Steve Jobs Pitches Cupertino on Stunning New Apple Campus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 7, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Late last year it was revealed that Apple purchased a 98-acre campus from Hewlett Packard, just up I-280 in Cupertino. Last night, Apple CEO Steve Jobs, in trademark black turtleneck and jeans, explained Apple's plans for the space to the Cupertino City Council. Here's what the new 4-story building holding 12,000 employees will look like when it's completed in 2015:

[​IMG]

As Steve describes it:
    The facility will be 80% landscaping, with most of the parking underground, compared to 20% landscaping with all above ground parking currently. The current campus has 3,700 trees and Apple plans to increase that to more than 6,000 trees, including "some apricot orchards."

[​IMG]
    Apple also plans to build its own energy generation facility using natural gas, with the electricity grid as a backup.

One of the city councilors asked what the citizens of Cupertino would get from the new campus, and in particular brought up a free Wi-Fi network, like Google offers in Mountain View. Steve responded that Apple was the largest taxpayer in Cupertino and he felt that the tax benefits to having a company like Apple in Cupertino was benefit enough and the city should be providing a service like that.

"If we can get out of paying taxes, we would be glad to provide free Wi-Fi."

Article Link: Steve Jobs Pitches Cupertino on Stunning New Apple Campus

2. macrumors 68040

boss.king

That looks freaking amazing. Wonder what the price tag is for a place like that...

3. macrumors member

That is awesome. Wonder how long it will take to complete construction...

4. macrumors 6502

That design looks awesome. SJ in his signature black turtleneck. It does sound like a bit weak though.

5. macrumors 601

Moyank24

They really are trying to make it look like the Mothership. That looks pretty sweet.

6. macrumors regular

I love that Steve is still wearing his black turtle neck and jeans... even presenting to the local council.

7. macrumors 6502a

8. Chaos215bar2, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

macrumors member

The amount of open land in this design is amazing.

9. macrumors regular

Natural gas? Go with Solar even better for the environment at only 4x the cost. ;)

Also Sterling Archer said he wants his turtle neck back.

10. macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

It does look amazing but I hope it isn;t called that.

11. macrumors 6502a

So is this going to replace the existing campus, the old one goes up for sale, or just supplement it, by being the new headquarters with the old one repurposed as a satellite campus?

12. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that they're even building an underground, high-speed subway to connect the two campuses together.

Incredible.

EDIT: Found the source (Cult of Mac).

13. macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

That was better than the Keynote the other day.

14. macrumors 68000

sparkie7

holeee guacamoleee! :D that will be amazing grace when its built. imagine they will grow organic tomatoes and beans+ to make vegetarian burgers on site

15. macrumors regular

16. macrumors member

Nice try, City Councilor

Good luck trying to negotiate with Steve Jobs if you're in Cupertino. I mean, shouldn't he have stacked the city council by now with all iDrones? How much of the city's population is Apple employees?

17. macrumors newbie

Yes

Good for Apple and especially Jobs, I think they deserve a new campus. Great to see him so healthy too! :)

18. macrumors 68000

19. macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Verging 1 billion+ upwards probably.  will still have lots of coin left in the purse afterwards

20. macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Was the council's request for free wifi in jest, or are they retarded?

21. bitsoda, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

macrumors member

I love how Steve knows he's the smartest person in the room as he assures the city councilman that he has no need for using their third-rate touchscreen drawing technology.

"I don't need to draw on the screen; you can see it clearly." - SJ

22. macrumors 6502

They should do a combination of solutions.

All that roof space would be good for the solar panels and all that land would be good for a few windmill generators as well.

23. macrumors 6502

Is it all one giant window stretching all the way around the building?

24. macrumors 6502

Mayor tries to get Jobs to build an Apple Store in Cupertino, showing him how much he loves his ipad.

25. macrumors G4

*LTD*

Apple applying their tech design prowess to architecture. In a big way.

Love it.