Steve Jobs Product Teasers

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

With MacWorld just a day away, readers are reminded of some teasers for 2004 from Steve Jobs in a November Analyst Meeting Conference Call:

2. macrumors member

Whats it going to be!

How much of it is going to be software and hardware based I wonder?!? Just another day and we'll all find out. I really hope that tis an awsome release of new things. Fingers crossed...

Macmarino

3. macrumors newbie

Well,
    since this is news from november, it's not reaally news. Good you reminded us though...
    We will soon know if these things will happen at MacWorld

4. macrumors regular

I am looking forward to a speed bump in PowerMacs, just as an indication that the Rev B later this year is on track (That's the one I want before I upgrade my G4).

But talk of new software always gets me excited - it's the real difference between Macs and PCs. And there's been heaps released over the past couple of years.

Let's hope the gap widens even more.

5. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

ha rumors that jobs said... classic.

6. macrumors 68000

Squire

Good. I like the digital hub. That's one of the things that attracted me to Macs in the first place. But what other products would fit into one's digital lifestyle? The set-top box or something for video, a PDA, a phone, a camera, a universal remote control...

Sorry. Just thinking out loud there.

I think this MacWorld seems eerily low-key and, therefore, I bet we'll be hit with a few big surprises. Hardware is always nice but because of the price tag, I'm more interested in software releases.

Squire

7. macrumors member

Good idea. I'm on my third Rev A G5 dualie!

(PSU noise still here although better than the first two).

8. macrumors regular

its kind of annoying the way the interviewer was asking about changing processor families. i mean with the release of the G5, that should have put that rumor to bed. Surely there is no uncertainty that PowerPC is the way to go for apple. what is the obsession still there that apple will move to intel family?!? Especially when you look at the roadmaps from IBM of their Power Series.

9. tny
    macrumors 6502

The reviewer must have been reading Enderle (or must have been Enderle). There are some idiots who simply can't imagine why Apple won't go Intel, and eventually go Wintel compatible. At lot of that has to do with the question of whether Apple is competing with Dell in the zero-sum market share game, or simply looking to increase revenues and profits each year from the year before.

BTW, I've been shocked that there haven't been any web leaks this weekend. After the G5 leak, and the Time iMac leak, and a few other such "slip-ups," I had pretty much decided that they were carefully orchestrated leaks designed to increase the anticipation for the keynotes. Guess not - unless there's nothing very exciting for this year's keynote (and I suspect there will be at least one nice surprise).

10. macrumors member

24 hrs left!

I can't wait. Everything has been so hush hush about this one. It's a new year, and big things were already in the works for the new year that we knew, the pepsi deal, AOL, etc..

I have a feeling because info on this years MWSF has been so low key Jobs is going to drop a nuclear bomb or two during the keynote :) that will "shock and awe" the world. But i'm sure it will more realistic be some major carpet bombing instead and not quite nuclear. But i think hes going to bring out some amazing new stuff. As he mentions Apple is sitting on a TON of NEW and INNOVATED things. I think they are just waiting for the right time to release them. IMO Apple is sitting on a huge vault of goodies.

11. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm concerned about Jobs' attitude towards iPod, ITMS and other players.....

The Microsoft of Music Stores? Blah....

Work with people and don't work to box yourself up in a corner. :(

As for the R&D, that's great. Make the iPods better and cheaper.

D

12. macrumors newbie

Well it's odd for Apple to say "Nope. We're staying alone on this" and then to do cool stuff like re-release KHTML code back to the open-source community. odd.

13. macrumors regular

Well, in the case of KHTML they didn't have a choice, it's LGPL. So they can keep Safari closed, but the backend "webkit", has to remain open.

But I think it's indeed very weird that they don't cooperate. They said they like standards, because it makes it easier to cooperate. I mean, iPod is cool, but if they have to make every music device themselves so it will be itunes compatible, that's allot of work that could be spent better on osx. (I'm thinking of car-aac-player, integrated hifi stuff, a seperate module for more expensive hifi equipments, settopboxes, ...)

14. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

At least there is no more "Beyond the Rumor Sites... Way Beyond"
    Indeed, nothing is really spicing up this MacWorld.
    Some cool rumors though, especially the mini iPods!
    Still, I kinda think Steve does have a nice surprize up his sleeve, as it is the Mac's 20th birthday.
    Cant' wait!

15. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Calm before the storm? It is a different approach then some previous MWSF....

Maybe just understated hype....:D

D

16. macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

Good catch by arn, I totally forgot about that interview.... it all begins to fit together.

17. macrumors regular

Steamboatwillie

iPhoto

I for one would love to see iPhoto be rethought and blow my mind! That's one thing I love about Apple software is that it always (usually) has way more than I would have imagined.

18. macrumors regular

Well, you never know Apple is using the rumor circuit to either hype or completely divert attention from certain things. I can't imagine Apple doesn't know a few sources of ThinkSecret that they can manipulate.

19. macrumors 65816

Photorun

It is odd that we haven't heard a rumor site get a friendly greeting from Apple Legal, either this is not going to be all that exciting a MW or Apple this time has done an INCREDIBLE job of keeping all their secrets close to their vest.

20. macrumors regular

Wait...I thought AAC *was* the open standard around here...

There are people here who know more about this than I, but I thought that AAC and Fairplay *were* open standards that anyone could easily adopt.

It's not really Apple's fault that, to now, the market has adopted WMA - which I understand to be much more restrictive and obviously proprietary.

Shouldn't we really be asking Dell and Rio why thier iPod knockoffs don't work with ITMS?

Anyone who knows the technical side of this want to chime in?

thanks.

21. Guest

Regarding this statement from Jobs. I've read much made of his "stutter"...the "uh"...as if he almost slipped on something. Be careful here. I actually listened to the audio stream for this conference call...it was much less than this...it was just Steve talking. Could have easily be read as:

"We've got some great stuff coming up."

No big news there. Especially given Steve's predilection for hyperbole. I like Steve and all, but if here one more time "this is best thing ever" from him, I'm going to puke.

22. macrumors 68020

Re: Wait...I thought AAC *was* the open standard around here...

AAC is an open standard.

Fairplay is a third-party developed, Apple-controlled mechanism. I haven't heard anything about Apple licensing FairPlay yet.

23. elo
    macrumors regular

People always take Steve's "best thing ever" (etc.) comments as marketing spin, but I think they are less cynical than that. I think he genuinely does get excited about Apple's innovations, and this is reflected in his keynote speeches. Also, this is often his only opportunity to recognize the contributions of his employees who are responsible for these products. Since he is known for being quite a demanding CEO, I think he wants to make sure his employees know that their work is appreciated.

That's not to imply that selling the products to the world isn't a major concern during keynote addresses, but I think the enthusiasm is genuine.

elo

24. macrumors 68000

dongmin

Year of the Laptop, take 2

With Panther and G5 Power Macs in the bank, 2004 will be focussed on the Digital Hub and PowerBooks. Ha Ha, this will be the Year of the Laptop. Last year's was just a decoy...

25. macrumors member

i agree with elo...he even uses ichat and the isight to talk to bono and mick, when i see him up there, he looks like a kind in a candy store, he genuinally loves what he's announcing and thinks its gonna be great. and people seeing that ge's genuine sells apples more than anything else