollywood movies. It's what the pros think that matters if you're making pro apps.

It's one thing for Apple to "ask the pros to walk with them." But if the pros start walking elsewhere (which many seem to be doing), how much longer will Apple keep their pro line on life support? Canceling it completely could have a ripple effect. I teach multimedia production, and if pros no longer use Apple products then I'll have little reason to teach using them. Then Apple's educational market would begin to dissolve as well. It's a slippery slope they're on.