Steve Jobs paid $1 a year?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ----Bowie----, Nov 7, 2004.

1. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

I heard that Steve Jobs has only a symbolic one share of Apple and is paid $1 a year. Is this true? Does he get all his money from Pixar, or does he still have all that money from the earlier days of Apple? He must really like making the best computers in the world! :) :) ;) ;) :cool: :cool:

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yes, it is true that Apple only pays Steve $1 a year. (what's the minimum wage by chance in California?)

He gets all his money from the stock market, buying stocks, investing and such.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

His compensation is in the "other compensation" column on the 10-k and seems to be quite a bit -- probably $40 million or more a year.

Basically stock he cannot sell for 12 months or 24 months depending on which Rule 144 stock it was.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Steve gets 40 mill a year??????

How bout ya drop the price of the PM's there then bud.

Spread the wealth brotha.

5. iceTrX macrumors regular

Since he can't trade in his stock options for a long time, all it does is give him more control over the company (as he will be owning more of it). On another note, he is one of the few CEO's that probably deserve to get highly paid as he started Apple, and resurrected Apple with his vision(s). Apple today completely reflects Steve Jobs and his vision (especially MacOS X, iLife, iTunes, and the design of all Apple hardware).

6. Macpoops macrumors 6502

He gets a 1 dollar salary and a bonus just like alot of the other working people in this world only he gets tens of millions of dollars for his bonus. Hell if that was the case wouldn't you work for a dollar to, just to get heathcare

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

At least he can make a 20 minute long distance call with that salary:)

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Even if he was paid in that much cash, you wouldn't notice a real price difference. FY 2003 sales were $6,207,000,000, so Teh Steve would be getting about $6.45 of every $1000 in sales (and a lot of that is wholesale).

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Pixar

Pixar must bring in some money for Steve as well. They are the hottest animation studio around with a perfect batting average, to date.

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Ohh, I'm sorry Mr Jobs, your salary certification is not enough and we can't give you the credit, maybe you have other incomes to cover your request...

:rolleyes:

11. Pixeled_Apple macrumors member

Whoh!

$1 a year!?! Damn... thats pretty harsh :p

Damn... Man... No wonder he gets $1 a year.... its too much for him... give some to me m8 ; and rest of the mac/pixar addicts :p ;) :D

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the vast majority of sj's over 2.4 billion comes from pixar...though he made money leaving after apple after selling his shares in the past, and from next, and has made money since his return, around 200 million total from 1975 to present, apple inc is a volunteer job by comparison to what pixar has made him

if pixar continues on its predictably successful pace, steve jobs will one day surpass donald trump who some say is worth 6 billion dollars

by comparison, on a bad day, paul allen or bill gates are worth no less than five times that...and it certainly can't be attributed to microsoft's superior products ;)

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Money isn't everything, although it is nice to have.
    Studies have shown that money is not the highest motivator in job performance, etc. Things like job satisfaction, goals, appreciation, etc. often rank higher.

Steve is a visionary, and his motivation apparently comes from changing the way we do things.

14. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

According to the 2003 Pixar annual report, Jobs' annual salary from Pixar is 52 dollars.

All additional compensation (long term or securities) is 0 dollars.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

So now we are up to $53
    Anyone feel like taking up a donation for Steve? :p

16. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

He doesn't get 40 mil a year. Since he came back as the interim CEO and then CEO he has been paid $1 a year. In 2003, the board decided to award him the previously mentioned compensation, but that was just a one time compensation not a yearly thing.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I didn't see it specifically but I know the board gave him a "G5" , Gulfstream V that is. A $40m jet and paid the taxes too if I remember right.

18. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

There has to be some tax breaks in receiving $1 a year.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not quite $40 million, but the average was close.

2000 ?

2001 84.5 Million (jet shifted from 2000 due for taxes)

2002 3.6 Million

2003 75 Million (in exchange for 27.5 million in underwater stock options)

20. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

yeah, but my point was that it was a one time event, not part of his regular pay. i didnt want anyone to get confused and think that he got payed 40mil a year. that was a one time compensation that occured in 2003.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The 40 was a ballpark guess for his recent average, which will probably change once again when the FY 2004 10-k is released.

But he's not exactly doing this for nothing, the company is taking care of him -- he's just taking the money in a highly unusual manner.

Which look a lot like performance bonuses, which isn't a bad thing at all -- since most CEOs get huge signing bonuses before they do anything.

22. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You got to earn it...brotha :rolleyes:

Just start your own revolutionary company from the ground up, endure 25+ years of ups and downs, and then enjoy the profitable monster you have created.

The man deserves every penny.

23. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well, I think we can all agree that Steve is probably not poor by any means. If not in salary than through some other means, I think he is doing pretty well.

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

"salary" isn't everything as the rich people in this country can attest to

the main way for the majority of people to become rich is to inherit it...for the rest of the rich, it's mainly through successful real estate investments and small business ventures...none of which include "salary" ;)

i hope steve jobs one day surpasses bill gates, but bill is no less than 20 times richer than jobs so it won't happen in this lifetime...when i was young, my hope was that one day i would wake up and bill gates would disappear as if he were a character from a bad dream